Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not sure if this is a bug? Can someone check? SQL error with Maximum Field Length

Default Re: Not sure if this is a bug? Can someone check? SQL error with Maximum Field Length

Look, none of this makes any sense to me. Why should I research who the developers are? It's enough for me to know that they must be working hard and don't need to be troubled with bugs that don't exist. that's all I was trying to accomplish. It was my honest intention to show them a little respect by not wasting their time.

Through my time spent here I have a rough idea who some of them are. I didn't know Sandking was one of them. Besides it's totally irrelevant since Sandking didn't tell me it was a bug, he just instructed me on posting rules.

I feel quite upset to be honest. I was just trying to help. I'd solved the problem myself, and I wish I'd never even mentioned the whole thing. I thought the devs would be happy with me for trying to help without impacting their time unduly, and instead, one by one they've weighed in against me.

Mick in particular told me "since both me and Sandking, two of the Open-Realty developers have told you to post it as a bug report" which was really weird since Sandking had told me no such thing and neither had he even though he used the past tense.

Next time I find something that might be a bug I have two options. I can either post it in the bug report tracker, even though I am not an OR expert and may well be wrong, or I can just keep it to myself.

My preferred route was to get a little friendly confirmation. Look where that got me :(

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: Not sure if this is a bug? Can someone check? SQL error with Maximum Field Length

Paul and Mick give me too much credit. I am far more of a forum moderator here these days than an OR developer. Steering you to the proper forum section only helps ensure that the right "eyes" are looking at your post.

As such, I would rather you (or anyone) post any suspected bugs to the bug tracker, because posting suspected bugs in the forums does not necessarily mean they will ever get acted upon.

I hope that makes sense and perhaps clears things up a bit.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

No problem, I understand the moderation and am grateful for it. You know I was really just trying to be polite to the devs by getting confirmation here before I posted the bug. Hence the title of my post!

I'm still baffled by the slightly hostile tone of Paul and Mick's replies. I feel like I did something wrong, yet it seems to me that it was plainly obvious I was trying to help, and to save them time. I was simply nervous of posting a bug that wasn't a bug.

I have posted the bug report. If it turns out it's not a bug maybe those two guys will think it was a better idea that another member of the community here in the forum helped me out first, rather than they having to do it themselves.

My intention was to score some brownie points by helping out as best I can! It feels like I've annoyed everyone. For that I am sorry.

sorry there was another post similar to this that me and SK both told the guy to post a bug report and he never did, when I saw your reply saying you were just looking for confirmation I assumed it was the same thread and posted my reply without reading anything else in the thread

generally speaking I'd much rather people post bug reports and have them not be bugs than for people to err on the side of caution and not let us know about potential bugs that we end up going a few releases with before somebody finally reports it and we look into it.
    Open-Realty 2 Documentation

~The Difference Between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE is ATTITUDE~

Ah! All explained! You know how it is. You read and reread something and think...is it me? haha. I take your point about the bugs and will post anything that comes up in the future in the bug tracker. Thanks for clarifying matters.

closed the bug report. I can't reproduce it so most likely the field was not added during one of your upgrades/installations. Was this a fresh install or upgrade?
    Open-Realty 2 Documentation

~The Difference Between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE is ATTITUDE~

Hi Mick,

It was a completely fresh install, the only work I have carried out is in the templates. Maybe something glitched on install then? I'll make a fresh install and see if it corrects it, I can just copy over my template work afterwards.

Cheers, I'll let you know.