Thread: Site suddenly stopped working

Default Site suddenly stopped working

I have had this site up for at least 1 1/2 years. It suddenly stopped displaying at all. It is OR 2.3.6. They have PHP 4.4.9 and mysql 4.1.22-standard.

I have been talking to them for the past several months about upgrading their hosting and their version of OR (for a very cheap price) and they declined to spend any more money. Just after this, the site stopped working. It doesn't even show the template portion.

http://www.carolinalandcompany.com.

The database appears to be fine. If I choose the vertical menu for the template it shows up but not with the correct pages, but nothing from the cms_integration template shows up (this is the one I modified for their display).

The static pages are using Tinymce I think. So, I am not sure where to start looking to see what is going on.

Has anyone had this happen before?

TIA,

Judy

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: Site suddenly stopped working

This type of thing usually happens when the host changes or upgrades something on their server. Many hosts don't notify the site owner when they do upgrades, or the site owner gets a notification and doesn't know what it is for.

Your best bet is to contact the host.

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffeweb View Post
    The static pages are using Tinymce I think.
    Pages don't depend on the WYSIWYG editors to display.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The site is active
    http://www.carolinalandcompany.com/admin/
    http://www.carolinalandcompany.com/i...nophotobig.gif

Go to your admin
    http://www.carolinalandcompany.com/admin/

and from there go to your SEO tab and see if you have it set to "Search Engine Friendly" , if it is, set it to "Standard URL"

You might be having issues with you .htaccess file.

Let me know how it worked out.

Arrow Re: Site suddenly stopped working

Thats right.
    I noticed if one clicks the "Home"-Link, they browser wants to download the index.php

This might be some other clue to find out what's (not) cooking.

Check your template and make sure it didn't get corrupted or if there are any errors in the code or missing files. If other templates work but yours doesn't, it is most likely a problem with your template.

I got hold of the guys hosting the site and asked them to restart Apache (huh? is the answer I got but apparently they did). I am thinking that I need to use different linking method to the includes, as this happened before on another server after an apache update. I could not see any of what is there now (as in, all the warnings associated with the includes ). Will go test and report back as others may run into this. I tried to search the forums for this same problem but couldn't find a post related to my search terms.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffeweb View Post
    I am thinking that I need to use different linking method to the includes, as this happened before on another server after an apache update.
    OR does not use the path to APACHE, but if the physical path to your hosting account changed as a result of an upgrade of some kind, OR would definitely stop working and complain, unless your host turned off error reporting.

Checked your server error logs? Logs are usually the first place you should be looking if something breaks or stops working.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

If you added your own includes make sure they are using the server path and not the url. They may have disabled using url's in includes.

Yes, they disabled urls in includes but I was also getting session errors after I fixed them. So, site is now working but still using PHP4. They told me they switched it to PHP5 but phpinfo shows PHP4. They must have done something else to at least make the pages show up with the errors because when I first posted this thread the pages were 100% blank with no code showing when viewing source.

Thanks for your help. You guys rock!

Judy