Thread: REFINE SEARCH RESULTS Modifcations to search.inc

Default REFINE SEARCH RESULTS Modifcations to search.inc

When you click on 'refine this search'. It does NOT in fact refine the search. If I was browsing 'pclass[]=1' and I clicked on 'refine this search' I should end up on a page to the extent of "/index.php?pclass[]=1&action=search_step_2"

Instead I end up on page "/index.php?action=searchpage&pclass[]=1&sortby=listingsdb_featured&sorttype=ASC" which is ultimately the 'default search'

I've gone through the search_inc core files thoroughly to attempt to come up w/ a solution to this bug.......

Basically I need to know how to change the "REFINE THIS SEARCH" function on the search results page to land on "/index.php?pclass[]=1&action=search_step_2". I don't care how (core files or otherwise) as I've modified the script heavily to fit my clients needs.

I also understand modifying the core code is at my own risk..But I've actually altered my code fairly heavily anyways, so just looking for someone with more experience w/ OR and following how it comes up w/ the pass through's. When following the code it appears to be a look defining $k that is causing this error, but I'm FAR from a programmer and can't wrap my head around this one.

Default Re: REFINE SEARCH RESULTS Modifcations to search.inc

last i looked, this may be handeled in the next_prev function in the misc.inc.php file. Try looking there.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by bizmarketingpros View Post
    I've gone through the search_inc core files thoroughly to attempt to come up w/ a solution to this bug.......
    It's not a bug, that's how it works.

You could always submit a feature request outlining exactly how you expect that link to work, or a bug report if you feel that this is a bug.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

I also think it does not make many sense but my workaround is just to edit your lang file and change from REFINE SEARCH RESULTS to REDEFINE SEARCH RESULTS as I think it describe better the behavior trigged by that button

Lightbulb Re: REFINE SEARCH RESULTS Modifcations to search.inc

hi
    I did this truk and it works, I wouold share it, maybe of benefit for you too:

open the template folder, open next_prev.html file

find this part:
    <td class="browse_tool_button">
    {nextprev_show_refine_search_block}
    <a href="index.php?action=searchpage{nextprev_guidest ring_no_action}">{lang_refine_search}</a {/nextprev_show_refine_search_block}
    </td>

replace it with:
    <!--<a href="index.php?action=searchpage{nextprev_guidest ring_no_action}">{lang_refine_search}</a>-->
    <a href="#" onclick="history.back()">back</a> {/nextprev_show_refine_search_block}
    </td>

so actually you need to add this line: <a href="#" onclick="history.back()">Refine search </a>by this you don't need any core file modification, language correction, etc.

success
    azerty

Quote Originally Posted by azerty View Post
    hi
    I did this truk and it works, I wouold share it, maybe of benefit for you too:

open the template folder, open next_prev.html file

find this part:
    <a href="index.php?action=searchpage{nextprev_guidest ring_no_action}">{lang_refine_search}</a {/nextprev_show_refine_search_block}
    </td>

replace it with:
    <!--<a href="index.php?action=searchpage{nextprev_guidest ring_no_action}">{lang_refine_search}</a>-->
    <a href="#" onclick="history.back()">back</a> {/nextprev_show_refine_search_block}
    </td>

so actually you need to add this line: <a href="#" onclick="history.back()">Refine search </a>by this you don't need any core file modification, language correction, etc.

success
    azerty
    That will not work if a user already browse some searchresults pages .
    If you went up to page 5 of the results you will have to give 5clicks to get back to the search.

I think that the best aproach will be to store the user selection in a cookie and get it back if the user press Refine Search. This could be done only with js without no core modifications and it still works with the few users that have js disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by rui View Post
    That will not work if a user already browse some searchresults pages .
    If you went up to page 5 of the results you will have to give 5clicks to get back to the search.

I think that the best aproach will be to store the user selection in a cookie and get it back if the user press Refine Search. This could be done only with js without no core modifications and it still works with the few users that have js disabled.
    you have absolutely right.
    I thnik also there is a need for something to give the possibility to back to the search results page without passing here and there. I hope the professionals of coding will consider it for future.