Thread: Tabbed Search box on the front page

Default Tabbed Search box on the front page

I've seen tabbed search boxes on some commercial templates. I want to make searching our inventory easier for users. How can I add a search feature to the front page?

Thank you!

http://www.AntelopePropertyManagement.com

Default Re: Tabbed Search box on the front page

Add a form to your templates main.html file. Try searching the forum as it's been discusses many times and samples have been provided.

Quote Originally Posted by cgately View Post
    I want to make searching our inventory easier for users. How can I add a search feature to the front page?
    Like pbflash indicated, a hard-coded form would be the best option here.

You could even set more than one specific class to search, without searching all of them... Just tag the proper classes on, at the end of your form.

For example: I have several property classes that fall under "residential" (houses, apartments, condos, etc), but only one property class that falls under "student living"... I have a hard-coded search form that allows searching "residential" and "student" properties separately (from the same form). The "residential" option tags-on all of the property classes that would fall under "residential"... And the "student" option only includes the property class that would apply to that option.

You can display the form right on your homepage, or you can use javascript to load it from a nav-link (I do both). Visit http://RentalLane.com to see what I mean. I haven't spent as much time on the template design for that site as I have for some of my others, but it's currently the only one on which I'm using javascript to load the search form. On the left nav-menu, under "Search", click on "Quick Search" to see what I mean.

If you need help with a custom search form, just let me know. I've been playing with them for a while now. ;-)

- Nick B.

By the way... You're welcome to "snag" the form code... It's pretty much just generic form code.

However, the javascript version *IS* protected by copyright. I'm using "highslide JS" for it (I have an unlimited commercial license). This means that the script that makes it "pop-up" is protected.

However, the code for the form, itself, you're welcome to. ;-)

If you need other ideas for it, just let me know.

- Nick B.

Quote Originally Posted by nick-b View Post
    Like pbflash indicated, a hard-coded form would be the best option here.

You could even set more than one specific class to search, without searching all of them... Just tag the proper classes on, at the end of your form.

For example: I have several property classes that fall under "residential" (houses, apartments, condos, etc), but only one property class that falls under "student living"... I have a hard-coded search form that allows searching "residential" and "student" properties separately (from the same form). The "residential" option tags-on all of the property classes that would fall under "residential"... And the "student" option only includes the property class that would apply to that option.

You can display the form right on your homepage, or you can use javascript to load it from a nav-link (I do both). Visit http://RentalLane.com to see what I mean. I haven't spent as much time on the template design for that site as I have for some of my others, but it's currently the only one on which I'm using javascript to load the search form. On the left nav-menu, under "Search", click on "Quick Search" to see what I mean.

If you need help with a custom search form, just let me know. I've been playing with them for a while now. ;-)

- Nick B.
    quite good explanation, but is it possible to write the codes of these two search forms, I even cannot get two search botton on one page, whil you have two beside each other!!,
    thanks
    azerty