Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: email wont work?

Default email wont work?

First off as this is my first post here, Hi all

yesterday I installed open reality, and a very nice program it is too
    the hardest part of the install was changing from a windows based to a linux based server as my hosting company only runs ms server on its windows based servers but they where fine and efficient with changing it all over for me

today, I installed one of the commercial templates and started learning how to do things, I now nave everything well on the way apart from that I am not receiving emails?

I have it set in the admin site config section, the contact agent wont work, and the template has a contact form that also wont work?

am I missing something simple

ta, Steve

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: email wont work?

Your server's error log will probably shed some light on this. If you don't know how to access or read the error log, get your host involved.

Otherwise, the search feature of these forums will yield a lot of email problem threads.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

hi

My hosting company don't give server error logs?

I am sure it is server related as i have installed on mt other hosting company and everything is fine,

what needs to be working on there server for the email to work?

does anybody speek this language?

from my hosting companys website

Before we start
    To prevent spam being sent through our webservers, there are certain conditions that must be met before our SMTP servers will send the email.

1) Email must be sent to, or from, an email address hosted by Fasthosts. An email address hosted by Fasthosts is not the same as a domain name hosted by Fasthosts. If your domain's MX record points to another email provider, it will not count as being hosted by Fasthosts.

2) To stop misuse of your form by third parties the sendmail_from variable should be set to your Fasthosts hosted email address. While access to the php.ini file is restricted on our shared environment, you can sent this variable using the ini_set() command, shown below.

3) A fifth parameter -f should be added to the sendmail function. This will set the name of the from email address.

In its basic form, a simple sendmail script will look like this:

<?php
    ini_set("sendmail_from", " user@yourdomain.com ");
    mail($email_to, $email_subject, $email_message, $headers, '-fuser@yourdomain.com');
    ?>

Provided that you set the sendmail variable, before attempting to send the email. Specify the from address as a fifth parameter in the sendmail function, and the email is either to, or from, a Fasthosts hosted email address you should have no problems.

Example
    This example will take the information from a feedback form, send it to you in an email message, then forward the customer to a "thank you for your comments" page. In this example we will use bobsdomain.co.uk as the domain name. There is a mailbox hosted with Fasthosts called bob@bobsdomain.co.uk.

A simple feedback form

First of all we need to create a feedback form that will receive the data. We will call this form feedback.html. In its most basic form, it can look like this:

<form method='post' action='sendmail.php'>
    Email address: <input name='email' type='text' /><br />
    Name: <input name='name' type='text' /><br />
    <textarea name='message' rows='15' cols='40'>
    </textarea><br />
    <input type='submit' />
    </form>

example feedback form

Not the prettiest form, but it can be tidied up, and validation can be added at a later date. This form has three fields (email address, name and message) that users can fill in. Once the user click the Submit button, it will collect the information contained within the fields, tag the information as "email, name and message", then send the information to sendmail.php.

The sendmail script

Now we have a form that sends information to a script, we need to create a script to send the email. In this example, we will name the script sendmail.php as this is the address the our form is submitting the data to. In order to send an email, we need certain information (variables), so lets set them first.

<?php
    ini_set('sendmail_from', $email_from);
    $email_to = "bob@bobsdomain.co.uk";
    $name =$_POST['name'];
    $email_from =$_POST['email'];
    $email_subject = "Feedback from website";
    $comments = $_POST['message'];
    $headers =
    "From: $email_from .\n";
    "Reply-To: $email_from .\n";

Now lets build the message of the email with the users name and comments.

$message= "Name: ". $name . "\nComments: " . $comments;

Finally, let's send the email. If the email is sent we will go to a thank you page, if there is an error we will display a brief message.

$sent = mail($email_to, $email_subject, $message, $headers, '-f .$email_from');
    if ($sent)
    {
    header( "Location: http://www.bobsdomain.co.uk/thankyou.html" );
    } else {
    echo 'There has been an error sending your comments. Please try later.';
    }

this is deffinatly my server, still working on it

got it working

Post Re: email wont work?

Change of supplier, OR mails work fine in all other servers hosting
    Unete al Grupo de Open Realty en Espańol

I tried the OR install on my other hostings and the email worked fine, but I needed it to work with this particular hosting company as i have exchange email set up with them

I now have it working, but it was very hard, my php knowledge is very limited, and this has caused me problems that most of you would solve instant

I now have a basic email form working, but I don't think I will be able to get the sits default email working (contact admin)

I realize that you have an "exchange server" account there, but it's not worth it... CHANGE HOSTING COMPANIES!!!

- Nick B.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
    I tried the OR install on my other hostings and the email worked fine, but I needed it to work with this particular hosting company as i have exchange email set up with them

I now have it working, but it was very hard, my php knowledge is very limited, and this has caused me problems that most of you would solve instant

I now have a basic email form working, but I don't think I will be able to get the sits default email working (contact admin)
    Hi,
    I have the same problem; could you please let me know how did you ti get it work?

thanks
    azerty