Thread: Problem with email

Default Problem with email

Anyone any ideas ?

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 501 5.5.4 Invalid Address in D:\Domains\dublinrentals.ie\wwwroot\include\misc.i nc.php on line 439

The email in the config section and in the admin account is admin@dublinrentals.ie - is there anywhere else i need to change this

I sent the error to my hosting company and this is the reply i got

Do you know if your website code requires the use of "Register Globals"? For security reasons this is turned off on our systems. What are you setting as the from and to address in your website code that the email is trying to go to?

I would appreciate any help you can give me

The site url is www.dublinrentals.ie

Thanks

Stephen

Default Re: Problem with email

Not an expert but should the address start with D: as this seem like your hard drive rather than your server

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by steve.goodmedia View Post
    Do you know if your website code requires the use of "Register Globals"? For security reasons this is turned off on our systems. What are you setting as the from and to address in your website code that the email is trying to go to?
    OR does not require Register GLOBALS.

OR uses PHP's checkdnsrr() function to check if the domain name in the email address is valid. If the domain does not have a valid MX record, the check will fail.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Thanks for that - i have problems with every mail that comes from the site - can i remove this checkdnsrr() from the site or how do i ensure that the email address has an mx record - they are all valid email addresses i have tried - including gmail - could it be anything else ?

Quote Originally Posted by OwnerDirectSpain View Post
    Not an expert but should the address start with D: as this seem like your hard drive rather than your server
    D: is the absolute path on the server

could it be anything else ?
    Yes, most windoze servers are improperly configured for PHP/Apache and Sendmail.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

I checked the php info on the server and it has no value for sendmail_from and sendmail_path - should these settings have some values - and if there are settings that need to be changed here - can anyone tell me how to phrase them to the hosting company

Thanks

I sent my hosting company this error

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 501 5.5.4 Invalid Address in D:\Domains\dublinrentals.ie\wwwroot\include\misc.i nc.php on line 439

And recieved this response

"Hi Stephen,

It is most likely this line in that file that is causing the problem:

$header .= "From: " . $sender . " {" . $sender_email . "}\n";

(note: I had to replace the angle brackets with { and } because the helpdesk will filter out anything in angle brackets)

The server you are on is a windows server and there is an ongoing issue with IIS mail and putting in a name and email address. For example "John Smith {john@smith.com}. You will need to just have the sender's email address and take out the part with the sender's name and the angle brackets.

For example the above line would become (assuming that $sender is the sender's name and "sender_email is the address):

$header .= "From: " . $sender_email . "\n";

You might need to contact the vendors of the program you are using for further help on this."

Does anyone have any ideas ?

The server you are on is a windows server and there is an ongoing issue with IIS mail and putting in a name and email address.
    Does anyone have any ideas ?
    Hack the core file to remove '$sender' (as your host recommended) or move to a *NIX server.

-George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -