Thread: Netscape 7.2 & w3 validator

Default Netscape 7.2 & w3 validator

Hi There

First:
    I searched the posts and it does not seem to have a clear information on what browsers the lazuli template works. I know that less people are using Netscape, but for those using the Lazuli main format is looking mixed up with overlapping pages. I checked the code after installation on validator and NO Error were found. Is any possibility to include any additional code to avoid this happening?

Second:
    This validator facility is it worth to run and try to comply with it? sorry for my language, as I noticed on top listed companies with top developers, a huge number of errors running on their sites, example: sky.com >74 Errors, 26 warning(s)

Greatly appreciate your thoughts

Default Re: Netscape 7.2 & w3 validator

I honestly wouldn't worry about designing for such an outdated browser. Keeping such dramatic backwards compatibility will limit the modern features that you can use on your site without creating problems for older browsers.

Netscape reached it's end of life in 2007 with the last release of it, NS 9, actually being built upon Firefox 2. Its not like you're trying to support the latest release, or even one release prior to that... this is a browser that was released 4-5 years ago and currently has such low market share that it doesn't even show up on most tracking sites and is just lumped into the .4% of "OTHER" browsers.
    Open-Realty 2 Documentation

~The Difference Between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE is ATTITUDE~

Many thanks for your reply Mick
    What about the second part of my thread - validator issue

As for the validator.. yes.. in my opinion it is definitely worth it to code to the standards and comply with them. If you code to the standards then your site will more consistently look the same in all the various browsers out there.

Most of the search engine bots expect compliance and can overlook, skip or misread stuff that is not compliant code.

For the most part you only have to make your site compliant with the encoding method you choose. xhtml 1.0 strict compliant is what I would strive for. However if you have some issues with making that compliance and want to go with transitional instead of strict that is ok, not as good but still ok with the search engine bots. The important thing, from the things I've read is to make sure you are compliant with whatever encoding method you have specified on your site.
    Open-Realty 2 Documentation

~The Difference Between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE is ATTITUDE~

Default Netscape 7 2 w3 validator

That did work Phil. Thank you therube and Phil Chee. The mail icon isnt where it is on my Netscape window but it is definitely workable.

Ed