Thread: anti-Spam

Default anti-Spam

I have seen a number of post about abuse from spambots and have experienced their wrath first hand on a test site (both in false registrations and spam to the admin e-mail).

Just curious if anyone here has explored or considered creating an addon for OR that will utilize Project Honey Pot's httpBL to automatically banish the bad bots and persistently abusive ip addresses?

I see that captcha has been implemented for e-mail forms, but thus far there is no protection for the admin contact e-mail. The only current protection for for member/agent registrations appears to be to moderate them individualy. Of course, doing that is obviously not the most desireable nor efficent solution because of the additional hands on work, not to mention making the registrant wait until they get a green light. We all know nobody wants to wait for anything these days, so delaying access means the contact will likely find another website where they can have instant access.

I did notice that someone has created a Project Honey Pot extention for Joomla 1.5 which means there is the option of getting this feature with PB's CMS-Realty bridge if I wanted all the Joomla stuff.. but am hoping someone here might be looking at a direct addon for Open-Realty.

Regards,
    Gary

Default Re: anti-Spam

The next version of OR will have captcha on the registration forms. There will also be an option to requires users to verify their email address before their account is activated.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am sure those measures will make a huge difference in blocking the spambots. I was just hoping for a solution that could run in the background allowing human visitors a seamless uninterupted transition from visitor to retistered user while denying/banning the known trouble bots. It seems to me that Proj H-pot could be a great complement to OR as an addon.

Regards,
    Gary

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by gary b2 View Post
    It seems to me that Proj H-pot could be a great complement to OR as an addon.
    What is to prevent you from integrating h-pot yourself on your site yourself?

http://www.projecthoneypot.org/faq.php#c

Can any site add a Project Honey Pot honey pot?

Many can, but not all. Honey pots can be added to most websites that support dynamic content and scripting languages. To install honey pots on your site, you will need the authority to install executable programs on the server hosting your site (e.g., access to the cgi-bin directory). We currently offer direct support for websites built with PHP....
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

I agree with you. An automated way to block known spammers/bots would be a very good addition. If I wasn't so loaded with work right now, I would take a look at it.

Hi Sand King,

Quote Originally Posted by the_sandking View Post
    What is to prevent you from integrating h-pot yourself on your site yourself?
    You are right I can put their honey pots on my site, no problem. However, they are just the bait mechanisim used in "correctly" identifying the bad bots & email harvesters that visit the site. It's the next part of the equation I was looking to resolve...
    (sorry for not being clear & concise in my original post)

A number of other open source communities/projects have created addons or mods to take advantage of Project Honeypot's httpBL.

Http:BL has been implemented on a number of different web servers, content management systems, blogging platforms, and forums. These systems query the http:BL servers for visitors to your site and restrict their access if they are found to be malicious.
    It just looked like a good idea so I thought it might be worth asking.
    The answer may be right in front of me, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Regards,
    Gary

(p.s. Paul, thanks for your input. I very much understand and respect busy...)