Thread: Very stuck; don't know where to start...

Red face Very stuck; don't know where to start...

I am looking to change my OR templates such as background colour. Does anyone have any advice on where to start?

I have built basic websites in the past using html and some basic Javascript but am very confused when looking at all the templates and how they fit together. Would someone be able to give me a basic step-by-step of which templates I have to change. I have looked at the OR documents but they don't help me.

I would like to change the background colour, the logo at the top and change the buttons (which I will draw myself). I don't want to change much else. Although the more I can make it look my own the better.

I am sorry that this seems to be such a general question but I am really stuck. Once I understand which templates, and where they, that fit together to make up the page, then I should be okay.

Thanks so much.

If you would like to PM me that would be fine too. I hope that I am not being too much of a bother.

Faithfully. Rachel.

P.S. When changing the listing template I would like to have it so it expands bigger if needed. I made a test listing on the basic template and the pictures extend down below the frame.

Default Re: Very stuck; don't know where to start...

I think my question is so broad that no one really wants to tackle it; which I completely understand. If I were to go into the image folder for one of the templates and change those (changing names by putting a t in front of them all and then going into the same template htmls and change the image names to match. Then maybe see if I can just change the logo and the background image, would this make a difference without messing with the script?

I really do need help with this. i just need a pointer, not help with all the designing.

Please help!

A list of files that could be changed in terms of images and background is what I really need, then I can figure out how to upload the new set of images and templates by looking at the other posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel W View Post
    A list of files that could be changed in terms of images and background is what I really need, then I can figure out how to upload the new set of images and templates by looking at the other posts.
    Rachel, assuming a default O-R v.2.5.6 installation, ALL files you can edit (as you wish!) are located at those folders:
    ./template/...
    ./admin/template/...
    All files you see inside those folders and sub-folders, shall be edited as you wish. By default, O-R use for frontend (public side) the site template folder "lazuli" located at ../template/lazuli/... - for backend (admin/agent side) the admin site template folder located at ../admin/template/OR/.. Each template have its own stylesheet and images.
    At Site Config, logged as admin you can set the default template for your Website as you can see at:
    http://wiki.open-realty.org/Configur...plate_settings

Good luck,
    Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

The best place to start is by reading the template system docs.

http://wiki.open-realty.org/Template_Documentation

Then use the advice provided by ebmarques.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

okay, so I have been fiddling with the images and also made some test changes to the style.css I have kept the name as autumn_candy and have just been over-riding the files which I don't mind as I have kept the files saved somewhere else to protect them.

This is what I have so far. Could someone look at it and see how I can change the following things:

I want to move the menu to the left and hopefully outside the frame. I also want to get rid of the right-hand side space.

Here is the link to what I have done some more. If someone would also like to PM me I could send them the style.css to give them an idea of what has changed so far.

http://investors.whiteknightps.com/open_realty/

Thank you so much!

Rachel

I have been working with the style.css and changing some of the images (I have a few more to do), so there are just a few things that I would like how to change. I am hoping that these will be simple for someone who has experience with the template.

As mentioned, I am manipulating the autumn_candy template. You can look at what I have done so far at

http://investors.whiteknightps.com/open_realty/

The following are the changes that I do not know how to do:

1. Move the menu to the left column (make the column wider again of course) and then I will shrink the right.
    2. On the listings page, I would like to change the colour behind the tabs (it is currently white).
    3. Get rid of the brown stripe in the menu column. The code for this must be hidden somewhere.

I am sorry about my earlier posts, but I was really having an issue getting started but am more comfortable with the files now.

Rachel

okay, may be if you guys leave me alone long enough I will figure it all out...

I got rid of the brown stripe, and now just need to move the menu to the left, change the tab background area to another colour.

Also I have found that the previous/next etc on the listings page overlap with save search...