Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sorry! This listing is no longer available.

Default Sorry! This listing is no longer available.

How can one change "Sorry! This listing is no longer available." to showing the details of actual listing with similar listings. We can have a tag in the listing detail in red saying "Sorry! This listing is no longer available. Similar listings to this property are listed below".

Just a thought.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: Sorry! This listing is no longer available.

Edit your language file.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Quote Originally Posted by the_sandking View Post
    Edit your language file.
    I know about the language file. Rather than just showing the text "Sorry! This listing is no longer available", we could show a summary of the listing plus a list of similar listings on the same page.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

You'd need to build an add-on for that or hack the core.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Not possible without core file changes.

Ok. Can we move this thread to the sand box area? I'd appreciate if someone could guide me in the right direction.

I was looking at this thread

How can I display some similar listings on the listing_detail_default.html page based off the current listing id?

I was looking at this bit of code from PBFLASH.
    <?
    require_once($config['basepath'].'/include/search.inc.php');
    $search = new search_page();
    $_ GET['state']='New York';
    $_ GET['price_min']='100000';
    $_ GET['price_max']='1000000';
    $display2 = $search->search_results();
    echo $display2;
    ?>

what you want needs a bit different work.. Because the listing had been deleted when you are on this, so no data in db to find similar listings; you must have some comparison data to find similar listings.
    Not the best but the easiest and useful way is to use featured listings instead of similar listings..
    .,;

Saw your concern and wanted to add to it. This would be an excellent addon. I'd pitch in and pay for it if someone wants to take it on.

I'm assuming your visitor arrived at your missing listing page via a search engine.

I was doing something similar, but the quickest thing I could come up with is editing the language files (mine now says "This home may still be listed, just not in Google. Please click here and try your search again on our site. Real estate sites are more recent than Google. Google takes weeks to update. We update daily.") , then go in to listing.inc.php and change the index.php to the search page.

A much better idea is your idea, and that is to bring up *something* instead of nothing. Folks are lazy. Even if you've added the convenience of allowing them the search page, when they see the search page, they find it easier to just click the back button and keep searching google. (I made this change about 30 minutes ago, and to my surprise as I'm looking at the logs, I see people are actually using the search instead of going back to google.) But to do what you want you'd need to know something of the listing. The listingid isn't going to tell you anything - it no longer exists (unless you've moved it to a different class or some other place you haven't mentioned), so OR doesn't know anything about the listing anymore.

*If* you have SEO turned on, and *if* you have the address or part of the address used in the url, then you might be able to take the referring url, parse it somehow (partial text search using some of the pieces based on how you have your urls arranged), do a db lookup, and return the next best thing (like all listings within the zipcode found in the referring url, or all homes in the city found in the referring url).

Good idea. I just wish I had the php/sql skills to make it happen. If I can't find anyone willing to do this type work, I may have to sign up for some classes and....sigh....do it myself.

Let me know if you continue on with this.

For an ADDON this idea: In the search box with multiple values the searcher is prompted to select, say, TWO Criteria out of multiple parameters that get ticked as "Most Important" and "Important". Such as is the Maximum price value MOST important and Community "Important"?

The search then performs its standard strict search with all parameters which may or may not return results.

Listed under a different header or column is the same search with results performed without the "Important" category, or results that stripped out all other values except Important and Most Important values.

When the user tags one criteria as Important and another as Most Important then the fullblown search uses every single parameter such as neighborhood, maximum price, number of bedrooms, swimming pool,....whatever, as the primary top listed search results links.

But, prodding the user to assign a Most Important and Important value to some of these parameters enables a separate query to run with just the Most Important value and Important value as a 1rst and 2nd priority and stripping away everything else. Which broadens the search but still retains what they consider to be the single most important or two most important values.

And the header should reflect back what values the search used to get its results.

Actually, pbflash made a addon (searchresults) while I was trying some other options. The addon can be modified to display similar results - it started around here to set it to your specific needs. The addon can be plugged right in the listing.inc file.

I agree, more than likely a Googler may find your "Sorry, This listing is no longer available." through searching. The least you can do is provide some basic information about the expired listing, then give them some options through the modified addon.