Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange problems searching on Property Class

Default Re: Strange problems searching on Property Class

Quote Originally Posted by ebmarques View Post
    Nope. You are wrong. At the "listingsdbelements" table there is NO reference at all at any "class". You can create, edit, delete, whatever you wish... and at this table, there is no reference at all to "classes".
    JEEZ!! I must be seeing things then. Sure looks like a reference to the 'property_class' to me. Does it look like a reference to the property class to anyone else? And this is from a raw OR 2.5.3 with no joomla and no CMSR.

Nope. You are wrong. As I said, at "listingsdbelements" table there is nothing related to "classes", so nothing changes at this table when you edit a "class".
    I'm right. If you alter the properties class this field DOES disappear! Maybe you should try it out yourself Eduardo before insisting I'm wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    I'm right. If you alter the properties class this field DOES disappear! Maybe you should try it out yourself Eduardo before insisting I'm wrong?
    You are wrong because it is NOT a property CLASS. It is a property FIELD.
    You are dealing with a property field and telling us this is a property class.
    You named this field as "property_class". You can name it to whatever you wish... it will be always and forever, a property field!

The title of your thread is wrong. Should be: "Strange problems searching on Property Field".
    [EDITED]Sorry, my mistake. You didn't open this thread.[/EDITED]

Please take a look at this post:
    http://support.open-realty.org/showp...80&postcount=4
    It may help you.

Eduardo
    Last edited by ebmarques; 05-11-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: You didn't open this thread

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

Scotty, I was reading all posts again... Maybe I did a mistake for my bad English reading. If I really did, please excuse me.
    In fact, the issue here is about a property or listing field being deleted from the DB when you change the class of a listing. It may happen. It will happen if this field is not assigned to the class you changed to. Please check how this field is set.

Eduardo
    Last edited by ebmarques; 05-11-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typos

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by ebmarques View Post
    Scotty, I was reading all posts again... Maybe I did a mistake for my bad English reading. If I really did, please excuse me.
    In fact, the issue here is about a property or listing field being deleted from the DB when you change the class of a listing. It may happen. It will happen if this field is not assigned to the class you changed to. Please check how this field is set.

Eduardo
    Thank you Eduardo. I think there was some confusion over the term 'class' alright .

That is indeed exactly what the problem is. The 'property_class' field is being deleted.

For some reason, and it seems to be a flaw in OR's design, the 'property_class' is a separate type of field to other fields like city, rooms, baths, floors, etc. It is already listed in the other fields options as you can see in the blue drop-down box in the image, and it has it's own icon & setting options in the Admin.

As a 'work around' I could make a new custom field and have the options House, Apartment, Villa, etc. in there. This makes the in-built 'Property Class' option pointless.

I think OR should look at making the Property Class option a regular field like the others. Although, having said that, nobody would ever notice unless they use CMSR's Quick Search.

Anyway... thank you again for your time and help.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

For some reason, and it seems to be a flaw in OR's design, the 'property_class' is a separate type of field to other fields like city, rooms, baths, floors, etc. It is already listed in the other fields options as you can see in the blue drop-down box in the image, and it has it's own icon & setting options in the Admin.
    It's definitely not a design flaw, OR's property class management system is inherent in its design, and it's definitely not another type of field.

You manage the OR property classes via the Property Classes menu option and you edit additional FIELDS each CLASS will use via the Edit Listing Template option. When creating any new fields, you must always assign them to each property class that will use them.

A price per/month field would be relevant for a Rental property class, and not a Residential (for sale) class for instance.

Classes and Fields are completely different things, and if you want to subcategorize, you might think about simply adding a "property type" field.

e.g.

Property Class: Residential
    Home Type: Duplex, Rancher, Tri-Level, etc..

Property Class: Land
    Land Type: Vacant, Agricultural, Undeveloped, etc.

For any issues Joomla/CMSRealty might be having, this is not the proper venue for that discussion.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

I understand Sandking. But wouldn't it be more logical for OR to alter the value for the 'property_class' ROW in the listingsdbelements table instead of deleting it altogether when a property has it's Property Class changed? or maybe not list it there in the first place as it seems to be redundant there anyway (unless you use CMSR's Quick Search ).

But anyway, Chris' question has been well and truly answered. Ty for your time guys.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

I understand Sandking. But wouldn't it be more logical for OR to alter the value for the 'property_class' ROW in the listingsdbelements table instead of deleting it altogether when a property has it's Property Class changed? or maybe not list it there in the first place as it seems to be redundant there anyway (unless you use CMSR's Quick Search ).

But anyway, Chris' question has been well and truly answered. Ty for your time guys.

OR's property class values are never stored in listingsdbelements, at least not by OR. Dunno' how you got values for "property_class" stored in there, but OR's property class functions definitely did not do it. Chances are, you added that FIELD manually via Edit Listing Template at some point.

If you delete (not rename) an OR property class however, all listings that were assigned to that class would be deleted, and any fields that were assigned to it that were not also assigned to other property classes.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Actually, when you add a listing the property class is sent as 'property_class'. The update_listing_data function does not have anything to exclude 'property_class' from the update so it is inserted into the listingsdbelements table. When you edit a listing, the property class is sent as 'pclass' which is excluded by the update_listing_data function.

The CMSR search module has been fixed to send the correct code for the pclass to the search results function.

Quote Originally Posted by the_sandking View Post
    OR's property class values are never stored in listingsdbelements, at least not by OR. Dunno' how you got values for "property_class" stored in there, but OR's property class functions definitely did not do it. Chances are, you added that FIELD manually via Edit Listing Template at some point.
    OK. It seems I'm banging my head against a brick wall here.

For the last time. When you create a new listing in an UNMODIFIED version of OR it adds a field called 'property_class' to the listingsdbelements table.

Sandking do me a favour. Go and download a fresh OR. Install it without modifying anything. Add a new property and then go and have a look in the listingsdbelements table. I GUARANTEE you you will have a field in the listingsdbelements_field_name column with the words 'property_class' in it. In the field to the right of that field there will be a number. If you open the classlistingsdb and class tables you will see this number corresponds with both.

Now go back and edit the property. It does not matter what you do just change something and resave it. Now go back and check the listingsdbelements table and you will see that the field with 'property_class' is now gone.

Just to make sure I was not going mad I just tested this on fresh download and install and this is what is happening. Do you really think that all the threads on this subject on your forum all made their own field called the field 'property_class' by coincidence? NO. Open Realty does it!

I'm not trying to be rude lads but I really hate people telling me I am wrong when I know I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by pbflash View Post
    Actually, when you add a listing the property class is sent as 'property_class'. The update_listing_data function does not have anything to exclude 'property_class' from the update so it is inserted into the listingsdbelements table. When you edit a listing, the property class is sent as 'pclass' which is excluded by the update_listing_data function.

The CMSR search module has been fixed to send the correct code for the pclass to the search results function.
    Thank you!