Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: {addon_showresults_display} Addon

Default {addon_showresults_display} Addon

Hey Paul,
    This is a cool addon but where is it normally used?

You must have been responding to a perceived need to take the time to create it. What did you have in mind utility-wise that really makes this useful?

It works fine but I can't see where it best fits into the utilitarian flow of browsing and looking. Can you offer a suggestion?

Thank you!

Default Re: {addon_showresults_display} Addon

This is for people who want to show the search results on the main or other OR content page.

I posted a similar enquiry on the addon release page...it never turned up though. I too wondered at the "usefulness" of this one, and came to a similar conclusion to the poster. I am sure I am missing something.

In the end I personally found a great use for it. I modified it to show 100 properties (that covers all of mine) on a new page (say page100_main.html) and using a new stylesheet (to hide the unneeded divs etc) I turned it into a "print all" properties page. A super simple brochure.

With my awful knowledge of php I had to use jQuery to "count" the properties and insert css page breaks in the right places y voilŕ.

I also wondered how one might modify this to show "similar properties you might be interested in".

Pray tell pb, where are you using the addon?

It can be modified to display similar properties on the listing page. For instance, if a visitor comes across you listing via Google search and it's no longer available (this listing is no longer active), you can provide a few details on the expired listing and show similar properties that may be of interest based on the expired listing. You'd query the search details on current listing id (price, location, beds, etc...etc...).

I posted a similar enquiry on the addon release page...it never turned up though.
    That is because the addon release area is addon releases only. It is not for questions or comments. Read the sticky on top of that forum.

I am not using this addon anywhere. It was created based on the multiple requests by people that wanted to show the view all listings on their front page.

Ah, just that short answer makes me understand. The fact that you mentioned "front page". I can see some "super simple" sites are using this to do away with search all-together. It makes sense now, I knew I just had a blind spot.

I posted a free addon a while ago, and someone pm'ed me with a problem. I wanted to post their question, and my answer, after the addon release to help other users, so there might be a reason for allowing posts over there no?

so there might be a reason for allowing posts over there no?
    That's what this forum is for.

Does anyone have an example of this? I think it will be really helpful to me, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it.

My interpretation would be:

Think about "HomelyVillas" ltd. They are a small business with just eight villas on the books. They have no need for search facilities or any of that stuff. They could just have a home page with a button that says "see all properties" which uses the tag {url_search_results}. That would be pretty simple. But....

...using this addon they can make it simpler still. They can make a home page that has ...say... a header, nav bar, a small "about us summary" and then a list all their available properties - right on the front page. This could even be a one page website.

Easier to understand now?

I have a multiple page website, and I (mis?)used this addon to create one page where all my results show up (80 or so) in ADDITION to my usual pages which have ten per page as standard. Using CSS I styled that page to turn it into a printable "brochure" (well brochure is a bit grand, lets say "stock list")

Incidentaly I am wondering why you couldn't just abuse the featured listings system into doing the self same thing as this addon? By "featuring" every listing you have? I suppose this way is "belt and braces" so you can have every listing on your home page...and...feature one or two of them if desired

Thanks zarathustra,

I guess I had wrong impression about Addon.

I thought it was more say you created a single page for City A and another page for City B. You could display only the respective listings for that city on the page.