Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you create SEF urls for new web pages in Page Editor?

Default can you create SEF urls for new web pages in Page Editor?

Can you create SEF urls for new web pages created in Page Editor? I see where it gives the link to the page after you create it ( http://www.example.com/openrealty/in...splay&PageID=5 ), but is there a good way to use SEF since my listings are using SEF?

Regards.

Default Re: can you create SEF urls for new web pages in Page Editor?

As I look at this a bit more... maybe OR puts newly created pages in

default_en_pagesmain, then assigns a pagesmain_id (sql autoincrement) to the document for reference, the action=page_display tells OR to pull from that table, with the pageID being the pagesmain_id.

Then it would follow that after glancing at .htaccess, that I would simply put a rewrite rule for each page with the above format and just create my own SEF url right there?

Can a pro confirm that I'm on the right track?

Thanks.

Pages created in the page editor can be accessed using page-PAGETITLE-PAGEID.html. For custom links you would add a rewrite rule to point your custom link to index.php?action=page_display&pageID=XYZ.

Ahh...even better. No custom links, that format will do just fine. I did not see what you just described here:

http://wiki.open-realty.org/Admin_Page_Editor

Did I miss something? If it was in the docs, I'll give myself a double donation penalty ;-)

I see the page now in the new url format. So how do I handle the META tags (using the ones from OR)? Was I supposed to take this up with you (pbflash)? If I can get a handle on the meta tags, I'll have my work cut out for me.

Thanks.

If you have SEF turned on in OR, the page editor will show the SEF link to the page. If they are off it shows the non-SEF link.

Since you are using CMS Realty and you have the insert OR meta data option set to yes, you would enter the META data that you want in the OR page editor.

I'll get with you on the other stuff when I get home from work tonight. Got home from my trip pretty late last night.

Quote Originally Posted by pbflash View Post
    If you have SEF turned on in OR, the page editor will show the SEF link to the page. If they are off it shows the non-SEF link.
    No, it's not doing that. I've had SEF turned on since I installed OR many moons ago, and the Page Editor (which I've only used today) is showing the non sef url in the "Link to this page.." line. I would show you a screen shot but...take my word for it. ;-)

Since you are using CMS Realty and you have the insert OR meta data option set to yes, you would enter the META data that you want in the OR page editor.
    That's what I thought. But I do have insert OR meta data option to yes and I am putting what I want in the META data in the Page Editor, yet the META data being used when I look at the source is the Joomla META data - not the OR META data. So I have no clue as to why that's happening..

No, it's not doing that. I've had SEF turned on since I installed OR many moons ago, and the Page Editor (which I've only used today) is showing the non sef url in the "Link to this page.." line. I would show you a screen shot but...take my word for it. ;-)
    I see in your sig that you are using 2.5.3. I think this was changed in 2.5.5.
    That's what I thought. But I do have insert OR meta data option to yes and I am putting what I want in the META data in the Page Editor, yet the META data being used when I look at the source is the Joomla META data - not the OR META data. So I have no clue as to why that's happening..
    Download the current version of CMSR and replace the Metadata.class.php file and see if it fixed the problem. If not send me an email and I can look at it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by pbflash View Post
    I see in your sig that you are using 2.5.3. I think this was changed in 2.5.5.
    Well, I was feeling lucky today so I upgraded to OR 2.5.6. This part of the upgrade guide needs to be changed:

"Extract the downloaded file and upload all files to your existing website, overwriting all the old files. Leave any custom templates you are using in place. They will not be overwritten unless you are using a customized version of the vertical-menu template and did not change it's name."
    It *did* overwrite my custom cms_integration template, but since I backed up everything even though OR said it was ok with that exception, I got it back in just a few seconds.

Created a new page in OR Page Editor, still getting the non sef links.

Download the current version of CMSR and replace the Metadata.class.php file and see if it fixed the problem. If not send me an email and I can look at it tonight.
    This part worked. All in all I suppose I'm fine now. The sef link would be nice, since I'm having to duplicate one subdivision page about 120 times - it'd be nice to have a place to easily copy the link url from.

Regards.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by mrealty View Post
    It *did* overwrite my custom cms_integration template, but since I backed up everything even though OR said it was ok with that exception, I got it back in just a few seconds.
    Yes, it should have done that, because you didn't copy the contents of the cms_integration template dir to your own dir. It's not considered to be a custom template if you just applied your changes to one of the existing templates and did not create a new directory/template.

Copy your template/cms_integration directory to template/cms_integration_custom (or something else) and then set OR to use your custom template and you won't have this happen again.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Quote Originally Posted by the_sandking View Post
    Yes, it should have done that, because you didn't copy the contents of the cms_integration template dir to your own dir. It's not considered to be a custom template if you just applied your changes to one of the existing templates and did not create a new directory/template.

Copy your template/cms_integration directory to template/cms_integration_custom (or something else) and then set OR to use your custom template and you won't have this happen again.
    Then maybe you should add this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    to the template docs. I'm not in the habit of changing directory names under /openrealty as I'm afraid something is hard coded, or is in the DB, and I'll break something. Now I know. Thanks.