Thread: FYI: remove "Save This Search" button for users not signed in.

Default FYI: remove "Save This Search" button for users not signed in.

This is a FYI, in case anyone wants to disable "Save This Search" in O-R 2.0.0.

I disabled the ability for users to sign up in the config, but I still got the "Save This Search" button on any search. User clicks on it, and they go to a page that requires them to sign up for an account. You know where this is going.

To remedy this, I made the following change.

in include/misc.inc.php, line 268, I changed:

Code:
    if ($_GET['action'] == 'searchresults')
    to:
    Code:
    $checked = login::check_login();
    if ($_GET['action'] == 'searchresults' && $checked)
    Since I don't care if anyone can save searches or favorites, this eliminates the final vestige of user logins (after eliminating the general login options from the menu), but it lets currently logged-in users to save the searches, if they so desire. Why they'd want to, I don't know.

One may ask... why no user logins? I'm developing a billiards site based on Open-Realty 2.0 and only need the backend admin capabilities and a catalog. It will soon be live at http://www.artisanpooltables.com/.

I know a 1.x solution as been posted at http://support.open-realty.org/showthread.php?t=1974, but this is good for the new and improved 2.0.0 version.

I appreciate any feedback or bug reports on this fix. I like Open-Realty 2.0 a lot better than the 1.x version, but from my end, it looks like there's a lot more work to be done in the UI!

- Sushi
    Last edited by sushigraphix; 05-21-2005 at 02:45 PM.

Good call. I will remove that option off the quickbar on the listing pages, unless the user is logged in.

Will be in 2.0.2

wish I had read this first I just chucked the code for save this search along with the links for favorites and saved searches altogether so it never shows that button and now theres no way to get at the sign up form for new users.

Webdude

put a link on your menu using the {url_member_signup} tag. It should have been on the vertical menu in 2.0.1

Default Re: FYI: remove "Save This Search" button for users not signed in.

Hello

I've edited the misc.inc.php file and it now looks like this...

if ($_GET['action'] == 'searchresults' && $checked) {
    $page->page = $page->cleanup_template_block('nextprev_show_save_search ', $page->page);
    }else{
    $page->page = $page->remove_template_block('nextprev_show_save_search' , $page->page);
    }
    if ($_GET['action'] == 'searchresults' && $checked) {
    $page->page = $page->cleanup_template_block('nextprev_show_refine_sear ch', $page->page);
    }else{
    $page->page = $page->remove_template_block('nextprev_show_refine_searc h', $page->page);
    }

but the return for searching on criteria that doesn't exist still says..

"Save this search and notify me if any listings are added that match my criteria."

I would like to keep this or something similar though if possible...

"Your search returned no results. Please try a less specific search."

Can anyone point me to a config switch or a line of code that can turn-off the invitation for non-registered users to sign-up if a search displays no results?

With many thanks in advance

Nicky

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: FYI: remove "Save This Search" button for users not signed in.

4 year old thread is... old.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way