Thread: OR listing text field

Default OR listing text field

Why does the OR database field type 'textarea' not have any formatting capability? For example, here in the forum when one types in a question, there are a number of format options (e.g. bold, italic, underline, bullet points). But none of this basic functionality appears in OR. Is there an ADDON which I can use to get this?

Also, when inputing a full property description, it would be nice to have an input box more than 2 centimeters in size. Any why this can easily be changed?

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: OR listing text field

Quote Originally Posted by FranceFan View Post
    Why does the OR database field type 'textarea' not have any formatting capability? For example, here in the forum when one types in a question, there are a number of format options (e.g. bold, italic, underline, bullet points). But none of this basic functionality appears in OR. Is there an ADDON which I can use to get this?

Also, when inputing a full property description, it would be nice to have an input box more than 2 centimeters in size. Any why this can easily be changed?
    Have you ever submitted a feature request?

It's not there, because it's not a feature. What you expect is not actually considered to be "basic functionality", because it has the potential to create more problems then provide benefits.

If you use Firefox, download and install the Xinha add-on for Firefox. It allows any textarea box on any website to have WYSIWYG abilities.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Sandking,

Great solution. Thank you very much!

Regards,
    Doug

I just successfully integrated this: http://markitup.jaysalvat.com/home/ . It is working very well, and generates cleaner markup than Xinha. You need to have some savvy to work with it, but I am working on making it even easier.

Quote Originally Posted by zarathustra View Post
    I just successfully integrated this: http://markitup.jaysalvat.com/home/ . It is working very well, and generates cleaner markup than Xinha. You need to have some savvy to work with it, but I am working on making it even easier.
    The Xinha add-on is a plug-in for Firefox. What you have linked to would require core file changes to implement, which cannot be discussed outside of the sandbox forum.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

Adding all that extra stuff to textarea's of listings is not good

like mentioned before it can cause lots of problems

lets say you have 5000 listings and you start letting users add bold, italic, underline, bullet points etc , it going to start bloting out your database even more

5000 listing = around 18mb database
    5000 listings with users gone mad on bold underlines all the stpuid simileys etc = 22mb database

the listing field elements are what seem to take up the most space, they need thinning down not making bigger

i guess its ok for some poeple who like to use these style of text editers, but i have never been a fan of them my self

why poeple need to add these things in text descriptions is beyound me, maybe there are some uses, but i whould never use it myself
    I think i have forgotten more then i have learned over the past few years!!!!!!!!

Hi Sandking, No core changes required. Markitup is a jQuery script. You just link to jQuery and the MarkItUp script, and it's associated cs,s (from your template), then simply attach it to the textarea with:

<script type="text/javascript" >
    $(document).ready(function() {
    $("textarea").markItUp;
    });
    </script>

I suppose if you only wanted it on one specific text area you would have to edit core files (to attach an id), but if you wanted it on all text areas, it would just be a template thing. Check it out. It's pretty cool.

Actually you could use more jQuery to find the text area even if you had more than one. for instance if you just have a notes field and one text area for description, you could just use :even to target it.

@AWT I am definitely hearing you. But I do like my clients to be able to use at least <p> tags in a long description, perhaps a dash of <strong> and <em>. With markitup I can limit them to just these! And <blink> of course

Why does the OR database field type 'textarea' not have any formatting capability?

*Moderated - Violates forum signature rules

Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    Why does the OR database field type 'textarea' not have any formatting capability?

See the second post in this thread.

-George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -