Thread: 500 Internal Server Error

Default 500 Internal Server Error

This is my first experience with OR however I have read through the forums and have tried to troubleshoot the issue but am still coming up short. I am attempting to install OR 2.5.7 and have uploaded it myhost/public_html/or/ and I have changed permissions according to the install documentation (tried both 755 and 777). When I go to mysite.com/or/install/index.php I get an error of 500 Internal Server Error. I'm thinking that because this is an internal server error there must be something wrong with my host... but for testing I used Fantastico De Luxe to successfully install OR 2.5.6 so obviously my host must be setup to work with OR... I also tried upgrading 2.5.6 to 2.5.7 and right away am faced with the 500 Internal Server Error.

So you ask that I check the error logs. Here is what I'm getting:
    [Sat Jul 25 18:39:04 2009] [error] [client 67.159.44.51] File does not exist: /home/mysite/public_html/500.shtml, referer: http://mysite.com/or/install/index.php
    [Sat Jul 25 18:39:04 2009] [error] [client 67.159.44.51] SoftException in Application.cpp:252: File "/home/mysite/public_html/or/install/index.php" is writeable by group, referer: http://mysite.com/or/install/index.php
    I've tried with both the .htaccess file present and not present. Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Default Re: 500 Internal Server Error

Wow - I read my post after I submitted it and realized that the first error message was probably easy to fix so I copied the 500.shtml file living in the or directory to the public_html directory which made the 500 Internal Server Error page go away.

I am now presented with the following error:
    Server Error

We apologize, but our web site is currently experiencing technical difficulties and the web page you are trying to access is unavailable. Please try again later. Additionally, and email has been sent to the site administrator with details about this error.

I'm still getting the following error in my error logs as well:
    [Sat Jul 25 19:07:23 2009] [error] [client 96.42.118.126] SoftException in Application.cpp:252: File "/home/mysite/public_html/or/install/index.php" is writeable by group
    My apologies for not catching the first error in my original post before hand. Any help on the remaining issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Zach

Default Resolved Re: 500 Internal Server Error

The issue was with my host - I used web support chat and they had it fixed in seconds.

Lesson: Don't hesitate to ask your host... had I don't this it would have saved me hours.

Yep, when the error message states "Server Error", its usually a good idea to check with your host as they are the only ones that can help with a server error.
    Open-Realty 2 Documentation

~The Difference Between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE is ATTITUDE~

Did your host specify what the issue was?