Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Styling user forms

Default Styling user forms

Am I correct in saying that the user login, signup and profile forms are dynamically generated?

If that's so, can I create custom templates in any way for them.

I'd like more control over the styling of those forms but they aren't generated with and abundance of classes or ids. For instance, the login form has no class or id for the form or the text boxes or labels. Hard to isolate and style.

Thanks.

Default Re: Styling user forms

Couldn't agree with you more about classes and id's. Please dev's "stick 'em everywhere!" haha.

For now there is this: http://support.open-realty.org/showthread.php?t=20305

Quote Originally Posted by zarathustra View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more about classes and id's. Please dev's "stick 'em everywhere!" haha.

For now there is this: http://support.open-realty.org/showthread.php?t=20305
    Nice, but doesn't solve the problem :-)

What I did do was copy the outputted form code to my sidebar template and styled it there. Works just fine... until you type in an incorrect login/password combo and the core outputs the old nasty login form to the main content area.

This problem also exists with the signup and profile forms. This is a shame becuase the rest of OR is wonderfully malleable, meaning you can create this really great looking site... then the login, signup and profile pages spoil it.

Thanks for the almost-great software, team!

Quote Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
    ...then the login, signup and profile pages spoil it. Thanks for the almost-great software, team!
    Have you tried to edit your stylesheet according what you get from the core?
    I mean: using "LAZULI" template... all the forms are inside a div ID "or_content_tag". All others form elements are inside a table class "form_main". And more.
    It is not nice to read your post and see you using words like "spoil" or your irony thanking for an "almost-great" software. Do you wish to help or just criticize? If you wish to help, you are very welcome and please feel free to open tickets at the Feature Request system.
    O-R Dev's do an insane effort FOR FREE (!!!) to make the best for us.

I thanks O-R team for the best and great software ever.

Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

Eduardo, calm down and read my remarks again.

I'm genuinely grateful for the work done by the OR team. My comments relate to an otherwise excellent product that is let down by not having the same control over styling in the user forms output as in the rest of the output.

Here's the output of the user login form as generated by the OR core:

<div id="main_content"><p><strong>You need an account to access this area of the site. If you do not have an account <a href="index.php?action=signup&amp;type=member">cli ck here for registration</a>.</strong></p><form action="" method="post"><input name="referer" value="http://apm.dreamhosters.com/index.php" type="hidden"><table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>Login Name:</td><td><input name="user_name" maxlength="30" type="text"></td></tr><tr><td>Password:</td><td><input name="user_pass" maxlength="30" type="password"></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" align="left"><input name="remember" type="checkbox"><span style="font-size: 10px;">Remember Me Next Time</span></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" align="right"><input value="Log In" type="submit"></td></tr></tbody></table></form>

Now you tell me: where in there do you see classes and IDs that enable anyone to have any decent control over how the login form looks? Also, because there's lots of inline formatting that has to be overridden in the CSS.

Likewise here's the output for the user signup form:

<div id="main_content"><form action="?action=signup&amp;type=member" method="post"><table class="form_main"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="row_main"><h3>User Signup</h3></td></tr><tr> <td class="row_main" align="right"><strong>Username <span class="required">*</span></strong></td> <td class="row_main" align="left"> <input name="edit_user_name" type="text"></td></tr><tr><td class="row_main" align="right"><strong>Password <span class="required">*</span></strong></td><td class="row_main" align="left"> <input name="edit_user_pass" type="password"></td></tr><tr> <td class="row_main" align="right"><strong>Password</strong> (Again)<strong><span class="required">*</span></strong> </td> <td class="row_main" align="left"> <input name="edit_user_pass2" type="password"></td></tr><tr><td class="row_main" align="right"><b>First Name</b> <b><span class="required">*</span></b></td><td class="row_main" align="left"> <input name="user_first_name" type="text"></td></tr><tr><td class="row_main" align="right"><b>Last Name</b> <b><span class="required">*</span></b></td><td class="row_main" align="left"> <input name="user_last_name" type="text"></td></tr><tr><td class="row_main" align="right"><strong>Email</strong> <strong><span class="required">*</span></strong><br>(not displayed on site)</td> <td class="row_main" align="left"> <input name="user_email" type="text"></td></tr><tr><td class="row_main" align="right"><strong>Phone </strong></td><td class="row_main" align="left"><input name="phone" value="" style="width: 100px;" type="text"></td></tr><tr><td class="row_main" align="right"><strong>Mobile </strong></td><td class="row_main" align="left"><input name="mobile" value="" style="width: 100px;" type="text"></td></tr><tr><td class="row_main" colspan="2" align="center"><input value="Submit" type="submit"></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" class="row_main" align="center">Items marked <span class="required">*</span> are required</td></tr></tbody></table></form></div>

Except for a whole bunnch of class="row_main", I don't see much for the CSS to work with.

Now, I'm competent enough to hack--and I mean HACK--around this problem and end up with something that sorta, kinda blends in with the rest of my template, but for novices, well, they can forget it.

The ability to style and template most aspects of OR is wonderful and easily understood. It's just a damn shame that the dynamically generated forms are NOT.

Now you tell me: where in there do you see classes and IDs that enable anyone to have any decent control over how the login form looks? Also, because there's lots of inline formatting that has to be overridden in the CSS.
    I tell you with an example that took me 5 minutes to write. Look the attached file. Tested with IE8 and FF3.5.1 and checked at W3C CSS Validator.
    I could even say that you can edit ALL texts at your language file, inserting DIV's, SPAN's, H1's or whatever allowed HTML element (of course, with ID's and classes as you wish) - but you know that already, right?
    Everything, with no core changes.

Login pages are not templated and we have a Feature Request posted.
    We have A LOT of hardcoded TABLES and DIVs (without IDs or/and CLASSes) generated by the core. Yes, it could be better. So I say again: you wish to help? Open a ticket at the Feature Request system and tell O-R Dev's wich is the code need to be changed/fixed/improved - for sure it will be implemented.

Eduardo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

Eduardo: thanks for posting that file. I'm sure it'll be of help to the novices. I already know how to do that.

As you suggest, the situation is not ideal regarding the forms generated by the core. I appreciate that this situation will be rectified in the future.

And I will open a feature request ticket.

Eduardo: thanks for posting that file. I'm sure it'll be of help to the novices. I already know how to do that.

As you suggest, the situation is not ideal regarding the forms generated by the core. I appreciate that this situation will be rectified in the future.

And I will open a feature request ticket.
    I posted a quick way to format the signup form in sandbox thread because it requires a small hack to the user_manager.inc file.

http://support.open-realty.org/showthread.php?p=95619

other forms can be done in a similar manner.

Regards,
    Aden

Aden, I wanted avoid hacking the core, and an addon to replace the specific user functions had occurred to me.

The question I have for the OR experts is: since the user login form is output in the {content} tag, if I simply create an addon to mimic the user login form output function and reference it with my own template tag, I'm still missing out on the full {content} tag output, which is important for displaying error messages, etc., during form submission.

How can that be solved?

I've added a feature request a few days ago for form templates.

http://www.open-realty.org/featurere...md=view&id=546

Lets hope the good folks in OR development team have the time to get to this feature request.

Last edited by JawaMan; 07-29-2009 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spelling mistake