Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When will v.2.5.8 be released?

Default When will v.2.5.8 be released?

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, but could someone kindly tell me when the OR development team expect to release 2.5.8?

A rough time frame +/- 2 days would be great.

Thanks

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: When will v.2.5.8 be released?

No one knows.

I know it's done when I can download it.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Hey Sandking.. how about showing some respect and answering the question if you can instead of writting stupid remarks like, "I know it's done when I can download it." Really, was that necessary?

The person asked a simple question, if your going to respond in the OR forum please respond with maturity, respect and professionalism.

I heard today that 2.5.8 is almost ready.. which exceeds, Noone knows.. cause frankly, i bothered to ask the people who do know and thats what was said.

Should try that sometime, sandking.. be a little more helpful then hinder those..

"if you going to have a knee jerk reaction in the OR forums, be sure that you dont put your foot in your mouth"..

SK's answer is a good one. The question is a bad one. All of the OR developers are doing this for free, in their spare time when they can squeeze it in.

We gave up a long time ago on giving estimated release dates on Open-Realty because when that day comes and goes without a release, people get very hostile.

I could tell you that 2.5.8 is going to be released tonight (no, its probably not), however, if something happens to prevent that then everybody gets really mean and short in the numerous forum posts that show up the next day when its not available which wastes more of our time that we could be working on OR.

To put it simply, 2.5.8 has been "almost ready" now for about 4 weeks. Finding new bugs, deciding on additional new features to add, cleaning things up, real life issues that need attention and other things have delayed the release week after week now.

Quote Originally Posted by drue View Post
    Hey Sandking.. how about showing some respect and answering the question if you can instead of writting stupid remarks like, "I know it's done when I can download it." Really, was that necessary?

The person asked a simple question, if your going to respond in the OR forum please respond with maturity, respect and professionalism.

I heard today that 2.5.8 is almost ready.. which exceeds, Noone knows.. cause frankly, i bothered to ask the people who do know and thats what was said.

Should try that sometime, sandking.. be a little more helpful then hinder those..

"if you going to have a knee jerk reaction in the OR forums, be sure that you dont put your foot in your mouth"..
    Open-Realty 2 Documentation

~The Difference Between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE is ATTITUDE~

I disagree, a question is a question and there are no bad questions, their are only bad answers. I recognize that Sandking is a moderator and personally I see no reason why a professional level of response coming from a moderator in the OR forums shouldnt always occur.

Though, allow me to very clear in expressing, I'm very appreciative and grateful for all the hard work and efforts that the developers of OR contribute. OR is an outstanding project and I'm fully aware that everyone contributes to it for free and on their spare time. I personally have many times to date answered questions via PM or in the forums for free as well.

But come on, " I know it's done when I can download it." doesnt make the grade for a moderator.

So how about this public answer.

Dear OR members, 2.5.8 is still under developement and at this time we do not have a release date but are working to make sure this next release addresses the bugs reported as well improvements in functionality. Thank you for your ongoing support of OR. We will keep you posted on the progress of 2.5.8. Thanks again.

2.5.8 will go to the beta testers tomorrow. I expect we will have a final build this weekend, pending any major issues.

Quote Originally Posted by greengiant View Post
    2.5.8 will go to the beta testers tomorrow. I expect we will have a final build this weekend, pending any major issues.
    Great news... Can't wait. A hearty thanks to everyone that contributes.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by drue View Post

But come on, " I know it's done when I can download it." doesnt make the grade for a moderator.
    Err, by what yardstick exactly are you attempting to measure me with? Perhaps you have a degree or maybe a certificate in "forum moderation"? If so, where can I obtain one?

Questions about "is it done yet?" appear here about every 2-3 weeks, and Mick or some other Dev comes out and says the same thing every time: "When it is ready". A search (of course) will yield this information.

The idea here is to keep Devs developing and out of the forums when unnecessary. In the future if you don't like mine or someone else's responses here, first: breathe and run the offensive text through your snark detector, and then feel free to PM me if you still have an issue. These forums are definitely not the place to voice your dissatisfaction either way.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

MODERATED - be nice or be gone, ranting is not allowed.

Drue,

I totally agree with SandKing... Come on you are getting a free software and complaining about the support. I bet you would not give any support to your own customer if they don't pay you. I wouldn't

As he said

Questions about "is it done yet?" appear here about every 2-3 weeks, and Mick or some other Dev comes out and says the same thing every time: "When it is ready". A search (of course) will yield this information.
    How boring it would be to answer the same question over and over. Beside he's one of the guys who's contributing his time on the OR development. Instead of complaining you should respect all of OR devs including the SandKing for what they have created and trying their best to answer all the questions addressed in OR forums.

All of my questions always answered in a short time... If you go over OsCommerce forum you will see a lot of questions left unreplied.

So you are the one should let it go