Thread: my work in progress

Default my work in progress

Hi,

I started this project about a month ago. The site will be used by a friend that has a small real estate agency.

The entire designe is based on Rounded Boxes - 3 columns.
    I modified the database, the javascripts, some core files, i also added the RO translation, witch i have to do it myself, since none posted yet a romanian lang pack (the website as you can see is in romanian language, and i will post a link to the romanian pack as soon i will be sure it is correctly translated, since i still find sometimes errors).

The horizontal and vertical menus are build with css and jquery ( i got the ideea from someone else, while browsing the OR forum. I don't remember who was, but i thank him/her ).

The main page search is made using the OR tabpane system ( i still have to css this one )

The flash banner on the mainpage.. well .. just ignore it.. i have to rework (resize) that one and also to fix a bug where it doesn't show in Internet Explorer ..

The W3 validators will show hundreds of errors right now. I will fix all of them once i get it all up and running the way i wanna.

I have to thank you all for the free addons i use. Not gonna name them since they are alot.
    Without them, i would'nt have managed to make this website.
    Thank You all.

Edit:.almost forgot.. there are 2 news adds on the sides. Also i have a tax calculator that links to another website ( that doesn't belong to me) but they gaved me the permission to use theyr calculator.

... here it is

P.S. Don't kill me for the colors. My friend is a huge fan of a football team, and white-red are they colors. It was a pain in the @$$ to convince him to use black fonts .. he wanted all red

Default Re: my work in progress

Beautiful site the only thing is in my opinion I think the header is a but too plain and empty everything else is great though.

Thank you slimbones

I did some progress from my first post here, now the tabbed search form was css'd, the w3c validor gives only 35 errors in this moment (i had 150+ when first posted ) and i hope in few days i'll bring it to udner 10 (some errors are generated by some code that doesn't belong to me, and the sourcecode is encoded, therefore i cannot modify it).
    Also, the horizontals menu now have black/grey backgrounds ( was white first ) .
    I still have to add alot of content, but my friend still forgets to send me the data .

You are right about the header, thinking to reduce it from 980x220px to something like 980x90px or 980x100px.. this will remove the impression of emptyness it has now, but i have to ask my friend if he agree with that, since he wished to have that big simple header.

All critics or ideas are welcome, constructive or not .Waiting for more .

Marin

Default Header Text

The text in the header bar, the ones in big white letters, look out of focus. It is really hard on the eyes. I kept blinking over and over to make sure it wasn't just me. I would see if you can revisit that graphic and sharpen that.

Well, since already 2 peoples tell me that it's something wrong with that header, i'll start to redesign it tonight as soon i get home.

Thank you for the observations bownut

Edit: meanwhile did some work on the XHTML validation.. only 3 errors now..a table that needs the css reworked.. and also i have to modify a bit the template for the slideshow (thinking to remove it completelly ..)
    Last edited by marin; 11-25-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: adding some info

Smile Re: my work in progress

Hey man i really like ur site...what template did u use though i dont understand ur language i still love the template and the whole css layout...pls how did u achieve this...am kindda new to open realty

@ stanbuggy

Thank you man.

The entire designe is based on Rounded Boxes - 3 columns. I just modiffied the css .. made the template look Square instead of Rounded .. I hardcoded the search form on main page (still is not working the way i wanna to and i don't have the time to fix it..), also the "Search by ID" form on the left side, I did also alot of modifications to the core (i don't recomand that). I used a lot of free addons from the OR site and forum.

The logo is made with Gimp (therefore the low quality..).I have to work a bit more on that since i know Gimp can produce high quality stuff too.. but i don't really have the time for it.

The contact form (the button with the text "TRIMITE ACUM OFERTA TA" will open the contact form) i used is not integrated into the OR site, and i use the Captcha free system provided by http://recaptcha.net/.

I did the site in about a month and half in my free time .. total time worked was like 20 hours or so and it took me that much just because it was the first time using OR for me too.

Since this project was for an friend and was not payed one, and i offered to make it just to get used to the OR.. i think i managed to make a pretty good and functional site (not 100%, but close to that). Now.. the only thing that remained to achieve is to convince my friend to actually add some real real-estate content to it.. and he's damn lazzy when it comes to that.

Sorry for the long post.

My point is: just have fun, read the OR documentation, experiment with OR and modify it as much as you can, get used to OR power and limitations (yep.. there are limitations too ) .. and you'll get a very nice site.

Marin