Thread: Character Encoding issue 2.5.8

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Character Encoding issue 2.5.8

Since upgrading from 2.5.7 to 2.5.8 I have had these odd characters appear.

The database was in Latin-Swedish and so since the upgrade I have migrated each table seperately to utf8_unicode.

The character set in admin is set to UTF-8 and I have MBString set to 'Yes'. I am hosted on Transparent servers.

Here is a link to the issue...

http://www.ashfield-property.co.uk/l...Broad-438.html

Any ideas how to get the text to appear correctly? I have two other sites with the same issue, but I have not converted the database with them yet until I can resolve this issue.

Thanks

Lloyd

Default Re: Character Encoding issue 2.5.8

If you look at the source html you will find the following:

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" />

Your template files need changing to utf8

Quote Originally Posted by keystrokes247 View Post
    Any ideas how to get the text to appear correctly?
    At your main.html template file you have:
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" />
    Modify to:
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset={charset}" />
    Eduardo

Open-Realty« DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by keystrokes247 View Post
    The database was in Latin-Swedish and so since the upgrade I have migrated each table seperately to utf8_unicode.
    I can't asure, but this can also be the source of the problem.
    You changed the collation and seems you didn't confirm if you could do that.
    Anyway... if you had your site running fine set as ISO-8859-1 I see no reason to change it. You should only change from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 at site config. If you have a backup try it.

Eduardo

Open-Realty« DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by ebmarques View Post
    I can't asure, but this can also be the source of the problem.
    You changed the collation and seems you didn't confirm if you could do that.
    Anyway... if you had your site running fine set as ISO-8859-1 I see no reason to change it. You should only change from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 at site config. If you have a backup try it.

Eduardo
    Thank you, I have restored the database so it is back to Latin-Swedish. and I ahve updated the template to read

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset={charset}" />
    I have set the character set to ISO-8859-1 in site config.

Still erros, I have now gone through all the listings that it has affected and manauly corrected the text. In doing so I discoivered many listings have lost the text in "Full Description", fortunately my client uses the same description for the first photo, so I have managed to copy and paste the text on each listing from photo description to full description.

Any ideas why the upgrade would have wiped the text in this field?

I don't think the upgrade wiped the fields. I am guessing that converting the db tables caused the problem. If not done properly, changing the character set of a db table could cause problems or loss of existing data. Form what I have read, the proper way to change the character set is:

1. Backup the database.
    2. Export the existing data
    3. Truncate table
    4. Change character set
    5. Import data

Just checked and the upgrade process from 2.5.7 to 2.5.8 does not do anything to the listingsdbelements table which is where the description is stored. Since it doesn't even touch that table, I can't see how the upgrade could cause the fiels to get wiped.

Quote Originally Posted by pbflash View Post
    ...I am guessing that converting the db tables caused the problem. If not done properly, changing the character set of a db table could cause problems or loss of existing data...
    I am quite sure that was the problem. I have seen it happen many times.
    Open-Realty does not require any modification at the database and that's what the OP did.
    About "wiped" field values... for sure there is nothing related to the update.

Eduardo

Open-Realty« DOCs

Quote Originally Posted by pbflash View Post
    I don't think the upgrade wiped the fields. I am guessing that converting the db tables caused the problem. If not done properly, changing the character set of a db table could cause problems or loss of existing data. Form what I have read, the proper way to change the character set is:

1. Backup the database.
    2. Export the existing data
    3. Truncate table
    4. Change character set
    5. Import data
    Hi Paul

I would agree, however BEFORE i changed the tables I did a back up, so I have since restored the backup so I am working on the data as it is post upgrade. I am not too worried, both of the other sites have not lost any text, but wanted to make sure it was not an issue anyone else had encountered.

The issue will only arise now for this one site if their inactive rental listings need to become active again as I have not copied this text across for those inactive listings. I have manually done the active ones.

Me thinks??? is there an SQL query I could use to copy the text from photo1 to "full description" on the property, for all properties. The rule for the customer is that ALWAYS the text for photo1 is the same text as "Full Description" however I am not sure that photo1 can be referenced easily.

Any suggestions for this SQL?
    I am seeing that in table listingimages where listingsdb_id=437 listingimages_rank=1 the listingimages_description is the same text as in table listingdbelements for full_desc where listingsdb_id=437

Regards

Lloyd

Hi, Ebmarques!

I have a blog cyrillic encoding problem. I write somthing in blog, after saving, this đ�đŻđ┤đÁđ║Đ� đ�đ�đú strange chars are appearing in blog editor, while in front page encoding is ok!

Interesting thing is that Title of blog is ok both in front page and editor whereas in DB both Title and body text are in same strang chars as above. Everywhere encoding is UTF-8.