Thread: Small Brokerage in Georgia

Talking Small Brokerage in Georgia

Here is my site: http://www.sheridansolomon.com

There are certain things about the site that MUST remain because of the broker's preference. For instance, I have to have all those Featured Listing even though I'd rather have one.

I'm pretty satisfied with the design. However, I'm such a newbie, I don't know how to proceed with creating a custom search page. So, let me know how you did your custom search pages and also your custom mini searches on your home page if you don't mind sharing.

Default Re: Small Brokerage in Georgia

I really enjoy the look of your menu's and the way it just fit into the design.

One problem in Firefox 3.5.5 and InternetExplorer 8, while looking at one of the clips (youtube embedded) here if you scroll the page up and down, you'll notice the movie will cover the footer. No idea how it looks on other browser...Since i had once same issue and took me a few days to find out what i was doing wrong, i'll sent you a PM with a quick fix (not posting here since it may be possible that is not allowed, since this is the show off thread and not the help one ).

However, you did a really nice job with your site, and i really love the design

Marin
    Last edited by marin; 11-25-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: typos and reformulated some ideas

Lightbulb Re: Small Brokerage in Georgia

Suggestion, you might change the number of images per row in your admin settings... Current setting is allowing so many images that even on my wide screen it's forcing the page to have to be horizontally scrolled. I would try 6 per line and it should work out well for 1024 x 768 resolutions... Still one of the top resolutions to design for.

Lightbulb Re: Small Brokerage in Georgia

One other though, while the images for your main menu are eloquent... they also through in a quark...

Rollover images should ALWAYS be preloaded... there is another option and even a better on imo...

Look into using transparent gif or better yet transparent png files for the menu images and then change the background color on rollover.

IMO, ditch the javascript menu for a pure css solution... faster, cleaner and reusable... smaller overhead for page load times...

I have a really good link for a tutorial on Pure CSS parent/child menus... Don't have it with me on the laptop but if you are interested let me know and I'll post it later.

You can see a simple working version of the Pure CSS on my clients OR site Mackie Properties, LLC. The only javascript I use relating to the menu and other links is to make the site XHTML valid... Here is my javascript and use...

Code:
    // JavaScript Document
    function Links() {  
     if (!document.getElementsByTagName) return;  
     var anchors = document.getElementsByTagName("a");  
     for (var i=0; i<anchors.length; i++) {  
       var anchor = anchors[i];  
       if (anchor.getAttribute("href") &&  
           anchor.getAttribute("rel") == "external")  
         anchor.target = "_blank";
    	    if (anchor.getAttribute("href") &&  
           anchor.getAttribute("rel") == "parent")  
         anchor.target = "_parent";
     }  
    }  
    window.onload = Links;
    links.js - include that in your site

with links,

HTML Code:
    <a href="somepage.htm" rel="_blank">Page Link</a>
    Last edited by b-town; 12-08-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Example link!