Thread: Midwest Florida MLS Planet Realtor and the photo problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Midwest Florida MLS Planet Realtor and the photo problem

Ok here is the skinny... I am a developer who needs a custom solution for a realtor site accessing the MFR MLS (midwest Florida). I want to use OR and transparent's IDX solution and host it with them.

But they(transparent) say there is a problem with the pictures, their software can not retrieve them. Import, yes, retrieve no. They do not know how to retrieve them... which I find is odd because they write the software... but hey maybe they just dont want to be bothered with offering hosting for Florida clients....

Does anyone know what I need to do to be able to use OR with the midwest florida regional MLS???? either with Transparent IDX product or not? I want to use OR and I dont mind supporting Transparent but I need something that will work.

Any ideas???

MOVED - to Work forum.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: Midwest Florida MLS Planet Realtor and the photo problem

Most good IDX vendors provide photo archives, for example .ZIP file collections of photos. PlanetRealtor stopped providing .ZIP photo files almost a year ago.

The problem with PlanetRealtor's photos is they use a remote HTTP media server and don't provide photos in a way they can easily and efficiently be downloaded in quantity. Any solution that downloads photos from a HTTP media server has to do it one at a time no differently really than someone using a photo link in a web browser. This can be very time consuming, and a not very fault-tolerant method of obtaining photos, and MFR is a huge regional MLS to boot. It's not likely that Transparent does not know how to do it, they just don't want to be responsible for supporting and maintaining something that is not going to work efficiently or reliably.

OR natively works with physical photo files uploaded into it, and not photos that are hosted elsewhere that are intended to be displayed by linking to them. There are arguments for and against doing it like this, but in a nutshell that's why a good method of importing photos from PlanetRealtor does not exist, the photos they now provide are not intended for import, they are intended for being linked-to, something OR itself does not presently support.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

If you want to use IDX manager to handle the data import, I could create an addon that would create photo displays that link to the images. The images would not be imported to your site as that would be complicated and not very efficient as sandking has already mentioned.

Thanks for the info.

Of course I will be open to any option that works be it linking too; or downloading... I can see the downloading being an issue, lots of pictures every day... big waste of bandwidth

you guys know what you are doing so I am not going to argue with you on this, I just want something that will work so I can have my own datadbase for this one client... once that is up and working I will look for assistance is sharing the database between seperate local accounts so I can try to recoup my investment. That means I will need to hire someone to help me :-)

You can send me a PM with your email and I will respond directly.

Thanks everyone for your help, do not be afraid to post me a message if you can help. I will entertain all options and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by royhunters View Post
    I will look for assistance is sharing the database between seperate local accounts so I can try to recoup my investment.
    I would check with the MLS before doing this. Most of them have strict rules about sharing data and who is allowed to use the data.

I am aware of the MLS rules, by sharing it, I mean using the same Db info for websites for other approved agents in my area only as a means of trying to break even on the IDX side. The development costs to make this work and get it set up will be too high for a single agent site by the time I pay someone for the assistance I will need. I am not looking to make money with the IDX portion, I make my money on the SEO and site development. The IDX just makes my other work more attractive... It will be a sales tool, nothing more.

I play by the rules, my reputation is very important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pbflash View Post
    If you want to use IDX manager to handle the data import, I could create an addon that would create photo displays that link to the images. The images would not be imported to your site as that would be complicated and not very efficient as sandking has already mentioned.

Did anyone every figure this out to simply pull the images from their http media server instead of downloading the images to the local web server?

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by jasontd101 View Post
    Did anyone every figure this out to simply pull the images from their http media server instead of downloading the images to the local web server?
    Questions should be directed to the OP, or to the Developer who offered their services via PM or email when it is provided.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

My pictures from the mls listings are linked to their media server. I'm not using any vendor but wrote my own script to pull the data from the RETS server.
    At first I tried to download the pictures but it was just too much data and very time consuming. So I decided just to link the pictures and it works just fine.
    However, some core modification was necessary for the serch result page (thumbnails) and the listing detail page