Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MLS listings will not download to my server

Default MLS listings will not download to my server

hi after our MLS swtiched servers, the new listings are not being downloaded to my server

How can I delete all the old listings and reconfigure the download to upll from the correct server to mine?

I also need some design work

thanks
    Kevin

webmaster (at) kdgrealestate.com

MODERATED - please do not post exploitable personal information. This is for your benefit. Email address adjusted.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann the_sandking is on a distinguished road

Default Re: MLS listings will not download to my server

Are you wanting to hire someone or are you just looking for support for Open-Realty? If the latter, you are posting in the incorrect forum, the Work forum is for posting paid support requests, hiring a developer or designer for example. You should also not post personal information here such as phone numbers or email addresses that can be harvested by bots, or your post will get moderated.

Regardless, OR does not have a built-in MLS import feature, so you would have to be using a third party MLS import add-on of some kind (probably commercial), which we cannot support via these forums. If your MLS import add-on is commercial, whoever created it or installed it is where you should first seek assistance for problems with your import unless that is no longer an option for you.

Who setup your MLS import add-on software originally and what is it called?
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

I originally set it up. It is using VieleRETS which is horrible to work with and it was never working 100% from the beginning. I suggested using TransparentRETS from the start but he did not want to spend the money. I think it would be cheaper to purchase TransparentRETS than to pay someone for the hours of labor required to get Viele working right.

I thought viele was ok.. It was never working correctly but it worked somewhat.. I was looking for fixing this and making everything working correctly so that is why I posted in here...

I want a better functioning site.

Right now there are a bunch of listings on the server but they are all expired so I need a way to download new listings and a better search.. It never really searched correctly

thanks
    Kevin

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann the_sandking is on a distinguished road

I'd start by getting a hassle-free RETS import add-on:

http://www.transparent-realestate.co...arentrets.html
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

Is it possible to fix vielerets for now.

Or a way for a non monthly fee. I am not looking for a monthly fee

Quote Originally Posted by kgordon View Post
    Is it possible to fix vielerets for now.

Or a way for a non monthly fee. I am not looking for a monthly fee
    Maybe, but for what you would probably spend fixing it, you can buy TRETS which is made specifically for Open-Realty and is professionally supported and updated. IMHO, nobody knows more about RETS clients, RETS compatibility issues, or has more experience importing RETS feeds into Open-Realty then Transparent Tech.

A monthly fee is just one of the options they offer, you can also outright buy a copy to run yourself.

-George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

I am looking for an honest web programmer for future projects.. At this time I jsut want to configure vielerets to pull listings from the new MLS server.

why would it cost 300 dollars just to change the server to pull the listings from?

Ok from the start I paid 250 and asked if there was a 24/7 type support and was told yes..

I am just wondering why I paid 250 to not have a properly working site.. I can not continue to use open realty with the issues I am having

1. I can not delete the expired listings without doing it manually on each one and that is 47000 listings

2. I added my own listings and they aren't being displayed

3. I would like to import new listings from our new MLS

So is there a fair and honest person on this site or must I look elsewhere? I dont think it is too much to ask to pay 250 for open realty to have a fully functioning site with support.. Why do these things not work and why cant I get a simple answer where to change the the server from the MLS download?

why would it cost 300 dollars just to change the server to pull the listings from?
    It might not, it might cost $600, or the new server might not work at all with vRETS for months if ever. Even if the setup was considered to be completely typical, I would guesstimate that someone who is actually experienced with this stuff (honest or otherwise) will spend at least a workday getting things going with vRETS even under the best of conditions, so multiply that times whatever the going rate is for a qualified person, and then add 10% for the unexpected.

It was never working correctly but it worked somewhat
    O.K. Are you saying you would be satisfied with only achieving the same degree of "partial-functionality"?

vRETS is intended for use by experienced programmers who don't mind putting-up with unusual results, who can develop their own elaborate workarounds, or who don't need OR-specific features like the creation of custom listing Titles for SEO purposes (to name one of many). An average "web programmer" is not going to be able to work-around any limitations and tweak it for you on an ongoing basis in any fashion that could really be considered cost effective for both you and the programmer. If you are an RE Agent and you happen to also be an experienced web developer vRETS is a great resource because it gives you the rough tools to build a RETS import for free, but with very limited support.

TRETS is a finished product that's ready to go to work, that you don't have to fuss with to obtain reliable and consistent results. It also includes prompt, professional support and is guaranteed by its producer to work.

Ok from the start I paid 250 and asked if there was a 24/7 type support and was told yes..

I am just wondering why I paid 250 to not have a properly working site..
    Open-Realty and VieleRETS are both free and always have been, so I am guessing you paid for someone's time to attempt to setup vieleRETS. If so, that's really cheap. If vieleRETS never quite worked right, that's also not necessarily the fault of the person you hired, vieleRETS does not work everywhere and even when it does work, there can be other compatibility problems that must be addressed by the maker of vieleRETS or the RETS server vendor you were connecting to. In many cases, problems with RETS imports are because the MLS's vendor played fast and loose with their implementation of the RETS spec.

1. I can not delete the expired listings without doing it manually on each one and that is 47000 listings
    TransparentRETS does this automatically. VieleRETS does not.

2. I added my own listings and they aren't being displayed
    Not sure what the exact problem here is, but I do know TRETS will not interfere with manually added listings as long as you add them to their own property class that is not receiving listings from the MLS.

3. I would like to import new listings from our new MLS
    That's why you need working RETS import software. Open-Realty won't do this by itself.

So is there a fair and honest person on this site or must I look elsewhere?
    Fair and honest, or someone who will just work for cheap? I think there are lots of fair and honest people around here, but if you insist on using vRETS, you might indeed have to look elsewhere. I am not applying for this job, I am just attempting to convey some realistic expectations to you.

I dont think it is too much to ask to pay 250 for open realty to have a fully functioning site with support..
    What is the significance of this $250 number? Is this what you expect to pay a developer now for your present project, or what you already paid someone for setting up Open-Realty and/or vieleRETS? If you expect anyone to support you perpetually 24/7 for a one-time $250 software setup job, your expectations are simply not very realistic.

Why do these things not work and why cant I get a simple answer where to change the the server from the MLS download?
    1) Your import does not work, because your existing RETS import software is configured to use your old RETS server and the metadata specific to it. Until you completely re-configure vieleRETS to use your new RETS server and its specific metadata, no import can occur.

2) You can't get a simple answer because there isn't one we can give you here. Open-Realty does not have a built-in MLS listing import feature. These are the Open-Realty support forums where Open-Realty is supported, VieleRETS support information is not available here, vieleRETS has its own technical support channels for programmers.

http://www.crt.realtors.org/projects/rets/viele/

Whatever route you decide to take in the end, I wish you the best of luck.

(TL;DR version)

Open-Realty is free software produced by Transparent Technologies that web programmers use to build real estate sites for Brokers and Agents. Open-Realty does not have a built-in listing import feature. Support for Open-Realty is provided via these free support forums.

vieleRETS is a free RETS import framework for programmers produced and distributed by the Center for Realtor Technology (CRT). vieleRETS can save listings from RETS servers in various formats and includes limited import capabilities for Open-Realty. Programmer and technical support for vieleRETS is provided by the CRT and not via the Open-Realty forums.

TransparentRETS is a commercial MLS listing and photo import add-on produced by Transparent Technologies that is specifically designed for Open-Realty. Professional support for TransparentRETS is also provided by Transparent Technologies

-George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

Closed Thread