Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I registered for the FREE version but I cannot download it yet

Default Re: I registered for the FREE version but I cannot download it yet

OK, 99% of the problems may be as you state, but what about the issues I list? Especially regarding the phone call, the whole download process should really be better explained and made simpler.

I'm not trying to get a comparisons to other software companies, I just though it would be better all round to use an easier, less intrusive system for getting out the free version? Don't you want to get it downloaded and installed by as many people as possible in the hopes they may then buy the Professional Edition and some Transparent Technologies add-ons, or at the very least have "powered by Open Realty" logo displayed on sites giving OR3 more exposure and growth?

Lastly, can you tell us how often OR 3 calls home? Is it only at installation or does it do it on a regular interval?

Hi,

I wanted to briefly answer some of the questions/concerns people had about the registration process.

1. Why do we require registration with valid contact information?

Simple. We want to know who is downloading our software and agreeing to our license. This is to protect our Intellectual Property rights should a problem arise. You can blame this extra layer of protection on software pirates. Why we would love to say here is a free download link that requires no registrations, we also do not want to see another company selling distributing our product tomorrow as their own.

2. What are we collecting when the software calls home?

Domain, IP, Path that you have the software installed and your license key. This is done to make sure that a license key is used on only a single installation. You can see the information that we collected by viewing your license details on our site..

3. Does the software call home more then once?

Yes. It calls home at certain intervals and verifies your license is valid and you are operating at the installation location that the license key is registered to run at. There are previsions in our licensing system to allow for server outages etc.

4.What are doing with your name, email address, phone, and address after we collect it?

We do not sell or give away your contact information. We use it only to contact you in regards to your license should we need to, and to verify who should you forget your login information etc..

To sum this all up, there is no evil master plan to take over the world.. We simply want to know who is using the software in order to protect our software and our business, so we can continue to provide you guys with great software down the road.

We will work on drafting up a privacy policy to this effect and getting it posted to help put your mind at ease.

I appreciate this information, it does clear up some things.

Just one last point, the encoding and the license key, is that not enough to hinder any pirating of OR3? I mean, for someone like me who has used the old version of OR and knows what a great product it is, will take the extra steps to download the new version, even though I have the opinion it's a little too complicated a process, but a new user who just wants to give OR3 a quick try out may give up before even getting to download OR3.

Again, can I suggest a demo license valid for a try out period, say 30 days, which should be an easy one click download and then perhaps a demo license key sent to an email address, and please allow gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc email addresses. After the trial period if a person wants to then go on and use the free version for their site, then I guess it's reasonable to then ask for further information.

I'm sure only the most paranoid would think you did have an "evil master plan" by collecting the data you ask for, but people can be sensitive about giving up even small bits of personal information. Lets not forget, you need to make this an easy process and get your software out there, I am really hoping for OR3 to succeed in it's new form. I'm just trying to find a correlation between intellectual property protection and giving personal detail when you do have your software encoded and a license key in place? You have already said, OR3 calls home with the domain and IP address, is that not enough information to keep track of a user?

Hello
    I just asked for free version of OR and I cannot finish the process. I got email with licence key, but I cannot enter valid domain, IP and directory (what means "directory" by the way?) as proper fields seems to be blocked - I cannot write anything into this filds.
    So it's impossible to finish buying free version...

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by rental View Post
    Hello
    I just asked for free version of OR and I cannot finish the process. I got email with licence key, but I cannot enter valid domain, IP and directory (what means "directory" by the way?) as proper fields seems to be blocked - I cannot write anything into this filds.
    So it's impossible to finish buying free version...
    You don't enter that information, it is automatically retrieved from where you install Open-Realty.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Thank you for quick reply, but the problem with downloading still exists (I thought the reason was those three fields I cannot write in).

I followed information received by email and in the screen where is download icon when I click it I receive:
    "Access Denied - Your order is still pending or you must purchase the associated product before you can download this"

Did you receive an email with your license key yet stating your order was approved? If not, your order is still pending.

In fact, it clearly is displayed (in red) after you place an order that all orders are manually approved and that can take up to 12 hours after being placed.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

I received email with licence key 21st July. I followed 4 steps stated in email and as result I have error message descripted in previous post.

Maybe new registration for free version will help?

Regards

You should open a OR v3 support ticket after logging-into your client area and explain your problem. Be sure to send them your order #.

-George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

Thank you very much! I'm shocked by fast response during weekend. Keep up good service. I will test OR and I hope functionality is as good as forum and ticket service.
    Regards
    Janusz