Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: End of open-source, encrypted code and beta testing shut down.

Default Re: End of open-source, encrypted code and beta testing shut down.

Read the blog. Nice profile picture! First time I've seen your face, Ryan. It's good to put a face to the names here. So if I don't want commercial support and am using OR v2.5.6 and want to stay legal, what must I do? Nothing?

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by mrealty View Post
    So if I don't want commercial support and am using OR v2.5.6 and want to stay legal, what must I do? Nothing?
    Yup, you don't have to do anything.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Hallo community,

First, its nice to see that something happens here after a while : )

Welcome 3.0. , and I wish all best to TT devs with new project.

Regarding the "end of open-source and encrypted code" honestly I can say, I think its a very bad business decision. Its just my opinion, time will show who was wrong. I'm marketer, and from my point of view, there were plenty of other ways to earn money on this project. But, its a owner decision, and I respect that. I think you should listen better your users! Ask them what they need, and what they would be willing to pay for.

Encoded files are not big problem, asking for logo/link is not a problem, calling home is not a problem, but addon development (including small core files changes) will be, I think.

How someone will be able to develop addon for specific purpose , if developer cant have insight into the code? Is this means that in future, any addon we would need (even a small change to core files) will need to be developed by Transparent Tech? If that is the case, than I will probably continue with my old version of OR. Its not so big problem of payments, but speed of development is. I have seen many work request in work area (never closed), I posted some of them, and never received a quote. So I had to find freelancers on other freelance portals to do job for me. For experienced developers, it wasn't problem to develop anything, if they can see the code of script. So Im asking how we will be able to develop anything in future? Will we need to buy everything from TT? Will you be able to develop everything anyone ask for?

TT has created great product, but I think that you missed a power and value of community that was developed around this script and who was helping spread the word about it. Just for example, from my point of view one of the most deserving people for the awareness of OR is pbflash. I know he helped a hundreds of people here, and that support was one of the most important reasons why someone (including me) has decided to use OR for specific purpose - to buy at least one or more TT products, to spent some time and help other people here. (Btw. Find that man (Paul), and keep him on project).

My other opinion, from business point of view is that this decision could be sword with two edges for TT. I hope that some "OR killer" will not take advantage of this "angry" situation, because I love OR, and really respect all people who were working on development of this script and who were providing so much help to me.

To summarize, I don't have anything against licensing product, making it encoded ( I will be willing to buy a licence, like I did for other TT products), but PLEASE find a way to allow other people to easily develop addons (and make small core changes if necessary) for this great product.

p.s. In my business life, I remember once I made decision to make "free service" commercial. I still have regrets about it, because I have not listened well enough my customers..and there were a plenty of other ways to monetize my work.

Quote Originally Posted by bit View Post
    ...Encoded files are not big problem, asking for logo/link is not a problem, calling home is not a problem, but addon development (including small core files changes) will be,...
    So you will see no problems at all!
    Ryan told me there will be a list with all function names and returns. Once we have it, add-ons can use/call core files and are going to be easily written.
    As I said... calm down, guys! Adjustments are planned and some new suggestions I bet Ryan will consider.

Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

Read the blog. Nice profile picture! First time I've seen your face, Ryan. It's good to put a face to the names here.
    Off topic...
    Mark, I agree with you. It was nice to see Ryan's face. BTW... at the Open-Realty Official Add-ons Website (http://addons.open-realty.org/), at the "Einstein" I used Ryan's eyes - "nobody" knows that.

Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

I thought you used the eyes from this photo. Sorry guys, just trying to lighten the mood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ebmarques View Post
    So you will see no problems at all!
    Ryan told me there will be a list with all function names and returns. Once we have it, add-ons can use/call core files and are going to be easily written.
    As I said... calm down, guys! Adjustments are planned and some new suggestions I bet Ryan will consider.

Eduardo
    I also said:

To summarize, I don't have anything against licensing product, making it encoded ( I will be willing to buy a licence, like I did for other TT products), but PLEASE find a way to allow other people to easily develop addons (and make small core changes if necessary) for this great product.

its good to know Ryan is listening us : ) Thats a good way to go.

I forget to say something about "free" and "not free". After I read Ryan blog post, the part he is talking about developers who earn money on behalf of OR, I think of one situation I had a year ago. I was runing OR powered classifieds site, allowing people to post listings for FREE (investing my money in project), and I figured out that on market, there were some guys who where inserting listing for other people and cashing that service! I was so angry.... , but after i calm down, i figured out it was my mistake. I didnt have a clear vision, I coudnt see that kind of oportunity. Its the same like restricting other deveopers from developing and showing addons on OR forum, also addons that are competitive to TT products. You should think about that. and yes, Im glad
    Adjustments are planned
    ! and I hope that OR will live many many years from now.

Eduardo. - Whish you all best with your arm.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by ebmarques View Post
    Exactly. People need to relax for the next couple of months and then re-assess. Maybe by then instead of FUD, there will be some constructive criticism. The things you can do with add-ons is virtually unlimited, the add-on system is going to be re-documented (improved), and if you are a template developer, a lot of the things in OR you have been wishing were templated are now.

What got released yesterday is just the tip of the iceberg, there have been 7+ straight months of hardcore development and planning going on.

So, for anyone who still wants to exclaim that Ryan's decision is a bad idea and etc, I say you are nuts trying to predict what might happen when you don't know TT's plans, and have not even spent 24 hours using the new version.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

First of all I would say that I think this is a good move for OR. As mentioned others have been taking OR code and selling it as their own and this will prevent that from continuing.

What really bothers me is the fact that 3 people that have spent a lot of their time to help develop and support OR were basically told thanks for the help, now it's time to go commercial and we're keeping the profits to ourselves. But your more than welcome to help continue to support our script for free. Especially when I was personally told by Ryan that I would still be part of the team when OR went commercial. This was in a phone call from Ryan about 2 years ago.

Regarding CMS Realty and my Wordpress plugin, OR 3.0 could never be used for these projects. Both Joomla and Worpress require that any extensions available through their sites are open source. Granted I could make open sources bridges to connect with OR which would still meet this requirement but bridges do not offer the integration needed to make a fully functional extension.

In addition, this forum has done nothing to help support CMS Realty. The mere mention of it will get the thread locked if sandking is the first one to see it. Even if the problem is related to OR. At least Mick and Eduardo will try to help the user. Sandking just refers to forum rule #1 which he probably wrote. I guess he forgot that CMS Realty support was originally part of this forum. It was not removed because you no longer wanted to support it, it was removed because I wanted to do more with it than I could do here.

I have no hard feelings against anyone here and I wish OR best of luck in the future. I will still pop in from time to time but I need to focus my efforts on my own projects at this time.

I'm in bro. I'll still donate to Open Realty, though. Ryan deserves it. Sorry to hear so many are stealing and selling Open Realty code. That's pretty lame. Theives always ruin it for the honest folks.

P.S. I'd be willing to pay for commercial support for Open Realty 2.5.6 from whomever will offer it. Please consider it.
    I'm sure OR 3 will be a huge success. Unfortunately, it's not going to work with the other projects I'm already involved in and I need to focus more time on them.