Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What now?

Lightbulb Can OR be Opensource again?

I have been with OR since is was a baby. I have contribute to it before but must admin, not enough.

I feel like I have just lost a very good friend whom i could go to when ever I need some work done in the PHP world. I learned PHP because of Open Realty.

I just check the bottom of the forum and it stated that we have
    Threads 20,521 || Posts 95,989 ||Members 12,362
    This sounds like a great community to me and it seems it is about to come to an end.

I believe that if we were asked to donate even as much as $50.00 to be a part of this great community and keep it open source, something could have worked out.

I understand that Ryan worked and is working hard along with the other devs, but the truth is, it could not have be done without the community effort.

I am not trying to be ungreatfull but the devs could not have reach this point with out the community pulling apart this script and helping to find all the bugs and making feature suggestions.

If all the devs when in a room locked away with a few geniuses (even if they are geniueses themselves) they could not have achieved what they did without us little guys.

I think the statement that was make here is undestanble (Ryans Explaination I am speaking of)

But it seems likeOpen Realty got to this point without a community input. I know that i for on have make a few suggestions and found a few deeply hidden a overlooked bugs and I am sure many others out there have found even more than I have found and suggested more than i have suggested.

It is dad to see such a great community coming to an end and now the guys at wrprealty will have a coulf laugh and say "I told you so".

I think we can save this, with 12,362 members I think at least 1000 people can make something happen.

I know this belongs to Ryan but at the end of the day (I believe). Open realty is and was a community effort.
    Great Templates for your Open-Realty® Website at openrealtytemlates.com
    Need help?, Meet the OR DOC

Default Re: Can OR be Opensource again?

Wow!
    Am I the only one thinking this way?

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by ican View Post
    Wow!
    Am I the only one thinking this way?
    This has all been hashed out in multiple other threads, with the largest finally degrading into a lot of FUD and disrespectful discussion of how best to fork OR which is hardly constructive.

OR's license and closed core code is not going to change anytime soon, but depending on a lot of things Ryan has stated that an open source version may appear again later.

I would direct you here for the final word on this:
    http://support.open-realty.org/showt...051#post105051
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

I think we can save this, with 12,362 members I think at least 1000 people can make something happen.
    Yes, with 1000 people supporting Open-Realty actively then Open-Realty becoming closed source/commercial may never have happened. At the end of the day though, we were lucky if we ever had 10 people actively contributing anything to Open-Realty.
    Open-Realty 2 Documentation

~The Difference Between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE is ATTITUDE~

If that was the case, why didn't we aggressively suggest donation as one of the alternative with a threat of going commercial if we didn’t give.

The truth is, no one knew that donation was that bad and the idea of commercial was the only option.
    I am just saying that at the end of the day, community input did help Open Realty as a script, to get where it is today and that should count for something. What’s done is done but we cannot make it seem like the community was not a great engine that drove Open Realty to the level it is at today. It’s been made out like the community was just a bunch of free loaders who had no use other than grabbing for a free script. I believe that the greed of the community actually force better features and functionality into Open Realty. We just needed a way to make us give and keep it Open Source but that was not even open for discussion.

Don’t get me wrong, I am willing to pay for Open Realty but it is very painful now not being able to look at the code I have worked with for so long.
    It’s like having your favorite car and you are used to being able to pop the hood every now and then and do some tuning to going out one day and see the hood welded down. It may still run well, but it is not the same.

My thing is not really about the cost, I have purchased scripts for more than the current cost of Open realty. It’s losing the freedom to change what I want to change, hence the name “Open Realty”

Again, just my opinion.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

The truth is, no one knew that donation was that bad
    Really? Really?

Here's just a few links I turned up quickly, that go back 5 years, that repeatedly convey the lack of donations and/or contributing developers:

http://support.open-realty.org/showt...0385#post30385

http://support.open-realty.org/showt...0161#post70161

http://support.open-realty.org/showt...5985#post85985

This one really hits home:
    http://support.open-realty.org/showthread.php?19640-Open-Realty-Project-Statistics

http://support.open-realty.org/showthread.php?15092-%A32008-in-donations-to-OR-for-2008
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Not just start to learn about PHP here, this project give me much much more ! and continue giving-me more, now i´m studying about Ioncube. :p

The Ryan declaration - About the new license.

The First reason.
    In my opinion, this is a small business question, with a many small and unsustainable solutions thoughts (like that).
    Is obvious, a free and open-source project to be self-sustaining.

Second reason.
    (The Hematophagous)

I think that is totally fair, and i agree completely with that decision, Yes! Broke part of my learning, plans and some addons too : ))), but i agree completely !!!
    The boss put two Lightsabers on neck of the Siths !!! yes boss, do it !!!

Friends, we can still develop addons and templates, we can use O.R with a free license easily to respect ! (a honror for me!), we can test and make sugestions !
    There is no reason to cry !

Ryan.

Ryan put his face and make a good explanation for me, like a responsible man !

This is a time to support the 'hard' decision, and try to philosophize about 'the why'.

So Ican What now ?

First, you can start makeing those Flash addons Compatible with the new O.R version.
    Second, you can start to rewrite it in jquery!
    Flash ? You never learn about it here man !!!!

Third, stop crying man ! Many doors are open!

Long life to Open-Realty !
    Last edited by Renato.Dias; 06-18-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Many doors are open! :)

...a blind padawan...

Like is pointed out in sandking's list of links, very few people made donations, even when it was pointed out, suggested, hinted at or flat out told to donate. Like the thread AWT started that only got one response, nobody seemed to care. The Open-Realty project was very frustrating to work on given the complete lack of interest from the community to do anything other than get a quality software and website for free... and even complain about certain lacks of features they need in their free software.

It has been VERY hurtful working so hard on a project that people are using to make thousands of dollars off of but we have never received over $1000 in donations in any given year. The hosting costs alone for the Open-Realty website, demo site and forums alone exceed the donations to the project.

I recall one person in particular that asked a ton of questions via the forums and via PM's to me as he setup his site and tweaked it how he wanted it. Then I recall him posting a thank you post (which was in fact rather thoughtful) how he made his first sale thanks to his Open-Realty based website. I suggested that he should make a donation to the project since it helped him get a $3000+ check.... no donation was ever made by that person.

Add to that the number of times that people have numerous core file modifications to their site to add new features to their site through Open-Realty but yet we would almost never receive any code donations or suggestions.

I know that i for on have make a few suggestions and found a few deeply hidden a overlooked bugs and I am sure many others out there have found even more than I have found and suggested more than i have suggested.
    I'm sorry but, IMO, suggesting features that YOU want in the software or finding bugs in the software doesn't really count as a contribution to the software. WE implemented suggestions people wanted to help THEM out. Yes in most cases it has made the software better but we still did the work for you, for free. Normally you'd have to pay a developer a rather large hourly fee to custom code software features for you.... that's time and effort that WE LOST for free. How is that considered a contribution? There have been some pretty major features in the software that were added because people needed them that cost us a lot of time and effort yet we never receive any donations for implementing features people needed.

Believe me, I'm not at all happy about Open-Realty's source being closed and I wish that it wasn't. However, in all the years I've been a part of the project I have never seen any signs of donations, contributions getting any better.
    Open-Realty 2 Documentation

~The Difference Between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE is ATTITUDE~

Default Re: What now?

What about we talk about ? This is the best CMS of all times or not ?

Mick ! $ 3.000 dolars (US dolar) ??? Without any 'Considerations' !?
    Cmo man ! one bear or wine ? any email ? ok! a just open-realty on footer ?

Money and profit ! i like ! i like to eat fish too ! But ...

The boss put two Lightsabers on neck of the Siths !!! Do it Boss !!! do it now !!! :p

))))))))

[]´s

...a blind padawan...

Renato.Dias I heard you but I was not crying, I made a few points and I think they are valid points. If people were afraid to make points, only one set of opinions would run this world.

I am simply saying that I miss the ability to go into the code and make my own changes. Not everyone is skilled at making addons so messing with core was a good way for me to get things done. That's what I miss most.

The reason why I have not purchased a copy yet is simply because the new features or not things that I need right now.

Again just my "Open Opinion"

Thank You