Thread: Server Error

Default Server Error

I have installed the free version and connected the database correctly. But on every few pages I get.

Server Error

We apologize, but our web site is currently experiencing technical difficulties and the web page you are trying to access is unavailable. Please try again later. Additionally, and email has been sent to the site administrator with details about this error.

I don't understand what is going on with this can someone please explain?

I have gone into each of the files through the Cpanel and set them to the correct file permissions as well as FTP. I have tried this several times but I still get this problem. Trying it different ways and such. Still get this issue.

I have looked at it some more and it only seems to be doing this in the admin panel. I have the files set to 644 and directories to 755 so i don't know what could be wrong. The config file is set to 777. If i try to go to index.php in the admin folder it doesn't work. Only the index.html folder works.
    Last edited by ranger6451; 09-24-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Updates

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: Server Error

The exact cause of all server errors is logged in the APACHE server error logs.

CHMOD 777 may not be correct permissions for your particular hosting account, best to ask your host what to use for read/write permissions. If they are running PHP as suexec, then CHMOD 777 is not going to work.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

do you know what setting might work if it is being run like that?

That's determined by your host.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

It could be worse. I get that same error on every page! My file permissions on the problematic v3.0.8 two throwaway domains with problems are 755. The perfectly functioning v2.5.8 on my main domain (same hosting account with Bluehost) is 755 also. Will change to 777 and post back if that helps.

CHMOD 777 is seldom correct these days, with most hosts running PHP suexec for security reasons. In such cases 755 is more applicable.

-George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

Thank you the_sandking for a quick reply. I immediately called Bluehost who host all of my domains on the same hosting account after reading this and they don't run PHP suexec (whatever that is) but they are running something like it and PHP v5 something. I was able to reinstall 2.5.8 on one of the the throwaways using simple scripts so I'm sure I can put 2.5.8 on the other one. I am still getting the server error though after attempting the 3.0.8 upgrade so I'm scared to mess with my main domain. I looked at the working 2.5.8 installation's chmod and here are the permissions which should work for all three domain installations being they are all on the same account: include/common.php 755 include/common.dist.php 755 images/listing_photos 755 images/page_uploads 755 images/user_photos 755 images/vtour_photos 755 files/listings 755 files/user 755. My host concurs with you that 777 is a bad idea for security. Any other ideas?

Server errors are logged, with the exact cause being listed in the server error logs.

If they are not running PHP as suexec, then they are running APACHE as the "nobody" user, which means that any files/folders that need to be READ/WRITE will need to be set CHMOD 777, under suexex this is almost always CHMOD 755.

Have your host get involved, have them look at their logs for the exact time the install is failing.

-George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -