Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation No Go

Default Installation No Go

Hi there, not having much luck with installation:

http://deepwater3d.com/pfr/open-realty/

So far I have installed ionCube whatever that is and have switched my GoDaddy Hosting from Windows to Linux.

Now I'm stuck with the above issues Apparently its something to do with writing to PHP files in a place Godaddy doesnt allow so I have to re-route the code so it goes to a temp place that does work. Err.. Sound right?

Thanks for any help
    AaronC

EDIT obviously th red line is self explanatory but its probably best I address every issue rather than try and skip over any.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: Installation No Go

I've never seen PHP try to write its session data to a file named Temp.php instead of a directory. PHP ordinarily wants to write session data to /temp/ or /tmp/ in the physical server's root, but given who you host with, no surprises really.

Your primary problem is who you host with. They are clueless and the absolute worst host you could actually spend money with. They need to get your site's PHP 'session.save_path' setup and working properly for you. The fact PHP sessions are not already setup to work, is laughable. You would probably be able to move to a real host and have everything working there for a week before you could get them to understand that your PHP server has a configuration problem.

At most good hosts OR works out of the box.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Hmm ok so they say:

Thank you for your response. Currently the hosting account is working properly and if you continue to experience issues with installing an application we will need you to reply with the server requirements of your application. Please note that /home/content/38/6539238/html is the absolute path for your hosting and the error

"Warning: Unknown: open(D:\TEMP\PHP/sess_c8ivba0um3viheqcc9p6kuj696, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0"

is occurring at an unknown path D:\TEMP\PHP/sess_c8ivba0um3viheqcc9p6kuj696 which is not part of your hosting account. You would want to ensure that your application uses the absolute path for your hosting to have the application write to the correct location and if you have additional concerns please reply so we can further assist you.

Is there any page or anything I can edit to make this work? Chances are I'm not the only GoDaddy customer whos ever tried to get OR working so maybe its beneficial for the company also when I figure this out.

Cheers
    AaronC

You have botched windows or localhost install information saved.

D:\ does not exist on a linux hosting enviornment.

Again.. Your host. Get a better one.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

I uploaded a fresh folder to a different directory, no change.

I feel like the "get a better host" Thing is a bit of a cop out. My website runs fine, I've had zen-cart running ok too. But once I try Open Realty, I need to Get IonCube things installed and switch from windows to Linux- maybe its not actually a godaddy problem- or are you implying I should get hosting from transparent technologies? Like a sales pitch lol.

I have hosting, it works fine but Open Realty doesnt work. Can someone please advise how to fix Open Realty so it writes to a place its supposed to? Thanks

I am stating that people report ongoing problems here with your specific host trying to use Open-Realty, and whenever people who use them (like you) attempt to get support, the so-called "support" is laughable or non-existant. You don't have to host with Transparent Tech, there are lots of very capable hosts out there, yours is just not one of them. Try google-ing "godaddy support sucks".

You cannot fix OR as the problem is not with OR, it is with your hosting account's PHP setup. OR asks PHP where to store session data. If PHP is not configured for sessions, or is setup incorrectly, OR is not going to work.

Your host should know about PHP sessions and how to make sure they are working for you, that's the point I am making. But hey, it's much easier to blame OR, and accuse someone who has been using OR and helping people here for almost a decade of copping-out.

-George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

OK so just to clarify, this is what GoDaddy require in order to know WTF is going on:

Generally we recommend managing sessions in a database. If this is not possible with your application we will need steps to replicate the error message you are receiving to review. You may wish to also submit a list of server requirements so we can advise if the application will be supported in our shared hosting environment. We do restrict certain permissions and settings in order to maintain security and stability on our shared hosting servers and in some cases this may cause a 3rd party application to not be supported in our shared hosting servers.

How do I respond?

Is it possible to store sessions in a database?
    Will OR work in a shared hosting environment?

Please bear in mind I was hoping Open realty would work out-of-the-box, and dont know a lot about web development.

Thanks

AaronC

Curious how long it took to receive an answer from them.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronC View Post
    Is it possible to store sessions in a database?
    No, like so many other PHP applications, OR stores session data in the physical location defined by PHP, this is usually in /tmp but that depends entirely on how the host has things setup.

Will OR work in a shared hosting environment?
    Most definitely, just not at your host. To be able to cram all of those hosting accounts on their (overshared) servers while paying their support staff minimum wage means they have to cut corners. Cutting corners means not enabling common hosting features under the guise of "security and stability".

Please bear in mind I was hoping Open realty would work out-of-the-box
    It does, and has for many years at reputable hosting companies all over the planet.

OR is simply not going to work with the hosting you are using now. That means if you want to use it, you will need to start paying a real hosting company more than $2/mo for your hosting. If that's a deal-breaker for you today, bear in mind it is very likely it won't be too long before they screw something up or take forever to support you, forcing you to move someplace else anyway.

-George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

I have OR working just fine on godaddy shared servers. The culpurt here sounds like the switch from windows environment to linux. If you choose to stay with godaddy try purchasing a linux plan out of the gate. The ioncube loader works just fine and there will be one line of code for the zend extention you will need to copy to the php5.ini file.

I've tried three hosts now with no success. Which hosting services are compliant?
    AC