Thread: general integration basics and fundamentals

Question general integration basics and fundamentals

Hi,

I need to integrate OR with several other apps such as SugarCRM and a couple of other ones (none of which is a CMS).

My basic idea is that OR is the main thing that runs our real estate business and the main point of contact for our clients. But we also need things like a CRM and an ERP like open-erp.com to run the business. So I would like OR to be the master database of clients and prospects and SugarCRM and Open-ERP and anything else we use relies on customer/prospect data and logins that are on OR.

So the question is, what are the basics/fundamentals when it comes to integrating OR (as the master) with other apps? I have read all the posts here about integrating it with CRMs and while good, they do not answer my question. For example, what is the best way to integrate any other app with OR whereby OR is master? Do we use add-ons and hooks and in what way, basically? And what about the database and single-sign on?

Any experts on this here?

Thanks,

David

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: general integration basics and fundamentals

What you are asking is not easily answerable at a fundamental level. What level of experience do you have working and developing code with PHP & mySQL?

I's suggest looking at the add-on, hooks and API systems all of which are in the documentation:

http://www.open-realty.org/docs/release/latest/

You are also going to have to have a really good grasp how Sugar and Open-ERP work, and how to use their API and/or other interface systems (if available).

Example:
    You could use the OR hook after_user_login($userID) for instance to execute code or access a different application's API after a user logs into OR.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Please SK correct me if I am wrong...

Considering what O-R is today, with encrypted core files, there are only 2 persons really able to do this kind of integration: you and Ryan. Not an easy task even for you.
    So the OP should be warned that any other person cannot guarantee the success of such task.
    In other words, there are only 2 experts.

In the other hand, I would not say the same for O-R v.2.x - I would say it would be an adventure.
    Still a very difficult task but there are more people that could at least try.
    I am not saying that I am a candidate... I am not interested in such adventure.

Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by ebmarques View Post
    Please SK correct me if I am wrong...

Considering what O-R is today, with encrypted core files, there are only 2 persons really able to do this kind of integration: you and Ryan.
    Yup, you are wrong . I've written several complicated add-ons since OR v3 was released and I have not needed to see one line of closed OR source code to do it. The developer's docs reveal what functions are available and how to use them.

The add-on, hooks, and API system can be used for doing just about anything, and you can perform secure remote API calls from other web sites or applications by copying the api.inc.php file to the remote site or application. The ability to do API calls is HUGE from a development perspective, and eliminates the necessity of hacking source code to create connectivity with other applications.

API Developer PHPDocs.

When the API system is fully finished, you will be able to make OR pretty much do anything it does locally from within your own code or application, even if it is on a different server. The next update has some very cool API function additions, Ryan is working to get more API functions in with every update.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Good to know! Thanks!

Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

Cool Re: general integration basics and fundamentals

This is a VERY encouraging reply and hats off to you guys for the fine work you are doing with OR. I am going to complete buying all the addons and the main license once I finish setting up here. This application is GOLD!

By the way, sandking, if you can, please recommend somebody I could hire who is willing and able to create several addins for me. I am now compiling a list of the addins I need and what I need them to do.

Thanks!

David