Thread: Legal Questions

Default Legal Questions

Running a property listing website with open realty sounds like a fun and intereseting thing to do. However, I've got a few beginner questions about running a property listing website with open realty.

The first question, is are there any legal issues if you list properties for sale without charging, but you make money with Adsense ads?

The second question I have is where to you find realtors or property owners who are willing to let you list their properties for sale?

Third question, what other questions should I be asking?

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: Legal Questions

Quote Originally Posted by open-realty-fan View Post

The first question, is are there any legal issues if you list properties for sale without charging, but you make money with Adsense ads?
    That depends on the Real Estate laws in your area/state/country and where you get the listings from. If you just start entering (MLS) listings you find in the newspaper or etc, you are gonna get sued.

Quote Originally Posted by open-realty-fan View Post
    The second question I have is where to you find realtors or property owners who are willing to let you list their properties for sale? And, when you list there properties for sale do you have to make sure they give you images and property descriptions that they own?
    I'd use the telephone book and start calling Real Estate companies.

Be prepared for possible resistance, in the U.S. the Real Estate industry for the most part is operated like a cartel, and if you are not a member of the gang and paying your dues/fees, you usually won't get to play the game. The NAR is one of this country's biggest lobbyists after all.

TBH, legal questions are best left to an actual lawyer.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Thanks so much for that reply. I'd love to hear more replies to this topic as well.

I do feel a little scared and intimidated by the "cartel" and really don't want to be sued. I'm sure they want as little competition as possible... However, I'd love to know if there is a way to do this without breaking any laws or upsetting anyone in anyway.

So, how about running an international property listing website where you accept listings from anyone in the world. Is this complicated and best not to even try if you're a small one man operation?

i dont think they will have any kind of problem related to your first question .
    and for second attempt consult those local property sellers which dont have a site , it will give you more benefit .

MODERATED - Violates forum linking rules.