Thread: Issue installing custom add-on based on FRAMEWORK add-on example

Default Issue installing custom add-on based on FRAMEWORK add-on example

I successfully installed the example add-on "Framework", provided in the add-on documentation. I am currently learning how this all works with OR and I recently made a copy of the framework add-on folder and renamed it to something else.

In this new copy of the add-on, I went into the code and replaced "framework" with a new add-on name.

After this is all set, I check to make sure everything has been set to the new add-on name.

I return to the add-on manager, locate my new add-on, and hit install.

"INSTALL FAILED".

The code for this "new" add-on is EXACTLY the same as the framework example add-on and the only difference is just the name of the add-on where "framework" was replaced. (This includes the add-on function names...etc)

Any suggestions on this matter? I would greatly appreciate the help.

Default Re: Issue installing custom add-on based on FRAMEWORK add-on example

Hi,

I started to reproduce what you said and found out the Framework add-on was not compatible with Open-Realty v.3.x
    So I have just updated the Framework add-on to version 2.2 and tested with Open-Realty v.3.0.12 (the required fix is the one posted at http://support.open-realty.org/showthread.php?25095).

With the new version I have reproduced what you said and all went just fine.
    Without seeing your custom add-on and without knowing exactly how you installed the add-on, will be hard to give you an answer.

Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

how I installed my new add-on was just by going directly to the addons folder in OR and finding the framework folder and making a copy of it and renaming the copy to "featuredagent" after which, I opened the addon file within "featuredagent" folder and began replacing just the addon name "framework" with "featuredagent"

everything aside just from the name change is still the same.

I will take a look at the link you provided and report back any success.

I have OR 3.0.12, I just want to know if there is a BETTER example than the framework add-on which I thought made sense but is not working for me.
    I have seen the link provided about the deprecated admin code for OR 3.x, it still did not help the problem when I changed those lines in the framework add on that I duplicated.

This time I copied the framework addon folder again and just renamed it "framework8" - and went into the addon.inc file and just simply added the number 8 next to the word "framework" throughout the file.
    I keep the folder within the OR addon folder and select it to be installed through the add-on manager -> it fails so I continue by creating an archive of the folder (zip) -> I try to install as a zip file and it still fails...

I installed your multilingual add-on and it worked, I also install the original framework addon and it worked as well!
    I even updated the framework addon to its latest release and it works - I can't seem to get an addon with the same code but different name to install.

The only thing I'm changing is just the name of the add-on - I created no new functions, I just replaced the name "framework" in the addon.inc document with another word.

Like I said, it is hard to help you without seeing your add-on and knowing how you are doing it.
    But... lets try by something you wrote.
    At your first post you wrote: "I return to the add-on manager, locate my new add-on, and hit install."
    At your previous post you wrote: "I keep the folder within the OR addon folder and select it to be installed through the add-on manager..."

Notice... if you have an add-on folder inside the "addons" folder, that add-on is already installed!
    You shall not use the Add-on Manager - otherwise, you are trying to install something already installed.
    If that is the case, just refresh your admin page you are going to see the add-on listed at the Add-on Manager as installed.

If you are going to use the Add-on Manager to manually install an add-on, you need NOTHING created at the "addons" folder, but just a "ZIP" file that need to be uploaded. The Add-on Manager will unpack the "ZIP" file and will create the add-on folder inside the "addons" folder.

If that did not help... Please, post a link so I can download your add-on. I will look at it and tell you what is wrong.

Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

http://www.viledeth.com/framework12.rar (updated to the latest version of framework 2.2)

The above link has a file that is exactly like the most recent framework add-on I downloaded from the add-on documentation wiki.
    only difference is just me placing the number 12 next to the name.
    I also tried deleting the folder from the add-ons section and installing as a zip outside of the add-on folder.

Thanks for the help

Hi,

That's a link for a "RAR" file, not a "ZIP" file. To manually install an add-on using the Add-on Manager you need a "ZIP" file.
    I have downloaded it, I have unpacked and packed again as a .zip file. Using the .zip file I have successfully installed your add-on.
    I have looked at source code of your "addon.inc.php" file and saw no errors.
    So seems all problems are related to the file type (RAR).

Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs

Thanks - I'll remember to use winzip

Quote Originally Posted by gtirado View Post
    Thanks - I'll remember to use winzip
    I use and recommend 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) - it handle also RAR files.

Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs