Thread: Russian attack

Thumbs down Russian attack

Every day i have 10-20 new users from Russian, i think is a robot and publish here pages, not related with propieties. I block all russian Ip with a htaccess file, but google make my page down in the search index. I clear htacces file, and my page appear again in the google search engine, but again a lot of russian making new users on my page. The problem is that my sign up form dont have a question with numbers or letter to avoid the russian robot work.

Sorry my English is bad.
    My page: www.chilepropiedades.cl

Default Re: Russian attack

what version of Open-Realty do you have? If you have OR 2.5.8 then you can turn on image verification and/or email verification to help combat the spam.
    Open-Realty 2 Documentation

~The Difference Between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE is ATTITUDE~

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    what version of Open-Realty do you have? If you have OR 2.5.8 then you can turn on image verification and/or email verification to help combat the spam.
    Hello, i have 2.4.3, i dont see the option to put a image verification. What can i do?

thanks

Open-Realty 2.x isn't being developed any longer but you can upgrade to 2.5.8 which has the captcha built in for user registration. Otherwise an upgrade to OR3 may be in order which has the captcha as well as other security fixes included as well.

Also, if your site doesn't cater to users from Russia then you could block access through your webserver. How to do that will depend on your hosting options and control panel that your host provides you but a simple host mask could block all users from Russia unless they use a proxy server. Although this will only be useful if you don't want ANYBODY from that area being able to access your site.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Open-Realty 2.x isn't being developed any longer but you can upgrade to 2.5.8 which has the captcha built in for user registration. Otherwise an upgrade to OR3 may be in order which has the captcha as well as other security fixes included as well.

Also, if your site doesn't cater to users from Russia then you could block access through your webserver. How to do that will depend on your hosting options and control panel that your host provides you but a simple host mask could block all users from Russia unless they use a proxy server. Although this will only be useful if you don't want ANYBODY from that area being able to access your site.
    Hello,
    How i can upgrade to 2.5.8 my open-realty version?
    thanks

Hello,
    but when I install these new files, my site will lose everything that is done?

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by stuka87 View Post
    Not if you follow the instructions in the docs: https://docs.google.com/View?id=dhk2...03535061787_56
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Quote Originally Posted by stuka87 View Post
    Hello,
    like Sandking said, follow the instructions. Unless you are referring to core file modifications in which case, yes you will lose any core file modifications that were done which is why we always advised against making core file modifications.

You REALLY should be upgrading to Open-Realty 3.x. Open-Realty 2.5.8 has security issues, and should NOT be used.