Thread: What to do now that ShowResults doesn't work with OR 3

Default What to do now that ShowResults doesn't work with OR 3

Is it possible to use Ajax to pull search page results and display them on a page I created for a subdivision or will I have to look for someone to pay to build a new addon?

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: What to do now that ShowResults doesn't work with OR 3

What's "ShowResults"?
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Same problem. No "showResults" .......

I bet others can describe it's use or give better examples than I can but I thought I would give it a shot.

ShowResults was an free addon developed by a person who no longer supports OR.

It basically allows you to display search results on a page outside of the usual search result page.

For example, you could use it to search all of the listings on your site and only display the listings that are in a particular subdivision and that belong to your company on a page that contains other subdivision specific information about the subdivision that you could not show just by linking to a normal search results url. You can also use a search result template that differs from your regular search result template for your site.

I have used this addon for years as well. Unfortunately it does not work with OR3.
    I hope that sheds some light on what the addon does and maybe triggers some thought as to a work around for this addon.

Thanks

by 'doesn't work' do we mean it just gives nothing or are there errors? If there are errors what are they and they may be able to be fixed
    Open-Realty 2 Documentation

~The Difference Between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE is ATTITUDE~

I don't receive any results and there are no errors displayed to specify what maybe wrong.
    I know there are listings to be displayed and that I have the addon configured correctly because everything functioned properly before the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    by 'doesn't work' do we mean it just gives nothing or are there errors? If there are errors what are they and they may be able to be fixed
    I have tried to update this add-on and make it work with O-R v.3.x - I had some success up to v3.0.8 but after that I could not make it work. Also tried to use the API system. But I gave up.
    The "latest" add-on version basicaly relies on:
    PHP Code:
    $display $search_page->search_results() 
    And this function don't work after O-R v.3.0.8 once there is no way to "pass" field names and values to get a result.

The older version of this add-on... relies at a copy of "search.inc.php" wich by its turn, relies on "core.inc.php" - so, all totally deprecated.

Using the API system, for example, this works:
    PHP Code:
    $result $api->load_local_api('listing__search', array('parameters' => array('city' => 'Washington'))); 
    But it returns the listing IDs and we will need to build new queries to grab and print all others listing fields and values - while search_results() was returning it all.

As far as I can say, this add-on "cannot" and "will not" be released for FREE. In my opinion, it will be a difficult add-on to code and expensive.
    MAYBE... Ryan can give us a hint on how to do it in such way we could keep it for FREE.

Eduardo
    Last edited by ebmarques; 01-30-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: COMPLEMENTED

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

For those of you who need this to work with OR 3, visit this thread:

http://support.open-realty.org/showt...k-on-OR-3.0.12