Thread: RSS Feed not working

Smile RSS Feed not working

Hi

Yesterday I upgraded from ver 3.1.0 to ver 3.1.3 with the automatic update feature.
    Everything went well with no errors.

However I found that my RSS feed is no longer working. Let me explain. When the RSS buttons on the front page is clicked to activate the feed it opens a new window with the feed but the content or listings it was suppose to show is missing. I just have a blank page. (The RSS feed was working fine before the upgrade)

I had a look at the online documentation and it seems that the RSS feed is handled with the rss.html file in the template directory. The settings in my site configuration is standard as I never changed it.

I do run a custom Lazuli template and the rss.html file is in the directory.
    I thought it might be something to do with my custom template so I switched to the standard installed Lazuli template but it did not solve the problem. Still blank RSS feed pages. Thus it has nothing to do with my template.

I discovered that the standard Lazuli template does not have the rss.html file so I copied it from the default directory to the template but again it did not help. I assume the default directory is used to handle that for the templates in the new version. The rss.html file in my custom template directory and the one in the default template directory is the same content wise.

I am stuck at this stage and any suggestions or comments as where to look for errors and how to fix this will be highly appreciated.

Best wishes
    Chris

Default Re: RSS Feed not working

How are you trying to view the RSS feed? Are you using an RSS reader or just trying to view it in your web browser and if so what web browser. Also a link to the RSS feed would help.

Hi Ryan,

The problem is at "{item_link}" tag, from "rss.html" template file:
    <link>{item_link}</link>
    O-R is not escaping "&".

You can test using the W3C validator: http://validator.w3.org/feed/

W3C says (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#dt-chardata):
    "The ampersand character (&) and the left angle bracket (<) must not appear in their literal form, except when used as markup delimiters, or within a comment, a processing instruction, or a CDATA section. If they are needed elsewhere, they must be escaped using either numeric character references or the strings " &amp; " and " &lt; " respectively. The right angle bracket (>) may be represented using the string " &gt; ", and must, for compatibility, be escaped using either " &gt; " or a character reference when it appears in the string " ]]> " in content, when that string is not marking the end of a CDATA section."
    Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

Hi Ryan

Thanks for the help.

I'm trying to view the feed in Firefox 4.0.1. The same version that I used when the feed was working.
    Also I'm trying to just open the feed in this browser as I was doing before.

The feeds I'm trying to open and use is:
    http://www.homes2rent.co.za/index.ph...eed=blog_posts
    http://www.homes2rent.co.za/index.ph...d=lastmodified

Hi Eduardo

Thanks for the help as well.

How do I fix this problem?
    What must the code be?

Many thanks
    Chris