Thread: How do I amend the index.php file?

Default How do I amend the index.php file?

OR v3.1.3 Having finished setting up my website and realizing that I had almost certainly made errors along the way, I used W3C validation to check my pages out. My index.php had more than 70 errors but I couldn’t see how to amend it. The validator showed me the source and has a tidy up which shows me how it should be, which is great, but it is in html not php format.
    I asked my web hosts if they could help and they didn’t know either but they suggested I make an index.html file and upload that. So I copied the tidied up file from W3C and pasted it into my new html file and now have an error free index.html file in addition to an index.php file which now has only 20 errors.
    I’ve checked all my pages individually and most have no errors, a few have one error, as does the main.html file for my template. This being the case I don’t understand why index.php still has 20.
    All my pages are html, it is only the index which is php.
    Everything actually works fine because when anyone goes to the site the search engine looks for the html file first but it is irritating that I have to have two index files (and the fact that every time I make a change to my homepage I have to manually update the index.html file). Apart from that although the site (www.altinkumpropertyforsale.com) is basically set up I want to continue to add to it and don’t want to compound errors.

Any ideas please on how to actually edit the index.php file? Thanks

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: How do I amend the index.php file?

If you have validation errors they are in your template files and not index.php. index.php does not contain any HTML and is ionCube encoded.

According to the W3C validation service, your site validates

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...forsale.com%2F
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Thank you sandking. I know my site validates but that is because W3C looks for the index.html file before it looks for index.php, and as I explained I have both files, the .html is free of errors but index.php returns 20:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...alidator%2F1.2

As I said, I have validated the main.html file for my template, it returns just 1 error which I am unable to correct as it appears to be within the powered by tag.
    I understand what you are saying about the index.php being ioncube generated, but it has a source which W3C can find so surely I should be able to as well? If I could get to the source I could edit it.
    What I have done instead is edited a copy of the source and used this to create an error free index.html file.
    What I want is to have just one file, i.e. an error free index.php. If I can do it in html why can’t I do the same in php?

I managed to resolve this and in case anyone should come across the same problem I thought I would explain how.
    The problems were not with my template files, they occurred in the OR page editor. Unless I’ve got this wrong, the index.php file is simply a combination of the template main.html and whatever is entered on the home page in page editor.
    When I compared the source on home page in page editor to the tidied-up file provided by W3C I was able to pinpoint the errors and correct them just by copy and pasting from one to the other.
    So now have an error free index.php file and have been able to delete the index.html.