Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: PayPal® Signup Add-on.. Open Realty

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default PayPal® Signup Add-on.. Open Realty

    We want to use the "PayPal® Signup Add-on".. which is
    currently at 3.0.0 compatible..
    Thus it is not compatible with 3.1.5..

    Is there a compatible alternative to this add-on.

    thanx in advance..

    j

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sao Paulo, BRAZIL
    Posts
    3,763

    Default Re: PayPal® Signup Add-on.. Open Realty

    Quote Originally Posted by torjohn View Post
    Is there a compatible alternative to this add-on.
    No, there isn't.
    You should contact the add-on author and ask him if he is planning to release a compatible new version.

    Eduardo

    Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: PayPal® Signup Add-on.. Open Realty

    Eduardo;
    Thanks for the reply..

    Honestly, I don't believe I should be the one asking your supplier anything.
    It appears OR has sanctioned the addon, wouldn't it be OR that would contact, and ask for updates.

    Do you know the last version that addon worked for.. we haven't done the most recent upgrade to ( 3.1.5 ) yet.

    And in the meantime..if it's not compatible, or the developer no longer wants to update...
    why not remove it from the addon list.. as a service to visitors to the OR site.

    having said all that, can you make available,( as a work-around ) a compatible script for those that
    want to use that addon.. I guess what I'm asking is, can you supply me with 3.0.0 OR version..??

    thanks again for your timely reply..

    j

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    1,654

    Default Re: PayPal® Signup Add-on.. Open Realty

    Hi J

    Here is the a link to the paypal addon for ver3.0
    http://www.southtexasweb.com/addons/

    the link on the addon site http://addons.open-realty.org/add-on-24.html
    does have the words "Compatible with Open-Realty® v.3.0.0" and "Also available for OR 3"

    You should contact Ken he's a great guy I am sure he will answer all you questions

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sao Paulo, BRAZIL
    Posts
    3,763

    Default Re: PayPal® Signup Add-on.. Open Realty

    Quote Originally Posted by torjohn View Post
    wouldn't it be OR that would contact, and ask for updates.
    No, that will not happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by torjohn View Post
    why not remove it from the addon list.. as a service to visitors to the OR site.
    Because the add-on IS compatible with v.3.0.0 - declared by the add-on author.

    Quote Originally Posted by torjohn View Post
    having said all that, can you make available,( as a work-around ) a compatible script for those that want to use that addon.. I guess what I'm asking is, can you supply me with 3.0.0 OR version..??
    No, I am not planning to do that.

    Eduardo

    Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: PayPal® Signup Add-on.. Open Realty

    This is indeed a complex problem.

    I too purchased the PayPal add-on from Ken; and he is a good guy, but because of all the Open Realty updates, the PayPal add-on is not compatible with Open Realty 3.1.0+

    I purchased the PayPal add-on and it works with OR 3.0.0 - 3.0.12 = However; if an agent pays for listing the way the add listing template looks like is the same as OR 2;

    It won't work for OR 3.1.0+ due to the database changes and such;

    At the moment; I believe theres no solid , real, PayPal, or any, automated pay for system in open realty 3.1.0+ where a person who pays for listing or featured listing or whatever still has the same look for the back-end (i dont even think theres any pay for solution for OR 3.1.0)

    I've repeatly contacted Ken about this and I do NOT blame him for his response; which is generally, because OR is encrypted and all the database changes to OR 3.1.0+ it wont work)

    So I dunno; Alot of people are stuck in limbo;

    I HOPE I AM WRONG IN ANY OF THE ABOVE cause if wrong that means there is a solution(s) !!!!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sao Paulo, BRAZIL
    Posts
    3,763

    Default Re: PayPal® Signup Add-on.. Open Realty

    Hi,

    Welcome to Open-Realty Forums!
    What a first post, huh?

    "I HOPE I AM WRONG IN ANY OF THE ABOVE cause if wrong that means there is a solution(s) !!!!!!"
    Yes you are wrong and there is a solution - and an easy one: a developer need to write a compatible add-on. As simple as that!

    "This is indeed a complex problem."
    Not at all.

    "...because of all the Open Realty updates, the PayPal add-on is not compatible..."
    The opposite!!! The add-on is not compatible because is not updated. There is no fault from Open-Realty.

    "However; if an agent pays for listing the way the add listing template looks like is the same as OR 2"
    You are wrong. Version 3.0.12 looks exactly the same as version 3.1.5

    "It won't work for OR 3.1.0+ due to the database changes and such"
    No... it will not work just because THE ADD-ON was not updated.

    "At the moment; I believe theres no solid , real, PayPal, or any, automated pay for system in open realty 3.1.0+"
    True. So? Are you going to post at the Work Forum Area and hire someone to code this add-on for you?

    "...which is generally, because OR is encrypted..."
    No!!! This is biggest mistake!!! The encrypted code is not a problem at all!!! At least not for one that knows how to write PHP code. I am not saying Ken is not able.

    ...for example: My Multilingual Add-on - it is not compatible with the latest O-R version.
    The reason? Not Open-Realty fault but my fault. I should be able to update the add-on and that's MY problem. The difference... my add-on is a free one, I don't have free time to work on it and no one is going to pay me 2 or 3 months of work to update the add-on.
    Go to the Work Forum Area and offer US$15,000 for a PayPal add-on. I bet with you there will be a lot of coders doing it, compatible with the O-R latest version!

    Clear?

    Eduardo

    Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

  8. #8
    the_sandking's Avatar
    the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Nullspace
    Posts
    5,289

    Default Re: PayPal® Signup Add-on.. Open Realty

    There has been one update in OR v3 (v3.1 specifically) that affected add-ons that work directly against the listing tables in OR, but that was only if the add-on did not use the API. If the API was not used, a very simple change needs to be made to any code that references the old classlistingsdb table to use the listingdb table instead. So I'm not sure what the "all these updates" comment is referring to.

    That change was announced here: http://www.open-realty.org/blog/open...1-release.html

    The listing template form you are seeing looks like OR v2.x because the source code it uses was copied directly out of OR v2's core files.

    That payment add-on (like several other add-ons) incorrectly depends on being able to "borrow" code from OR's core files instead of correctly using the API and hooks systems and their own code. Since these add-ons are still trying to use modified source code borrowed from OR v2.x for use with OR v3 without actually understanding the differences, it's no wonder they do not work. As Eduardo mentioned, his particular add-on no longer works simply because he has not had time to update it yet. He's not getting paid to do it, so obviously no rush to do it either, and you can fix it yourself if you are a developer.

    The recent DB table changes to OR v3.1 were fairly trivial to accommodate, but you definitely must understand mySQL DB table relationships in OR (and the code you are using) to make those necessary adjustments. Cut and paste programmers who are accustomed to making OR add-ons by just copying working code out of OR they don't understand and pasting it into their own commercial add-on will struggle with updates, because they lack the actual experience needed to use the API correctly, they are lazy, or they simply are not keeping up with the changes posted in the change logs for new versions so they can update any borrowed code.

    If the author is not willing to make these very simple changes for you in their add-on or maintain it for current versions of OR, you might ask him if you are free to pay to have someone else make the needed changes for you to make it function again. It may simply be he does not sell enough of these add-ons to want to bother, I seem to remember he was mostly retired and coding is a hobby.

    To add-on developers: If you use the OR API, upgrades to OR should not affect your add-ons.

    To "developers" who say they cannot make updates to their add-ons because OR is encrypted: You are not real developers, learn to write your own code instead of depending on being able to copy (steal) it out of the host application. Transparent Tech answers any specific questions from add-on developers when asked about OR's API, but you do have to have specific questions about your code, and not just expect them to write code for you, or to teach you how a documented API works.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

    "We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519


    "When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

    New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

    Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: PayPal® Signup Add-on.. Open Realty

    Quote Originally Posted by ebmarques View Post
    Hi,

    Welcome to Open-Realty Forums!
    What a first post, huh?




    Apologies, SDPgreg = DLSgreg lol


    "I HOPE I AM WRONG IN ANY OF THE ABOVE cause if wrong that means there is a solution(s) !!!!!!"
    Yes you are wrong and there is a solution - and an easy one: a developer need to write a compatible add-on. As simple as that!


    The problem I was referring to was the PayPal Add-On in existence;


    "This is indeed a complex problem."
    Not at all.

    :(

    "...because of all the Open Realty updates, the PayPal add-on is not compatible..."
    The opposite!!! The add-on is not compatible because is not updated. There is no fault from Open-Realty.

    I never said or meant anyone is at fault; I'm trying to provide a dialogue for a way for there to be a Pay-Pal Add-on for users; The way the dialogue is going; Maybe transparent-tech should make one, like they do the transparent maps?

    "However; if an agent pays for listing the way the add listing template looks like is the same as OR 2"
    You are wrong. Version 3.0.12 looks exactly the same as version 3.1.5

    Using the PayPal add-on, it makes add listings (from the back-end) from v3+ style to v2 style...

    "It won't work for OR 3.1.0+ due to the database changes and such"
    No... it will not work just because THE ADD-ON was not updated.

    "At the moment; I believe theres no solid , real, PayPal, or any, automated pay for system in open realty 3.1.0+"
    True. So? Are you going to post at the Work Forum Area and hire someone to code this add-on for you?

    Work Forum? I'll just e-mail you

    "...which is generally, because OR is encrypted..."
    No!!! This is biggest mistake!!! The encrypted code is not a problem at all!!! At least not for one that knows how to write PHP code. I am not saying Ken is not able.
    Working with the encrypted stuff is harder than non encrypted; But yea I need me a book; Anyone know the best php book within with conventions and such used throughout OR?


    ...for example: My Multilingual Add-on - it is not compatible with the latest O-R version.
    The reason? Not Open-Realty fault but my fault. I should be able to update the add-on and that's MY problem. The difference... my add-on is a free one, I don't have free time to work on it and no one is going to pay me 2 or 3 months of work to update the add-on.
    Go to the Work Forum Area and offer US$15,000 for a PayPal add-on. I bet with you there will be a lot of coders doing it, compatible with the O-R latest version!

    <--- Goes to bathroom to change soiled pants

    Clear?

    :-(

    Eduardo

    Should of not used DLSgreg and instead SDPgreg lol
    Discount Land For Sale.com - List Your Land For Free

    This is my open-realty site, input is always greatly appreciated!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: PayPal® Signup Add-on.. Open Realty


    Should of not used DLSgreg and instead SDPgreg lol


    Quote Originally Posted by the_sandking View Post
    There has been one update in OR v3 (v3.1 specifically) that affected add-ons that work directly against the listing tables in OR, but that was only if the add-on did not use the API. If the API was not used, a very simple change needs to be made to any code that references the old classlistingsdb table to use the listingdb table instead. So I'm not sure what the "all these updates" comment is referring to.


    May I (a paying professional license person); Ask for an example of the code change ?


    That change was announced here: http://www.open-realty.org/blog/open...1-release.html

    The listing template form you are seeing looks like OR v2.x because the source code it uses was copied directly out of OR v2's core files.


    Yea, it looked like that. Again, I bought the PayPal-Addon (didn't make it or anything)


    That payment add-on (like several other add-ons) incorrectly depends on being able to "borrow" code from OR's core files instead of correctly using the API and hooks systems and their own code. Since these add-ons are still trying to use modified source code borrowed from OR v2.x for use with OR v3 without actually understanding the differences, it's no wonder they do not work. As Eduardo mentioned, his particular add-on no longer works simply because he has not had time to update it yet. He's not getting paid to do it, so obviously no rush to do it either, and you can fix it yourself if you are a developer.

    My position at the place I work at doesn't include spending lots of time making stuff that exists already; I'm already stretched real thin with all my tasks and would rather pay a pro to make an add-on instead of trying myself;



    The recent DB table changes to OR v3.1 were fairly trivial to accommodate, but you definitely must understand mySQL DB table relationships in OR (and the code you are using) to make those necessary adjustments. Cut and paste programmers who are accustomed to making OR add-ons by just copying working code out of OR they don't understand and pasting it into their own commercial add-on will struggle with updates, because they lack the actual experience needed to use the API correctly, they are lazy, or they simply are not keeping up with the changes posted in the change logs for new versions so they can update any borrowed code.

    My superiors at where I work would frown on me spending the time to do the above, just to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 ; because from there POV they won't see any changes to the front-end; It's complicated but if I use the above route I'll end up spending my own time doing these things


    If the author is not willing to make these very simple changes for you in their add-on or maintain it for current versions of OR, you might ask him if you are free to pay to have someone else make the needed changes for you to make it function again. It may simply be he does not sell enough of these add-ons to want to bother, I seem to remember he was mostly retired and coding is a hobby.


    Thats a good idea; I will do that;


    To add-on developers: If you use the OR API, upgrades to OR should not affect your add-ons.

    To "developers" who say they cannot make updates to their add-ons because OR is encrypted: You are not real developers, learn to write your own code instead of depending on being able to copy (steal) it out of the host application. Transparent Tech answers any specific questions from add-on developers when asked about OR's API, but you do have to have specific questions about your code, and not just expect them to write code for you, or to teach you how a documented API works.
    Discount Land For Sale.com - List Your Land For Free

    This is my open-realty site, input is always greatly appreciated!

Similar Threads

  1. How to build an Open-Realty 2.x Style Slideshow in Open-Realty 3.x
    By greengiant in forum Templates - Help/Ideas/Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 10:11 AM
  2. Addon for paid signup without using Paypal
    By svm253 in forum Addon help, ideas and discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 12:50 PM
  3. Upgrading Open-Realty 2.x Templates For Open-Realty 3.x
    By greengiant in forum Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 03:16 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2010, 04:19 PM
  5. Open-Realty 1.1.5b to Open-Realty 2.0 Upgrade Notes.
    By greengiant in forum HELP (CLOSED)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 11:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •