Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XML output feed for v3

Default XML output feed for v3

I know that an xml feed output facility for ORv3 is planned for the future, but I don’t know what the timescale for this is and really I want something now. I have manually written feeds before but it is very time consuming to set up and then maintain for all the different portals.
    I searched for software to do the job but could not see anything specifically designed for this purpose,
    I’ve also looked at web extraction software but can’t find anything either that I can understand how to use or if I can fathom it out, is customizable to the extent I want it to be.
    Although I am a complete novice at php I’ve also looked for scripts to do the job, thinking that if I could find something I could learn how to adapt it, but have been unsuccessful in finding anything close enough (to what I want) to use a base.
    As more and more portals are accepting feeds, and as there were options found for earlier OR versions, I don’t understand how there can be nothing (that I have found) for the current version.
    I know there are commercial answers available but the fact that I have manually made feeds before will tell you that I don’t have the resources for those options.
    So I am wondering if anyone has yet found a free workable solution?

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: XML output feed for v3

Quote Originally Posted by ozsubasi View Post
    I know that an xml feed output facility for ORv3 is planned for the future,
    Really? Where did you read or hear this?

What DTD should be adopted that would work for everyone? That's kind of a big problem if it's to become a feature of OR I would think.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

I thought I had seen that xml feeds were planned, but I can’t find it now so if I was mistaken then I stand corrected.

Perhaps not everyone needs or wants to take advantage of all the free to list portals out there but I certainly do, I currently use 35 of them and would use more if I could. But time doesn’t permit for me to manually upload and maintain my listings to any more than I already do.
    Xml output feeds have been around for some time and if there are no plans to integrate them into OR then I find it very disappointing.

There have been posts on this forum over the last few years on the same subject, and there were solutions for previous versions of OR, and that was the main point of my posting.

My present feeds actually get a warning on W3C validation for doctype but they still pass and it has not been an issue with any of the 15 portals I supply it to.
    Every portal has their own requirements but that isn’t anything new and it was overcome in the previous solutions.
    For my manual feeds it requires a template for each portal but they only need to be made once and in most cases it is only changes to the field names that is required and sometimes the coding.

But it is as I said very time consuming and my question was whether anyone had found a free workable solution for v3?

I am also a portal user, and do the job manually at the moment. I would be happy to share any information that I can on this.
    This would be something that if we could get a group of portal user together we maybe able to get an addon written. I did write one for house-ladder which work but not great. but this was just one other site.
    I have posted on the subject a couple of time this one being the last.
    http://support.open-realty.org/showt...lmanager.co.uk
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.yellx.co.uk - check it out and tell me what you think

"XML Feed" does not mean anything in and of itself. It's like stating you need a "doctor" when you specifically need an Oncologist because you have cancer. If I then present to you a Podiatrist, that is going to satisfy your requirement of "doctor" but that's not what you actually needed.

Details are everything. 35 different "portals" are not likely using the same XML DTD or have the same requirements. This is why you won't likely see this as a core feature of OR. An add-on would definitely be the way to do this, and I do believe others have already built them.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

Add-on are probably the way to go. I can understand the there are many XML feeds for a hole list of portals. but I have not seen any post of other add-ons doing it for any of the portals. If you know of any please do post then !!!
    As I say I did write one for house-ladder is not a portal site but works the same way but my PHP is not the best so was limited.. happy to post it as a starting point and give a hand any way I can.
    (would be good for my PHP and I would like to give back something to OR....

Whether the term “xml feed” actually means anything or not it is how feeds are generally referred to by the portals. Although some are very rigid in their requirements I have found most to be flexible and if they can take a feed they will. Some really went out of their way to help me.
    Perhaps others’ personal experience is different to mine but I can only speak as I have found and for me the medical analogy has not applied. Some I supply have a mapping system so that they can accept a variety of different field names so even that is not always a crucial detail.
    Whether it is a core feature of OR or an addon, I wouldn’t really care which as long as the feature were available. Addons have been available for earlier versions of OR but as said, not for v3.
    I think that I am on the same wavelength as mh5bl in that I am looking for a starting point that could be built on, and although my knowledge is limited I would be happy to contribute my time in trying to help develop something.

No doubt all these services use an input/output feed that is formatted in XML, that's not at question here.

The point is, unless you know the DTD for the specific XML "feed", just saying you need an "XML output feed" is meaningless to someone trying to build something for you. There won't be a (cheap) one-size-fits-all solution to do this with any feed because "XML feed" is ambiguous, XML can contain anything and because the DTD is not going to be identical for all of these "feeds" you want to work with.

A solution that worked, that would output selected listing data from OR into any XML input feed that could also be configurable for each feed by a typical OR user would have to be sophisticated. The add-ons I have heard of require editing of files and require a certain amount of programming knowledge. I don't claim to be an expert on what others may have built for doing this in the past, but I am a developer, and I work with importing and exporting listing data into and from various formats and platforms almost every day.

Perhaps you could try obtaining one of the old add-ons you referred to that were for OR v2 and have it updated to work with OR v3? That would eliminate a lot of the foundation and conceptual work of building something from scratch.

-George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

I'm not sure what a typical OR user is, but judging by the number and nature of questions posted here many of them are possibly like me, an estate agent with a limited knowledge of IT who is willing to try to learn. When I first looked at xml feeds it seemed a very complicated matter, but with guidance I found that it wasn't so difficult after all, just time consuming.
    I don't know how big an issue DTD is in general, my experience is only in supplying data to real estate portals and I can only say it hasn't really been an issue for me or them.
    Using a v2 addon as a base would be the logical thing to do, but I think it would be necessary to know what the fundamental difference is, i.e. is v3 a totally different product from v2? In other words why doesn't a v2 feed addon work for v3?
    I guess that may be too big a question but I don't really know where else to start.

Right. let use start with the need for three things.

1).... A list or the portals we wish to have feeds to (maybe we start small here, 3 or 4)
    2).... The XML syntax for there 3 or 4 feeds. (this could be easy to request from the portal provider.
    3).... a copies of a v2 add-on for doing feed. I did write one for house-ladder. but another one would be great. Or 2 or 3 LOL

with these three things we can at least make some sort of start on it. or see how hard it is going to be.

what do you thing?

Added thought ( question )
    do portal except RSS feed ????
    Last edited by mh5bl; 07-20-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added thought