Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEO Friendly Links Don't Work - No .htaccess-or file included with download.

Default SEO Friendly Links Don't Work - No .htaccess-or file included with download.

I just downloaded and installed version 3.1.6 of Open Realty. I'd like to enable SEO friendly URLs, but the 3.1.6 download didn't come with the .htaccess-or file that I'm supposed to rename. There is a regular .htaccess file that came with the download, but that was it. Does anyone know where I might obtain a copy of this .htaccess-or file?

Thanks for any help.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: SEO Friendly Links Don't Work - No .htaccess-or file included with download.

OR v3 does not include a .htaccess-or file. It includes a straight .htaccess file for you to use, nothing to rename.

Your host still has to support APACHE's mod_rewrite though.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Default Re: SEO Friendly Links Don't Work - No .htaccess-or file included with download.

Ok, that's kind of what I was wondering. In this case, do I need to do anything to edit the .htaccess file in order to get SEO Friendly links working? Every time I enable SEO Friendly links I get a 500 Page Not Found error navigating anywhere on my site. I have mod_rewrite enabled, so I'm not sure where else I should be looking.

Check your server error logs. You may think you have mod_rewrite enabled, but what you are seeing usually means you don't.

I am assuming you enabled SEO links in site config.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

Quote Originally Posted by the_sandking View Post
    I am assuming you enabled SEO links in site config.
    You're referring to setting Site Config -> Seo -> URL Type to "Search Engine Friendly", correct? If so, then yes I have enabled that.

I am in the process of figuring out how to access my GoDaddy error logs now.

Quote Originally Posted by AiM View Post
    GoDaddy
    Houston, we have a likely problem. Good luck with that "host".

-George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

Ah, here's the error:

"Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace."

Do you have any thoughts on this error? I'll continue digging as well...

Here's the contents of my .htaccess file. Does this look correct?

Options +FollowSymLinks
    # SEARCH ENGINE FRIENDLY URLS FOR Open-Realty
    <IfModule mod_php5.c>
    php_value session.use_trans_sid 0
    </IfModule>
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    #Turn on GZIP Compression in Apache
    <IfModule mod_deflate.c>
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml text/css application/x-httpd-php application/javascript application/x-javascript
    </IfModule>
    # SET 1 Month Cache
    <FilesMatch "\.(ico)$">
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
    Header set Cache-Control "max-age=2629744, public"
    </IfModule>
    </FilesMatch>

<FilesMatch "\.(jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js)$">
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
    Header set Cache-Control "max-age=2629744, public"
    </IfModule>
    </FilesMatch>
    #Set Error pages
    ErrorDocument 500 /500.shtml

re: your .htaccess file. Use whatever is provided in the OR .ZIP file.

Otherwise, IMHO you have inadequate, improperly configured hosting.

-George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

I figured this out. The error I was getting, "Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace.", indicates that there's some infinite recursion going on somewhere. This sort of thing can happen when you have multiple .htaccess files rewriting your urls. That's when I realized that since I have a shared GoDaddy hosting account, I may have had another .htaccess file somewhere higher up in my directory structure. Sure enough, I did, and it was also rewriting URLs.

The solution to this problem was to remove the following section of code from the .htaccess file in the OR directory, since this exact code is already being called by the parent .htaccess file:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

You should not remove anything from the OR .htaccess file. But, hey, go for it.

-George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -