Thread: Help..

Default Help..

Hi, a newbbie with Open Realty,

I need to Know what means those terms:

MLS ??
    Import to MLS ??

Thanks

Poor guy, no one's answering your questions. Okay, I'll give it a whack:

MLS = Multiple Listing Service = the virtual monopoly the Association of Realtors has on houses for sale. My understanding is that in some areas, MLS data can be downloaded or imported dynamically by real estate agents for use on their own sites, and in other area it's guarded like Fort Knox.

Import to MLS = I'm not sure, but I believe there's some hope that O-R will at some point have the capability to import MLS data. I believe that for now that's a non-functioning function. I removed all references to it from my site.
    Sonja Ray

yes we eventually hope to have mls imports... but the problem is that all mls' are unique in how they store data.

Import and Export to MLS is great used in this way.

Lets say you have a Brokerage with 50 realtors.

Each realtor has his/her own site. On this site they post thier listings. The MLS import/export feature gives you information you can use so that all listings are visible and updated on the brokerage site just by the updates done on the agent site.

Make sense?

MjrGaelic, can you clarify that for me, please? Do you mean the this functionality is available now, with the existing MLS import feature, that different agents within a brokerage could be posting their own listings on their own separate sites, and this data can be imported dynamically via the mls import feature?

How would one go about doing that? I could find no configuration settings about where the MLS import would import from, or if there was any field mapping setting, or anything about how it would work.
    Sonja Ray

Yes, this functionality is available now; look in the /mlsimport directory. There is a file in there called import.php

By checking the MLS import function when adding the listing you engage the import.php script thus populating the other database.

This file has the fields in it to import and export to another database.. While I haven't set up a working copy of this yet I do mean to soon though just for giggles.

My gathering of this would be that both sites should be on the same server with a low security structure so that the script could browse the root path of the domain hosting the images.. (thus control panels like Ensim would need to be set to lower security)

Regards,

Ryan
    Last edited by MjrGaelic; 07-27-2004 at 07:02 PM. Reason: can't spell

Oh, wow.... that opens up a new world of possibilities....!

Thanks for expanding on that.
    Sonja Ray