Thread: PHP 4 vs PHP 5

Default PHP 4 vs PHP 5

Does any body know the difference between these two. I have been learning PHP 4 for the last couple of months, and now I see that there is also a PHP 5. can anybody tell me why two versions. is PHP 5 a newer relese?.
    "My theory is that if you look confident you can pull off anything - even if you have no clue what you're doing…" Unknown

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by svtrider
    Does any body know the difference between these two. I have been learning PHP 4 for the last couple of months, and now I see that there is also a PHP 5. can anybody tell me why two versions. is PHP 5 a newer relese?.
    PHP5 is the next generation of PHP.

http://www.php.net

go check it out, they talk about the differences there..

I'd keep learning PHP4, it'll be a while before webhosts upgrade/adopt PHP5, and you won't lose anything by learning PHP4..
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advise, i will keep on learning PHP4 and then I will upgrade to php 5.

"How do you know so much about everything? was asked by a very wise and intelligent man; and the answer was, "By never being afraid or ashamed to ask questions as to anything of which I was ignorant. " --John Abbott
    "My theory is that if you look confident you can pull off anything - even if you have no clue what you're doing…" Unknown

Default big diff...

There are some funky bugs, I know that is why I have upgraded most of my stuff to 5, also new abilities/support. If u do php4 you should be fine of php5