Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Site Forum

Default Site Forum

Has anyone implemented a site forum that will use members/agents login info. This is so that users will not have to signup once for the site and once for the forum.

Thanks

Default Why what do you mean?

are you talking about a seperate site from OR?

Default hmmm... Reffering to members area?

are you referring to the members area so a member could be a agent as well, if so why?

Okay, let me clarify. I want a forum for my site. It doesn't matter if it is built in to OR or seperate. As long as it will use the same database to get the login info for my members and agents. So if a user signs up as a member of the main site, if they go to the forum they can use the id/password they just got and not have to register seperately to use the forum. And no, I don't want members to be agents.

Is this any clearer?

It takes a bit tweak but is possible.

Intall a forum, you can use the same db as OR sinds it have a table_prefix.
    Edit your registration form for agents/members and ad the registration form for the forum in there.
    You can do that by registration let fill twice username, password and email.
    Put in your submit code, the submit for both agents reg. and forum.

Easyer way is to make a sperated reg. form for the forum on agents admin page, so the agent is free to sign up for the forum.

Marten

Arrow working on it!

i found a small forum from a chipmunk that doesn't have all the unnecessary bloat for what we are using OR for. I integrated the thing into my site perfectly at AD Colorado Property Listings

i wanted to do the same thing you are talking about before i ran into the dilemna of guest accounts. Both OR and CP call there users from a mySQL DB essentially my idea was to change all the forum files to point ID, user_name, user_password so that when you log into the account from anywhere on the site you will have logged into both the forums and the Listings manager.
    The forums i use allow anyone to post (you can set it otherwise)... as a "guest" this is convenient for those people who only wish to ask a question or view previous posts. i don't , however, like the idea of having a guest user account accessing the listings area where anyone could post if they wanted to without signing up (imagine 50 listings by guest throughout the admin panel.). So after racking my brain for a while (currently still racking). i am going to keep the guest user account inside of the original table of the DB and not include it in the tables for OR. presently i'm working on adding a couple of lines of code that recognize guest as a separate account. it essentially will have a member name called guest with the same password.. allowing only to save searches without being able to post.

if this interests you, let me know, i should be finished with it in a couple of days ... time permitting!

<<<Edited>>>
    OK figured out the guest account thing.. but the new problem is integrating the new fields into the exiting Users_DB table.

fields can be added but they seem to screw up the existing fields. i.e.- when i try to login with an existing account, it says that username /password are incorrect. chipmunk board uses sessions the same way that OR does.. so i know the user/pass will be compatable...

so in finishing with a furious fervor for failed findings, does anyone else know how this could be implemented.. its not the biggest deal.. but would be an interesting convenience to users........
    Last edited by flipside72; 10-06-2004 at 10:49 PM. Reason: new fangled problem

So did you get the forum to pull user id and password from the OR database? I am sorry if you stated this above. I have figured out a way to keep the logged in users from getting to the admin field, and keep them from posting listings, just need a forum to integrate that will allow users to stayed logged in on the forum.

Default update

presently the forums are set up using a different table for the admiin/users accounts... the guest account is still a hassle... still working on it though, will post it when the mod is complete.
    <<<edited>>>

OK.. as long as the guest account is disabled within the forum script the project will work.. otherwise your going to have to create a different setup so that OR doesn't think that a "guest" account allows people to post listings (plus it will really reak havoc on the email system)...

give me a week or so to package this up and post it here
    Last edited by flipside72; 10-28-2004 at 01:38 PM. Reason: addendum

yudaman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by flipside72
    give me a week or so to package this up and post it here
    Hello Flip,
    Did you ever succeed in doing this? I tried to follow the link to your site but it was down. Please let me know if you found a solution.

Default I wonder if anyone .......

Did anyone succeed in doing this? ....... adding a forum to their site. If so, please help.