+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RETS and PHP and Open-Realty

I have been reading and reading on these subjects. This is all new to me. RETS says they are the standard for the National Association of Realtors. I am not technical enough to understand all this XML and DTD talk. I was really hoping to be able to use php to some how connect to a MLS database as well as to work in the beautiful thing that Open-Realty has become. At this point I am not even able to ask a good question. I only know that I like Open-Realty a lot and that I also need to connect to a MLS database. Could someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction? How do I learn? Thank you. -AnnieO

First we will need to know what database your mls is using. Is it MLXchange, or Realtor.com? Actually it's probalby not Realtor.com

Would be nice to get that connection wouldn't it.

Anyway, here's what you can do, export all the files that you want, ie: active listings, pending listings, etc.

Make sure you export them so that it is eithr cvs, or tab delimited.

Then you can import it in to mysql using phpmanager, or some other php program.

I'm working on an odbc driver that will help with this, but haven't had the time to dig into it.

JP

Smile MLS DATABASE, MySQL & PHPmyAdmin INterface

It took 5 months for me to figure out how to make an MLS database.
    You gotta get one of your realtor's to share their username and password
    to access the FTP space where the countywide property listings are stored.
    In my case, the files on their FTP space were all gzip and tar files. Gzip for the text. Tar for the pics. I used many, many programs to create a file compatible with MySQL and the PHPmyAdmin interface on my server.

After lots of trial and error, I reduced the job down to about 10-15 steps,
    (not really counting--seems like it was a thousand) and finally used a .csv (comma separated value) file created in Microsoft Excel for Mac to upload to MySql through PHPmyAdmin interface. If you do it this way, you gotta change the semi-colon ; to just a comma , for uploading the csv file. CSV is only an extension used in some programs to signify the type of the file. You will see that area in PHPmyadmin after you create all the tables and rows and save the database skeleton and name it. Then you click on upload text file. Simple. My csv file magically poured into the database skeleton I'd created. The details are so nitpicky! Everything was a mystery at first. However, it is so satisfying to see the results.

I'm testing Dadabik.org database software and Open-Realty database to try and make my job easier because I ran into a bigger problem: Accessing the database from a HTML form on a website and updating weekly. And, I still have not figured out how to access MLS pics that have matching MLS numbers, but with the county name in front of the numbers.

So far, I am finding Open-Realty to be full of goodies and even though it's breaking my head to reconfigure the .php files, I will eventually get through the learning curve, I hope. And lastly, I am checking out the RETS client and have just asked my server where I can install it.

Email me if you want to talk about creating a MLS database in your town--I'd love to learn more about how other MLS provide data. *I've seen in the forums that some MLS or IDX exchanges offer a simple link to their databases. Everything should be so simple.

:lol:

Default Re: RETS and PHP and Open-Realty

I have gone through a similar experience in uploading listings from my local rets service, but now am getting a timeout from mysql. I loaded about 14,000 listings, and can browse, but have not been able to set up a simple search by city. Any thoughts?

Would it be possible to share your methods og connecting with PHP? Do you know what server you are pulling from; i.e., Rappatoni, etc. I have some rough VB6 code that works, but would be interested in a better way.

Thanks!

Look in the addon section for viele rets.

Quote Originally Posted by digidata
    I have gone through a similar experience in uploading listings from my local rets service, but now am getting a timeout from mysql. I loaded about 14,000 listings, and can browse, but have not been able to set up a simple search by city. Any thoughts?
    This is a common problem on shared servers which have limitations on the number of mysql process that can be opened and the size of the files. Many hosts have a 16mg file size limit and many mls files when unpacked will top 100mgs. We stopped doing IDX conversions on shared servers because of this and similar restrictions.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann the_sandking is on a distinguished road

Shared accounts are just fine if they are the right kind, however what you pay per mo is likely an indicator of how packed your host keeps its servers. You don't have to pay a lot to get the right kind of hosting, but $9.95/mo (or less) is definitely not the kind of account that you could ever expect to depend on.

IDX/RETS imports are very mission critical processes, always use proper hosting.

A great RETS solution for Open-Realty:
    http://transparent-realestate.com
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Default Re: MLS DATABASE, MySQL & PHPmyAdmin INterface

Hi, some questions:
    Whats the difference between "default OR website" and "RETS OR website"?
    What we need to do to make the data compatible to export?
    Must we only rename variables like RETS format?

We really will appreciate your advice.

Oscar H. Olmedo
    Mexico

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann the_sandking is on a distinguished road

Default Re: MLS DATABASE, MySQL & PHPmyAdmin INterface

Quote Originally Posted by holmedo View Post
    Hi, some questions:
    Whats the difference between "default OR website" and "RETS OR website"?
    A default OR install loosely means that you are manually entering listings. A RETS enabled OR website means that you are importing listings and photos from a RETS server.

Quote Originally Posted by holmedo View Post
    What we need to do to make the data compatible to export?
    In terms of Open-Realty, RETS is not used for exporting listings, it is used to import listings.

If you need to export listings, you will need some sort of an export application.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

+ Reply to Thread