Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Notify me when a listing that contains XXX becomes available

phalseid,

Are you sure that the saved search actually enables the user to be emailed when a listing matching their search criteria becomes available?

I thought the saved search function merely saves the search criteria for next time they visit?

Can someone please confirm as I feel this feature is the number one "must have" feature that has been discussed for so long now.

Cheers,

Graham

Phalseid,

Can you give some more details as to how you went about creating the "email me when listing matches my search criteria"

Does your solution actually email people when new listings are added that match their search? Or does it simply email them the results of their search then and there?

Cheers,

Graham
    www.fontgod.com

in my version (have not tested this one, but it appears the same)
    you have 1) Saved Searches and 2) Favorites. They are completely different. To have access to either functionality, you must be a "member" and logged in.

Favorites simply stores the listing id and link to an existing listing (try it out on the demo). this is stored in the database

Saved Searches will email you any new properties that are added that match the search string. you can meke the email say whatever you want. currently, it just is a link.

whenever a new listing is created, or calls

include("notifynewlisting.php");

hope this helps. pm me if you need further help.
    phalseid

PhalseID Is right that should be working. I cant say it was test well after i merged that all in. If you can confirm it doesnt work, post a bug report. I am working on O-R 2.0 right now, so it is a good time to file bug reports as i can make sure it is fixed for 2.0.

thanks Greengiant and Phalseid (i just caught on to your nickname, clever)

Im currently using a different fork (christina's fork) on a few sites and havent yet tested your fork on my own server but now that I know this notify feature is working I may just have to change to Open-realty

However, I can confirm a bug or oversite in the Saved Search function, at least on the demo version you have running at open-realty.org .

The bug/oversite is as follows.

** If a viewer does a search and there are no current records that match the search then they are not given the option to save search, it simply says "Your search returned no results". What really needs to happen is the search needs to be saveable whether there are any current records matching their search or not.

Ideally, if there were no matching records then the results page should give a short blurb something like "There are currently no records matching your search. If you would like to be informed via email when a new listing matches your requirements click here to save your search" or something similar.

Actually I think the saved search function could benefit from the following:
    Many real estate sites that have this feature call it a "Property Watch" and have a direct link to a page where the user can fill in the details or class of properties they are interested in and then just click the send button. Rather than actually having to perform the search first and then adding the saved search. Dont get me wrong, the way you currently have it is also very useful but being able to have both methods would be even better in my opinion. Have a look at this site below for an example of what I mean, incidently the site below is also originally based on Jons open realty.

http://www.realestatelistingmanager.com/notify.php

Hope this helps, really looking forward to what you have in store for V2, especially the Paypal functionality.

By the way, Im not as green to Openrealty as you may think, Ive been using it since the early days of jon's V2.6 and was a regular poster over at his forum.

I suppose I should pull my finger out and get a real account on this forum.

Cheers,

Graham
    www.fontgod.com
    [Custom made personal handwriting fonts]

Thanks for the bug report. Hope to see you on the forums more often.

Quote Originally Posted by phalseid
    in my version (have not tested this one, but it appears the same)
    you have 1) Saved Searches and 2) Favorites. They are completely different. To have access to either functionality, you must be a "member" and logged in.

Favorites simply stores the listing id and link to an existing listing (try it out on the demo). this is stored in the database

Saved Searches will email you any new properties that are added that match the search string. you can meke the email say whatever you want. currently, it just is a link.

whenever a new listing is created, or calls

include("notifynewlisting.php");

hope this helps. pm me if you need further help.
    could you give us the code for notifynewlisting.php and instructions on how to install it? I'm very enthusiastic about this feature!

I'm glad this got brought back up. It's potentially a killer feature and really caters to an agent's potential/existing clients. I'd love to work this into OR, especially in the method described earlier without having to actually save a search.

I have only been able to get notify new listings to work when a user does an all inclusive search. Is this features supposed to work on 'more refined' searches?

what's the status on this feature?