Thread: MLS & IDX - How do some appear to get around the rules?

Default MLS & IDX - How do some appear to get around the rules?

I am building my first agent site and have run into a wall with regards to integrating full MLS search. When I called the local MLS provider (NWMLS), they said they only provide the data to brokers. When I called the broker (windermere), they said they only offer a framed solution (crap!).

However, when I scan some of the Windermere agent's web sites, some of them seem to host a direct feed to the same MLS:

http://moghaddasrealty.com/
    (This solution is provided by graphicaldata.com)

When you perform a search on this site, it returns NWMLS listings. Assuming this person is an agent and not a broker, how are they able to circumvent the rules?

I am about ready to concede on this one, but not until I have exhausted all of the possibilities. This has been more frustrating than I could've imagined.

- Gavin

Default Mls

Do you have an agent as a client that is a member of the local MLS - they have access to the MLS which you can export and then work the import into OR
    - Rodney -
    "Let's Build Something Together"

Quote Originally Posted by gavinski
    I am about ready to concede on this one, but not until I have exhausted all of the possibilities. This has been more frustrating than I could've imagined.

- Gavin
    The IDX at that site is framed.

From the NRA website - notice the term "mandated"
    http://www.realtor.org/realtorae.ns...DX?OpenDocument

February 24, 2005

IDX Resources for Brokers and Agents

What is IDX:
    Internet Data Display (IDX) is a policy that allows brokers to exchange consent to display one another's property listings on the Internet. This program is known by several names, including Internet Data Display (IDD) and Broker Reciprocity(sm), and several MLSs across the country have been doing it for years. But as of Jan. 1, 2002, NAR has mandated that all MLS must offer their participants a way to display the listings of other participants on their own Web sites. In other words, brokers can now post listing information directly from their local MLS on their own Web site without having to frame another other listing site -- with some limitations.

I have a fully integrated IDX at http://broadwaykeys.com for OR version 2. It took a lot of time effort and programming to make this happen.

Default IDX & Broker

When the MLS says it provides data to brokers, they don't mean Windmere in this case, they mean the agents brokers. In this case, they mean directly to Mike M. Most MLS will provide raw data, but provide it to the broker or their designee. In our area, the broker must submit paperwork to allow you access, and they have you sign confidentiality papers, etc.

Call the MLS back and have them fax over the papers, have Mike M sign them and you should be OK.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

The Office wishing to obtain access to the IDX for itself or on behalf of its Agents must *also* be a participant in the IDX program, and agree to be bound by its rules.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Default MLS Update

I decided to contact one of the vendors and see if they would be able to offer a solution. In this case it was IDX Broker (idxbroker.com) and their very helpful rep named Jeff Kast. Here was part of his response -

"NWMLS only allows two download agreements per office. If your client is with Windermere, my guess is that they already have both download agreements tied up. If this is the case, no one, including us, can help you. This limit of two download agreements make it very difficult to provide IDX to anyone using NWMLS, especially Agents.

If both of the download agreements are accounted for, but only one is in use, we might be able to reassign one of the agreements."

After talking with NWMLS, as well as my client's principle broker, it turns out that both download agreements were already accounted for.

Every MLS has different rules, and this case the restrictive rules of NWMLS means my client is pretty much out of luck.

- Gavinski

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by gavinski
    Every MLS has different rules, and this case the restrictive rules of NWMLS means my client is pretty much out of luck.

- Gavinski
    Yup, those pesky rules again.. Most of the MLS's software vendors (and the MLS too) want to discourage the use of IDX. One of these ways is with awkward and harsh compliance rules. Another way is to use insane methods of providing the data and especially the images. NWMLS's image retrieval method would have made you slit your wrists anyway.

IDX data is basically a report, run against a host database on a recurring basis. As such, the creator of this report (Software vendor) has a lot of flexibility here to format fields, and data in a sane and rational manner suited for what IDX was intended for... but, most vendors want to limit access to the very few that are capable of navigating the pitfalls. They have their own solutions to sell after all..

The NAR basically forced MLS's and their Software vendors to create this stuff, so their hearts weren't really into the task. Politics derived from greed, as always, stagnates real progess.

"How dare they make us open up the data.. This is our market.."
    Last edited by the_sandking; 03-02-2005 at 12:52 PM.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The problem with restrictive policies is that they unleash unintended consequences. In the case of restrictive IDX policies, I have seen at least one example where several brokers banded together and forced the MLS to open up. The MLS was smart enough to give in and satisfy their members while it could. After all it is the brokers who are the members and the brokers who give them the data. In a time when the internet is indispensible to real estate brokers and IDX is becoming a competitive necessity, restrictive policies will serve to hasten a backlash. My guess is that it would take 1-5% of the brokers at almost any MLS to force the issure. Smart MLSs will cave immediately, dumb ones .....I leave that to your imagination.

I recently read a report that there are over 1,200,000 active real estate professionals in the US. A large portion have IDX access. Good IDX solutions are and will continue to be in demand.

I have been working on an IDX solution for two years, unforturnately OR version 1 is not robust enough to handle heavy loads, version 2 is much better. We have several more test runs before it is ready but then I will be looking for partners. I am working on a partner plan and still open to suggestions. If anyone is interested pm or email me.
    Last edited by frobn; 03-02-2005 at 02:20 PM.

Question

Frank how does this compare to IDX Pro or Birdview?