View Poll Results: More Customizable?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should Customizable Options be made available in Admin Area?

0 0%
  • Is what we are doing now, adabtable enough to survive?

0 0%
  • Will 'easier access' to OR promote its growth/survival?

0 0%
  • Will features like SMS integration make OR attractive?

0 0%

Thread: More Customizable?

Default More Customizable?

Hi All

I am excited about OR and I am seeing good things for the future. I did enjoy the discussion on the future with XML which brings me to another point; to what extent can what we're doing now, survive in the future... or better yet, adapt to survive?

A few things:

Currency: Is it so that all currency symbols should be in $? Why can we not make that a variable that can be changed from within the Admin Area to whatever currency? (How can this be changed?)

Metric System: The metric system i.e. metres vs. feet; litres vs. gallons, is more widely used than the 'old' system.... even 'old' Europe uses it. Can this be made more generic by merely asking for plot size? or size of property? or maybe even a bult in app to choose metric or "old" ...? (I know this is changable, but it can be made more accessible this way already)

Logo's and other images: What about a feature where the Logo of the company using OR can automatically replace the OR Logo by adding a feature in Admin Area to upload these images (format, size, name etc specified) AND also making it possible to do this for other images ...
    Almost like a built in FTP in the Admin Area, but just taking the quess work out of the whole equation ... especailly for beginners and novices.

Other Feautures: Why not make the OR capable of FREE webmail for clients - they do now not only save their listings on your site but also when sending it to a friend, use name@open-realty.com(yourname.com) - when registering as a member, this can easily be achieved as an added feature.

SMS Integration: Small Message System - cell phone to cell phone; web server to cell phone etc. is SO BIG right no and has SO many possibilities. One can create a request to SMS details of property to registered members cell phone (asking Prime Rates can also mean another income stream); one can advertise this offline as well! (I.e. Property ABC, for more details SMS Ref#1005 to 3440. You will receive a reply from our web server with more details on this property)

Well I am not writing these things to give you guys more to do, just sharing a few ideas .. I don;t know if this is the place to it, but there it is out there.

God bless and thanks for the good work you guys are doing.
    A MAN A

Default Wait for OR2

Interesting ideas;
    I see all these features are big in Europe; A few of my clients have requested similar things. Wait and see what happens with OR2, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Jared.

to institute webmail requires access to the server API that most users of this free script will not have. The OR developers are always keen to avoid features that are not commonly available to shared hosting users.

SMS requires an SMS server or the inclusion of 3rd party content on the site. Not only is the SMS server out of the question for all but the largest of firms, but the inclusion of ad sponsored software in an open source distro is probably, at minimum, a bad idea.

The metric system has not made 1 step into usage in the US real estate business, so it is of no use here. I suppose it is of use to others, so that kind of thing does make sense.

All good ideas for custom setups, but maybe not for distros.

My 2 cents

tombones;
    In looking at many of your posts, I see that you have a spank of knowledge on IT and networking. Thats right, I should have thought of that before I posted, many of those features will require changes to the core and access to API. I'm experiencing that now with my attempts to make the {featured_listings_horizontal} present more detail other than the listing name.

amana;
    To revise my last post, even though OR2 will have many fine features, its open enough for you to consider third party solutions that can marry up or blend in with open-realty.

Jared.

didn't someone already post domething about featured listings and more detail with a cross table select or a left join? Do I need to make one?

I searched with no success...

Jared.

Talking Revise my last post

Quote Originally Posted by jaredjritchey
    tombones;
    amana;
    To revise my last post, even though OR2 will have many fine features, its open enough for you to consider third party solutions that can marry up or blend in with open-realty.

Jared.
    Hey Jared - by the way, if you search records of the oldest people who ever lived, Jared lived, next to Metusaleh (969), the longest - a whopping 962 years!

I realise all these integration problems will have to be overcome but I have seen huge leaps in just a few years in South Africa regarding SMS. In Europe and especially South Africa, SMS is BIG, and not only confined to the multinational with huge server capabilities. I have seen webbased, mostly FREE services for most, except naturally for buying the actual SMS from an SP, bring out new and fresh ideas all the time and also regarding Real Estate use.

I pesonally send out +-2000 SMS's per month to unique users through www.smsmalls.co.za.

SMS is not going to die soon, in fact it will grow even more powerful SOON. MMS, G3, all these technologies plus a willing recipient of a few lines of information - SMS costs in SA are +-R0.65 from normal service providers. You can send out 1000's of SMS's for R0.31. They can reply to an avertised SMS number and be charged anything from R1 to R30.

There are competition lines opening, bidding lines, Lotto lines - and revenue is all through Prime Rate SMS

More Examples:
    http://www.smsmalls.co.za ................ http://www.sms.ac/ ... http://www.mtnsms.com/... http://www.winsms.co.za...
    http://www.textually.org
    AND
    http://www.realtysms.co.za/site/ (why not bundle your softwares together...?)

Yes it is local .... but do yourself a favour and Google SMS and see what you get!

OK! I am raelly jumping on this SMS band wagon. Forgive me.

Thanks for the replies.
    I am looking forward to ORv2

Amana,

I like all your ideas except the "FREE webmail". It might be complicated to implement.

Agents ususally already have their emails anyways.

If its a company like Coldwell , each agent is allowed anemail@coldwell and others real estate companies work this way too.
    RealEstate

Default this for 2.0 or 1.1.5b OR ?

hi amana

Just checking but is this for 2.0 or 1.1.5b OR ?

2.0 - go here: http://defects.open-realty.org/

for - 1.1.5b OR

Currency: moved of the common.php file into admin
    Metric System: moved to modules section make javascript / php page
    Logo's: moved of the common.php file into admin section make ftp program with img.png,jpg, other
    plus image view page

All can be done

Al

Question Last Idea - I'm new to this and am catching up

Hi All

Thanks for the replies

One more thought - in many countries (especially South Africa) to be online is exorbitantly expensive THUS, (question) will ORv2 have an offline app where you can compile your upload and go and dump it on your server - even with a built in ftp or so? If not it could be a cool feature worth investigating.

Chiao
    AMANA