Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to add a nofollow to links in sort area

Default how to add a nofollow to links in sort area

I've been trying to tidy up my URL management and have been able to locate most areas where I wanted to tweak nofollow. I'm stuck trying to find where in the code I would be able to change this:

<div class="resultsheader">Sort Listings By: <a href="/view-listings.html?action=searchresults&amp;sortby=List _Price&amp;sorttype=ASC&amp;cmsrealty=user">Listin g Price</a> : <a href="/view-listings.html?action=searchresults&amp;sortby=Bedr ooms&amp;sorttype=ASC&amp;cmsrealty=user">Bedrooms </a> : <a href="/view-listings.html?action=searchresults&amp;sortby=Bath s&amp;sorttype=ASC&amp;cmsrealty=user">Baths</a> : <a href="/view-listings.html?action=searchresults&amp;sortby=Subd ivision&amp;sorttype=ASC&amp;cmsrealty=user">Subdi vision</a> : <a href="/view-listings.html?action=searchresults&amp;sortby=Sqft &amp;sorttype=ASC&amp;cmsrealty=user">Square Feet</a></div>

So in search.inc.php :

I did this although it had no affect:

changed this:

$header_title = '<a href="index.php?action=searchresults&amp;sortby=' . $field_name . '&amp;' . $sorttypestring . $guidestring . '">' . $field_caption . '</a>';

to this:

$header_title = '<a href="index.php?action=searchresults&amp;sortby=' . $field_name . '&amp;' . $sorttypestring . $guidestring . '" rel="nofollow">' . $field_caption . '</a>';

I was certain the above was where the change needed to happen. Any ideas where in OR code I might be able to make all of the urls in that sort block results header a nofollow?

With kind regards,

Default Re: how to add a nofollow to links in sort area

Quote Originally Posted by mrealty View Post
    Any ideas where in OR code I might be able to make all of the urls in that sort block results header a nofollow?
    Assuming a default "search.inc.php" core file (O-R v.2.5.6), you need to modify two lines:

Line 1158, from
    PHP Code:
    $header_title '<a href="index.php?action=searchresults&amp;sortby=' $field_name '&amp;' $sorttypestring $guidestring '">' $field_caption '</a>'
    To
    PHP Code:
    $header_title '<a href="index.php?action=searchresults&amp;sortby=' $field_name '&amp;' $sorttypestring $guidestring '" rel="nofollow">' $field_caption '</a>'
    Line 1208, from
    PHP Code:
    $field[$x] = '<a href="index.php?action=searchresults&amp;sortby=' $field_name '&amp;' $sorttypestring $guidestring '">' $field_caption '</a>'
    To
    PHP Code:
    $field[$x] = '<a href="index.php?action=searchresults&amp;sortby=' $field_name '&amp;' $sorttypestring $guidestring '" rel="nofollow">' $field_caption '</a>'
    Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

Not something I had considered or worried about before. Is this of any major SEO benefit? Could the original poster comment on his motivation please?

That was the line I missed (1208). Works like a champ! Thanks Eduardo.

Donation made (although I can't afford to donate $10 for every question, since I have a bazillion of them, I still donate often, and I appreciate the help).

Transaction ID: ****58532

@ zarathustra:

I have been going through the OR code, while keeping an extremely detailed change log, and changing all of the duplicate and non important URLs to "nofollow." I also have a way to inject meta robots tags on certain OR pages so I can do "noindex" where needed.

It's sad to see that most folks who setup OR (or web sites in general) think nothing of their URL management. I'll admit, I wasn't so picky about it until a recent mishap that forced me to take a closer look at the management.

I'm defining a manageable set of URLs that I consider permanent URLs, and am marketing the daylights out of them. If you look closely at the bigger marketing picture, you will see that time is a limited resource. Gbot only has so much time to crawl your site when it visits. If it spends 8 hours per day crawling/recrawling URLs for listings that no longer exist, or URLs of paginated listings that have shifted because of an addition or deletion, then it has that much less time to crawl your "target" pages - if they are even gotten to. Contrary to popular belief, getting traffic is not the goal. Getting users exactly what they ask for in their search engine query and ultimately converting that user to a sale is the goal.

To achieve this I've got to minimize the junk URLs (like all of the ones listed in this post plus all of the others I've made a nofollow) and the duplicate URLs and focus on the URLs I want to rank high. Another goal is to put a stop to infinite URLs (having URLs crawled for each listing).

To answer, this is of paramount SEO benefit (keep in mind I'm operating in the context of the addons listed below and I also have roughly seven thousand listings on any given day). I cringe when I see posts from folks who are having their listing pages crawled. The fatal attraction in doing so is that you will be doing just great in the beginning, but as your mismanaged URLs grow in number (towards infinity) gbot gets more and more bogged down in crawling/recrawling all of them and your ranking goes down with it. And by the time you figure out what's going on, you've got an entire database of hundreds or thousands of URLs over at G that you've got to synchronize with your site with absolutely no good way to get rid of the mass number of unwanted URLs.

I could go on for hours about this, but what I've mentioned so far should suffice as an explanation of motivation for doing the strategically placed nofollows.

For some good related reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nofollow

Donation made (although I can't afford to donate $10 for every question, since I have a bazillion of them, I still donate often, and I appreciate the help).
    LOL! WE thank you very much! Be cool, nobody is expecting from you a donation for every answer you get at the Forum.
    [EDITED] But... nobody will complain if you do that!!! [/EDITED]

...I'm defining a manageable set of URLs that I consider permanent URLs, and am marketing the daylights out of them. If you look closely at the bigger marketing picture, you will see that time is a limited resource. Gbot only has so much time to crawl your site when it visits. If it spends 8 hours per day crawling/recrawling URLs for listings that no longer exist, or URLs of paginated listings that have shifted because of an addition or deletion, then it has that much less time to crawl your "target" pages - if they are even gotten to. Contrary to popular belief, getting traffic is not the goal. Getting users exactly what they ask for in their search engine query and ultimately converting that user to a sale is the goal. To achieve this I've got to minimize the junk URLs (like all of the ones listed in this post plus all of the others I've made a nofollow) and the duplicate URLs and focus on the URLs I want to rank high. Another goal is to put a stop to infinite URLs (having URLs crawled for each listing). To answer, this is of paramount SEO benefit (keep in mind I'm operating in the context of the addons listed below and I also have roughly seven thousand listings on any given day). I cringe when I see posts from folks who are having their listing pages crawled. The fatal attraction in doing so is that you will be doing just great in the beginning, but as your mismanaged URLs grow in number (towards infinity) gbot gets more and more bogged down in crawling/recrawling all of them and your ranking goes down with it. And by the time you figure out what's going on, you've got an entire database of hundreds or thousands of URLs over at G that you've got to synchronize with your site with absolutely no good way to get rid of the mass number of unwanted URLs...
    I agree 100% - I make your words, my words.

Eduardo
    Last edited by ebmarques; 06-10-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: nobody will complain if you do that

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

Very interesting stuff. Obvious once you explain it, but something that had previously not occurred to me. Thanks very much for your clarification.

As a small contribution I would have to wonder if there was a way of achieving this with javascript? Certainly I could make a jQuery script to find matching patterns in url's and apply rel:nofollow to them. I already do something like that to automatically apply little icons to external links....just a cosmetic thing.

If we could automate this system you are employing it would both eradicate the manual time you are taking to do it, and...a considerable benefit...leave the OR source intact.

I will put some thought into it and report back.

Hmmm. It gets more interesting. My first five minutes of research suggested I was being silly, because I remembered that GoogleBot won't execute javascript!

However I am now running into articles like this : http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/new-realit...avascript-4930 and this: http://omninoggin.com/web-developmen...ofollow-links/ that suggest that Google is now running scripts before crawling. Anyone have any up to date information?

Quote Originally Posted by zarathustra View Post
    Anyone have any up to date information?
    I don't have any information about Google... But I want to thank you to let me know about ANOTHER great JQuery hint:

Code:
    jQuery(document).ready(function($){
    $(".CLASSNAME a").attr("rel", "nofollow");
    $(".CLASSNAME a").attr("rel", "");
    });
    I am playing with the above and having A LOT OF FUN!!! Thanks!

Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs

Any ideas where in OR code I might be able to make all of the urls in that sort block results header a nofollow?
    BTW Mark,

With the above JQuery hint you don't need to modify the core file!
    You just need:
    Code:
    jQuery(document).ready(function($){
    $(".resultsheader a").attr("rel", "nofollow");
    });
    Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs