Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why use Addons and what you can do with them

Default Re: Why use Addons and what you can do with them

It will not work. The page is loaded first and then the tags are replaced.

That is the problem. the addon is returning the title tag I want displayed then the OR is adding the title also. So if you look at the source code there are now 2 titles. Only on some pages, the ones I am adding a different tag in the addon than the defailt.

I tried this also, when the addon detects a need to change the title I use $_SESSION['meta'] = TRUE;
    {addon_metatags_show}
    <?
    if(!isset($_SESSION['meta']))
    {

?>
    <title>{site_title}</title>
    {load_meta_keywords}
    {load_meta_description}
    <?
    }
    ?>

There are still a few OR functions (especially the admin ones like add and update listing) that don't have a template (pity, because I use these functions in the user frontend), so I guess the addon mechanism will not work here. Is there anyway to overrule these functions without modifing core files? Are templates planned for these functions?

Both functions can be done with an addon. My soon to be released OR Cart addon has it's own custom add/edit listings functions. Not much different from the normal ones but I had to change the functions a bit.

In version 2.4, the main list of listings on the edit my listings page is templated. Due to the way the add and edit listing pages are generated and that every site is different based on the fields the user sets up, templating those functions will be a bit harder but we're working to make them a bit nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by pbflash View Post
    Both functions can be done with an addon. My soon to be released OR Cart addon has it's own custom add/edit listings functions. Not much different from the normal ones but I had to change the functions a bit.
    Could you explain how you did this? I thought the add-on system was dependent on template tags. I could not find any clues in the documentation on how to do this elsewhise.

Quote Originally Posted by pbflash View Post
    In version 2.4, the main list of listings on the edit my listings page is templated. Due to the way the add and edit listing pages are generated and that every site is different based on the fields the user sets up, templating those functions will be a bit harder but we're working to make them a bit nicer.
    Great. What is the planned releasedate for 2.4? (it's not in the roadmap)

Could you explain how you did this?
    I copied the current functions into a function in the addon, made my changes, and changed the links in the admin template to point to my addon instead of the normal function.

No set release date for 2.4 yet but we are hoping for the 15th.

I don't no if its already supported or if others have asked for the same feature

But i would like .FLV flash video files to be included into the supported file types

If users can add videos to there listings this could be of a benifit to allow small videos to be included for a property

This feature is also very useful for non real estate sites such as classifieds types using or

.FLV files seem to have become to default way to place video on websites, i'm sure a simple player could be included and of course the file sizes could be allowed to be set in the admin area

This feature would be good to switch on or off as needed for the application
    I think i have forgotten more then i have learned over the past few years!!!!!!!!

Feature requests should be posted in the feature request area.

Thumbs up Re: Why use Addons and what you can do with them

One challenge we bumped into a while ago was a situation where we were torn between our own instinct for creating pClasses based upon transaction type (ie. sale, rental and holiday use) and the client's preference, that leaned towards property type (ie apartment, house, boat, etc).

In the end we resolved it by using pB's excellent (and FREE.. Template Changer addon.

We created three template groups, one for each transaction type (ie sale, rental, vacation), that pulled through only the fields we needed based on type (like pricing scheme), and used property type pClasses (ie apartment, house, boat, etc) to regulate the data entry, which was the primary wish of the client.

Thanks to pB and to Eduardo and the UMP team for showing us the way on that one.

JiF

OR is one of the most simple yet flexible programs I know. I have created tons of addons to change the functionality of OR without changing a single core file. This has enabled me to mold OR to suit all my needs! Two thumbs up guys!
    Regards,

Nick

Over 2100 Costa Rica Real Estate listings at TicoVista.

-- PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME LINK OR LISTING EXCHANGE REQUEST --