Thread: English-Spanish versions simultaneously

Default English-Spanish versions simultaneously

I see references to multi-language capability planned for 2.1. Right now with 2.0.5 I gather that IF an Addon was created it could enable a site to have two different language versions (just 2 versions to start with).

I am referring to a situation where English is the dominant language for most customers, but, the option to switch to Spanish headings and navigational labels, and reading a Spanish language version of Community and Home features would be a big help to Spanish-as-first-language readers.

Since the database tables and fields are the same to contain the property information, no matter what language version, would it not be do-able to write an Addon that is referenced by a link on the homepage, for instance. My default site language is English. But, I would like to give the option of seeing the same information in Spanish by simply clicking a link--similar to offering the user multiple templates to change on-the-fly.

The Addon would, when clicked, access extra table values written to the same database that would avoid having to create a completely different installation just to offer two simultaneously available languages to users.

Perhaps a script would make this user's session, from the point they clicked the Spanish or alternate language choice, rewrite some values dynamically to keep the pages served to this user referring to the Spanish language files.

And, also referring to all the Spanish html pages that translated About Us and Contact Us and Welcome into the Spanish equivalents.

This sounds like an addon that "fakes" or temporarily overrides the choices one has to make during installation to choose one language or the other. The advantage to setting up an addon that changes and writes just enough information to the databse to enable on-the-fly versions versus two installations based on two different databases to create two different language versions, is that the Admin only has to access one database of listings to make changes to the listings themselves.

And Agent page could already have a hardcoded English and Spanish text.

Does this sound do-able until 2.1 comes along?

yes it's doable
    Open-Realty 2 Documentation

~The Difference Between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE is ATTITUDE~

Default phpBB

Open Source phpBB has always offered the user upon registration the ability to specify the source language for their viewing. It might be a model for adapting Open Realty to handle individual member language choices without deference to the source language of the installation itself.