Thread: Change language by overwriting existing files

Default Change language by overwriting existing files

Hi Ppl,

I still have the problem, that the page isn't in german yet. I started translating the whole lang.inc.php but it's damn much.
    So i thought i could make a little trick. I only translated some textparts which are important, because you can see it on the main page and the whole admin thing I didn't started translate for real.

I did all the steps wich are given in the FAQ: How to install new language files. Because of the fact I didn't want to do a complete reinstall of OR because I edited many things in the form editor and so on, I decided to choose the "Update URLS and Path only" but the Page is still in English allthought i have choosen the German language. And an German language file exists - Not all phrases are in English but thats not important (that's my opinion).

Because this way, the reinstallation didn't work i thought i could do a little trick: I did simply overwrite the existing English language file with the german one, and OR will use the "English" File allthougt its german - That was the plan.

But when i overwrite the english file (made a backup ) i got an error:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /usr/export/www/vhosts/funnetwork/hosting/azeller/zeller1/include/language/en/lang.inc.php on line 83

In Line 83 there is:

$lang['admin_page_editor'] = "Seiten Editor";
    $lang['admin_password'] = "Passwort";
    $lang['admin_template'] = "Administrationsoberfläche";

[Line 83 is that one with the admin_page_editor]

I can't understand how this might happen because the german file has the same structure like the original English one. And it didn't worked too, when i copied the original line from the English file into the German one.

Can you guys help me?

- Can you say me, how to install a new languagefile, but without loosing existing data in the database, so i don't have to edit and customize the whole settings.
    - Can you say me whats the problem in the language file.

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by drdentz; 07-18-2005 at 07:31 AM.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Quote Originally Posted by drdentz

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /usr/export/www/vhosts/funnetwork/hosting/azeller/zeller1/include/language/en/lang.inc.php on line 83

In Line 83 there is:

$lang['admin_page_editor'] = "Seiten Editor";
    $lang['admin_password'] = "Passwort";
    $lang['admin_template'] = "Administrationsoberfläche";
    The problem most likely occurs right before line 83, you have some whitespace (a blank space) or other invalid character inserted somewhere. This could also be a simple missing " or ; character.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Duuuuuude!
    You were right

Thanks a lot. Got another 3 errors, but could solve them all. Thanks a lot.
    Thanks thanks thanks And you were right. When you get a parse error, saying that one line in the file is forked up. It's not the line which is given, but one above.

Formula:

Erroline - 1 = Real line with the error.

Edit: To the admins: You might add this "trick" to change the language in the FAQ, don't you
    Last edited by the_sandking; 07-18-2005 at 03:33 PM.