Thread: Addon for Creating a "New Developments" section

Default Addon for Creating a "New Developments" section

I want to know if there is an existing addon that allows you to create a listing for an entire building, such as a condo development or large building made up of separate lofts. Once you click a particular development, you would see a listing of all properties that are part of that development.

I was looking at this page in particular as a model for how this addon would work:
    http://www.aptsandlofts.com/index.cfm?page=Dev
    Here's a more complicated example of the same concept:
    http://corcoran.com/property/nd/index.asp?where=manh

If no one knows of an existing addon that does this, then I would love to take this opportunity to create an addon. Any suggestions for starting points?

Thanks for checking this out

Default Re: Addon for Creating a "New Developments" section

I did this for someone in version 1.15. It would be a pretty complicated addon as it required a lot of changes to the core and to the db. The property class system in 2.1.X makes it a bit easier as you would need to seperate db's to store the fields for the 2 listing types.

First you would need a way to link the lofts to the building. This can be done by adding a field to the listingdb to store the parent id for the listings. You could set this parent id to the listing id of the building listing. Setting the parent id for the lofts will require replicating the add listing function and either adding a dropdown to select the parent listing or pass the variable to the function somehow.

From there it should be easy to modify the listing view page to show the child listings on the parent listing page and even a link back to the parent listing from the child listing view.

Quote Originally Posted by radius79
    I want to know if there is an existing addon that allows you to create a listing for an entire building, such as a condo development or large building made up of separate lofts. Once you click a particular development, you would see a listing of all properties that are part of that development.

I was looking at this page in particular as a model for how this addon would work:
    http://www.aptsandlofts.com/index.cfm?page=Dev
    Here's a more complicated example of the same concept:
    http://corcoran.com/property/nd/index.asp?where=manh

If no one knows of an existing addon that does this, then I would love to take this opportunity to create an addon. Any suggestions for starting points?

Thanks for checking this out
    From your examples I don't see a need for an addon. There are different ways to conceptualize what you want to do. I am not sure if this would work for you but I would create a field in the listing elememts for Building and treat it like a location for all the units that would be entered in as a listings. Then you would be able to search on MY_building along with other search criteria. You could add other buildings--- His_building, Her_building, Your_building, etc. In most IDXs there is a field for subdivision and in places like Miami Beach each condo is a subdivision. In one of our projects subdivision will be a search field for individual condo buildings. Here is a live example http://www.plantationlakeshomesonlin...antation+Lakes where we took a similar approach with subdivions.
    Last edited by frobn; 01-25-2006 at 09:50 PM.

Yes,however there's an issue with the previous idea.

If you have say 8 developments, and each dev. contains 8 units......

Yes correct, you could have 64 listings on the site, each one specific for a unit, and simply have a field called Developments, and then when when looking at a listing/unit, you will see which development it belongs to

However, what if you want also information about the development as a whole, as well as having unit specific information??

Well you could always add 8 listings to the 64 listings, one for each development.

Make a seperate browse page for browsing just developments to make things nice, and have a blank url field on each unit to link to the specific development page, but it's a bit messy

I came up with a slightly different scenario for a site I built, which had 8 developments, each of them with different units......... sometimes no units are available, sometimes 8 units are available and so on.

The site has only 8 listings, one for each development.

There is a field on the template for No. Of Units Available. This is shown as a main field in a column on search results pages so users can quickly see availability status

When going to view listing information, you will see information on the whole development

Now this is where things get different

On the thumnails column on the left of the listing info........the first few thumnails are images of the development, which when clicked on go to the larger view of the development photo.

Beneath those thumnails is a thumnail of the full develoment plan/map

The client wanted a pdf version of this available

When clicking on the map thumnail to view larger image, the image description contains a url to a pdf version

NOW THIS IMAGE DESCRIPTION FIELD PLAYS A BIG PART

Below the site plan thumnail are more thumnails........ the image names being as such

UNIT AVAILABLE!
    Unit #54/23
    Click For details

Then another thumnail
    Then....
    UNIT AVAILABLE!
    Unit #54/23
    Click For details

When you click on a thumnail for a unit, you will see the larger view (by the way the unit thumnails are of images of the map/plan for the specifed unit)

Now when viewing the larger view, the image full description is a whole long paragraph of info about that unit

SO IN SUMMARY

The main listing info is about the developments

And the thumnails on the left have become a kind of submenu, subsection to each unit available under that development, and when clicked on user is taken to a specific page about their chosen unit.....with a large pic and info about the unit (WHICH IN REALITY IS SIMPLY THE IMAGE VIEW PAGE AND THE IMAGE DESCRIPTION FIELD)

Therefore when the staff want to add a new unit to a development, they go to modify listing of their chosen development, and the button that says MODIFY LISTING IMAGES (or something like that, in the admin section), I've changed to MODIFY AVAILABLE UNITS + IMAGES

Then where they can upload an image it says EDIT UNITS

Simple as that

Sounds messy but it really works and at the end of the day the staff were happy with it

So that's just another solution for listing properties within properties, when the parent property needs information and images as well as the child property

THE MAIN DISADVANTAGE is the units are not searchable

You can search for availability status, and on search results there's a column to say how many units available - but that's it

However based on the type of info on this site, the info about the units is pretty much the same anyway, the main info is in the devlopment section

Hope this helps someone

I.S.W.Y